300 Million people now use Windows 10 Daily

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 8, 2017.

1. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    It still has the diagnostic and usage data and the lowest setting is basic. The GUI is similar to the other versions just no pre-installed stuff and no app store.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Shhhhhhhh. People love living in their dream world.

3. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    True.
    We have telemetry & gathering data in software,but we have also in hardware.
    Intel built-in,chipset-cpu-nic,remote management and gathering data from 2009 with Intel ME,VPro,AMT and so on.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Now we cannot really avoid telemetry that is impossible. When it comes to electronic devices sold now. I consider W10 easily best windows to use daily for everything. Sure it says it will collect information on you, which you can turn off after every major update.

I think I forgot to do that last time but then again I don't care. Writing this from a Macbook that is to me worse to use.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Intel has ME, AMD has PSP.

Plus you have the NSA HD firmware hack:

https://www.wired.com/2015/02/nsa-firmware-hacking/

Unless you build your computer entirely from the ground up including every transistor and all the software - you're data can probably be collected.

6. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Lets see if Windows 10 chinese gov approved edition will remove these features.

"Partnering with a state-run technology and defense company, CETC, Microsoft created its specialized version of Windows, officially called Zhuangongban, to comply with governmental standards.

What does that entail? Well, Microsoft isn’t giving away much. All the company has shared is that it doesn’t have all the same consumer apps and services that come with Windows 10 elsewhere and that it’s equipped with additional device management and security controls.

Whether those controls will allow the users to control or at least see the level of surveillance they’re being subjected to or not isn’t confirmed. But it seems more likely, given the partnership and government backing, that the security features will allow the Chinese government to keep a close eye on users.

While it’s good for Microsoft’s business to get its foot in the door and be favored by the government in China for its compliance, it doesn’t say much for the fight for internet freedom around the globe."

7. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Do you understand what TCMs are implemented for?

Because implying that PSP coprocessor has an inbuilt backdoor just as ME turned out to have one - is a bit ridiculous.
    It's not like ME and PSP are the first consumer product TCMs.
    TCM have their use cases and are certainly not a false pretense to gain unchallenged access to systems.
    -> Just because OS #1 has this vulnerability doesn't mean OS #2 has the same vulnerability.

And as much as I personally avoid any utilization of isolated closed source system integrity solutions... if someone has a reason to deploy 'Trusted Computing' policed devices then I can understand it.
    Same as I understand why some sysadmins enable the highest audit level in their AD domain, where literally 'every click' of any user is logged, but I don't see any use for me personally.

So please, don't make it sound like these HW implementations are built in to provide remote access through 3rd parties (i.e. "data hungry" government agencies).
    That ME is exploitable (until patched) has been in the news. And it's bad news, regardless if it was planned (arranged between NSA & Intel) or simply a design/implementation flaw.

Btw, in that context: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5ylb0t/please_amd_release_the_source_code_for_the_psp/
    If anybody really wants to contribute to a transparent solution they should sign this to make the PSP code open source, that way it can always be avoided that any government partyy can force a company to hide a backdoor.

8. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    Rather will send large portion of keystrokes, telemetry and files data for chinese servers, maybe they will even add some chinese gov software to run in background... It will be customized windows for chinese market... (goverment market)

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You took my post and inferred a ton of stuff out of it that I didn't mention at all.

When did ME turn out to have a built in back door? It had a security flaw that hackers exploited. That's pretty much how every single NSA hack works judging by the wikileaks papers, by exploiting flaws, not working with the companies. Having a chip that has unmitigated access to core components of the machine in a closed, black box is a bad idea. In that sense PSP and ME are the same thing. Just because we haven't heard publicly that PSP has been compromised doesn't mean that the NSA or other government organizations, don't have access to it.

And to answer your question, yes I know what TCM's are for but I don't know why you'd pretend that it's a perfect solution, or more so than ME, when in the same post you talk about the PSP source request specifically to quell concerns about it's security.

No one talking about this gives a crap about how useful a TCM is - it can still be useful while being secure and open. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

10. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    More than likely.

Linux is the best option going IMHO unless you're an avid gamer with little time or knowledge.

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    How come theres a big blue star over my house in google maps?...I never told it where I live...How can I make it forget?...:D

12. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    That NSA Firmware hack is cool as, although not much good for systems that are off line and dont use HDD or SSD.

For example, a system thats off line with no HDD/SSD an OS that installs in system ram thats booted from DVD

like the system i'm testing now only i'm connected to the internet

13. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Why do you mention AMD's PSP in the context of telemetry and data gathering, then? it has absolutely nothing to do with that.

You mention PSP in a 3-sentence post along with compromised Intel tech and NSA hacks. If that's not implying or already a statement, then i don't know what it is supposed to mean.

So what do you mean by mentioning it ?

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    My post was in response to Turanis. Not to mention that the entire thread has essentially become about compromised security and invasions of privacy.

15. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    I respect you as one of the very very few knowledgable contributors in these forums. Admitting making a mistake by putting PSP in the same spot as ME concerning (a possibly purposefully installed) vulnerability should be no problem for you and not lead to being offended.

And if you had read my initial post you could easily see that in your answer you basically repeat what I had already pointed out.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    My point was that both companies have blackbox "platform security" hardware that has unmitigated access to system memory and resources not just Intel. And while Intel ME was the only one compromised so far, both are really bad for security when compromised.

I don't know if the ME exploit was purposely installed or not - but exploits exist in almost everything if not everything. I doubt AMD's TrustZone is completely secure. This doesn't mean that I think AMD included a backdoor - but just like every other company they are prone to make mistakes. And a mistake in one of those modules gives an attacker direct access to essentially the entire system. Which I don't find ideal, lol.

I really hope AMD does the coreboot/libreboot thing though.

17. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I have Win 10 installed on a single core AMD laptop from 2005 and it runs just as well as the XP that it came with. I have disabled nothing but what you can do from within the provided settings. I don't use Cortana so that is off. Windows 10 runs excellently on underpowered hardware. Much better than Win 7 does on the same machines.