300 Million people now use Windows 10 Daily

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 8, 2017.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I use 10 at home and 10 at work, I could never go back to 7. For one at work, I rely too much on Cortana to be honest.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Genuine question, what do you use Cortana for?

I haven't found anything it can do quicker than I can do manually tbh, even on the gf's WP10, using voice to set reminders vs typing it into an alarm or calendar was not quicker

3. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Big thing I use Cortana for is my calendar. I add events, have her read me events I have on my calendar, if I'm too lazy to search for emails I'll have her search it lol. For multitasking it helps me a lot, example if I'm logged into my Devos server remotely and cannot get out of that window, I can just have Cortana read me anything aloud I need.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol, yea that was how I saw Cortana as, a gimmick or for being lazy :D

Yea I suppose that's useful if you're stuck on a screen and can't open whatever it is you need, guess it's useful for certain scenarios like that, not sure it would ever be useful for home use other than like you say, for being lazy :D

5. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Also getting a lot of feedback from my earlier post.

Let me rephrase what I said.

Let's not make this a Windows 7 vs 10 topic.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You do realize 7 is just an updated Vista with DX11 right?

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    No that is not correct. With my laptop with 16gb of RAM running windows 7 when first got it I had to restart every so often because i needed to get my ram back that was used by surfing the internet. I used alot of tabs.

8. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    To be fair vista serv pack 2 was a good OS by then, which i think windows 10 is kind of forked from Vista.

Im sure those who stuck with vista till serv pack 2 will confirm Vista release was rubbish but by serv pack 2 it was an good solid OS

bet those who slaggged vista off probs because of not giving it a chance and probs still hard core xp users back then and probs still today lol

I thought windows 10 was fairly good at release state for Microsoft, It will only get better as time passes, like they all did.

I dont use any form of windows these days, gone back to linux because i dont bother using my PC for gaming any more, so I dont really need any Microsoft OS when there are loads of free Linux OS to play around with.

although I still think windows 10 is best OS to date from Microsoft.

9. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Problem is that by the time it became decent, 7 was just around the corner so most people skipped Vista and will forever remember it as the rage worthy OS it was at release.

10. chronek

chronek Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    I have installed clean windows 10 from iso downloaded from media creation tool (it was lastes version with creators update) on 4 year old laptop what have 2 cores, 4 gb ram and slow 5400rpm disk, after install laptop was slow so i left it alone because maybe os need time... after 2 days still was 76% use of cpu, 100% use of disk, 20Mbit use of network and mouse was freezing all time, laptop did not run any my program, it was just os itself, i know i can get knowledge and try disable all that things, but it is like Vista, it runs good when you disabled all that things. Windows 7 was not like a Vista, because you did not have to disable all that things, it run almost like it should. When i installed windows 7 back on the same laptop after 10 min it was 0% cpu, 0% disk usage, 0% network and it was just wait for me to run what i want
    If i compare Windows 10 with Windows Vista, Vista was better, because of privacy concern, because you had to disable less things, because less things was integrated and you could disable almost everything and because in windows 10 i got infinite restart loop after every big update and had to always do fresh install, Windows 10 ui is not efficient for desktop users, maybe is efficient for tablets or smartphones users, but not for me.
    And calculator thing, i like windows 7 calc, it starts instantly, win10 calc 4-5 sec... it always drive me crazy....

Last edited: May 9, 2017

11. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    sounds like user error honestly ive installed it on 6 year old netbooks and 6inch tablets with 1gb RAM and it still was fine.

12. chronek

chronek Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    It was clean fresh install no user error, because nothing was installed, changed or anything, when i look for process it was system services and it was writing distribution files
    Yes, i got few computer working good with windows 10, but they always do something when is idle and that can drive me crazy too

13. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I loved Win 7, used it from day one. A really great OS. Now I really love Win 10. I've also used it from day one, configured it the way I like it. It's fast, smooth and trouble free. No forced restarts. Sorry some of you guys are having trouble.

14. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
  15. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB

16. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    In no way is that true.

17. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    None of those things have ever happened to me and I only have the Home edition with no modifications other than the ones provided within the OS itself. Updates have never happened while I was doing something else. In fact, no updates have ever been applied without me requesting it. Downloaded sometimes but never applied while I was using the machines. I therefore have serious doubts it has been a problem for more than a very few, if any.

I also have not had any, even minor, issues introduced by an update. I repeat, in no way is Windows 7 superior to 10.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  18. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    "Telemetry is what is hated most in Windows 10"

The only difference between 7 and 10 as far as telemetry goes is that in 10, they tell you about it. It is present in Windows 7 too.

19. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The key word here is daily. there may well be a billion installations or close to it but not everyone uses their computer daily and a lot of people don't connect to the internet daily either. Even when using their computers.

20. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    Raaage.

And sure give me, i love cookies, especially with a nice glass of warm organic milk. mmmm