3-Pin Fans?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BeMyMonkey, May 31, 2005.

1. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    Hi everyone... got another question (should be very easy to answer though).

A few days ago I went out to buy fans for my PC that's due in October, since I'm living in Thailand right now, moving back to Germany in a few weeks. The fans here cost a LOT less...

The thing is, I went out and bought two 120mm fans and 3 92mm fans... And they all have 3-pin connectors... Last time I built a system, all the fans I used had 4-pin molex connectors...

Now my question is... where the hell do I hook up these fans? Power supply? Mainboard? I checked some German computer parts stores online, and they don't sell any fans with regular molex connectors at all... so i guess everyone must use these 3-pin things... Someone care to enlighten me?

And why 3 pins? +, - and ground? But why would a fan need a ground?

2. Todorov

Todorov Active Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT Extreme Edition PCIEx (N0-0C)
    yep almost everything is cheap here(especially software) except hardware

the fans you bought you have to plug them to the motherboard (or back of the front panel case if it is available) ,all the fans in my case are 3 pins too

btw where did you buy them?

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  3. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    Pantip plaza. You're the first person on these boards I've seen who's living in Thailand... are you Thai?

I'm half German, half Thai... heheh

On a different note... how's that on-board audio treating you? Is it true that it uses up no CPU time at all? Just like a PCI card?

-edit- just read the profile... guess you're not thai ;)... You still in high school? What school? I'm about to graduate from RIS Swiss Section... Just two more days of exams :D

4. OwenLotts

OwenLotts Guest

5. Todorov

Todorov Active Member

GPU:
    1) its not available in thailand

2) thats right.

Im Bulgarian-Thai , in university

Its fine, i used to disabled it once and put the PCI Soundblasterlive 5.1 instead and got 1-2 more fps increased in all games
    , yes its true no difference

good luck in exam

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  6. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    Awesome... I might be getting that thing after reading about all the stability problems with the board I was planning on buying originally (sig)...

7. Todorov

Todorov Active Member

GPU:
    its the best mobo i have ever had

dont buy any hardware parts here the cost is very expensive

6800nu here = 3 x 6600gt in the US

8. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    yeah i know. I'm buying everything in Germany... going there for university in October anyway, after a while in Austria...

9. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    The 2 pins are for the current for the fan to work and the third is for the RPM sensor's reading.
    Now some new P4 fans that come with a fourth cable, i believe that its for thermal control or something like that.

10. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    oooooh rpm sensor, huh? So I'll be able to see the fan RPMs in a program like Speedfan or motherboard monitor? Can I adjust them from in there? or have them automatically adjust according to temps? because that would rock! :D

11. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    To adjust the the speed, you would need a fan controlling device or for your mobo to support such a feature. For the temp control, again, your BIOS/mobo would need to support it.

12. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    Hmmm... Do most motherboards support this? Or is it more likely that not many do?

-edit- Hmm, just checked the speedfan website... seems only some do :(... Are those fan controllers any good? Really useful?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  13. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    The fan controllers... well since the fans are working at top speed when you directly connect them, those devices are only good i believe if you want to have control over the noise/performance. Put it to full blast when you are gaming or doing something that will make the PC heat up, and throttle it down when you are not doing intensive work.
    But the important thing with the fans is proper position in the case rather than having them full blast.

14. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    Are there any fan controllers that can be set up to change fan speeds according to motherboard temp monitors? Because that's really what I'm looking for - temperature-controlled fans, hehhe