3 monitor Nvidia Surround DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Eralma, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Eralma

Eralma Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 SLI
    Hello, didn't find a section to post this so sorry if it is not.

I´ve been having this error for a month now in every game I have tried, it only happens in surround mode (7680x1400), not in SLI or single card either.

My specs:
    CPU: Ryzen Threadripper 1900X (watercooled)
    MB: Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR4 3400
    GPU: 2x Asus Strix 1080Ti OC (watercooled)
    Monitor: 3x Asus Rog Swift PG278Q (7680x1440 @ 144 hz Res)
    PSU: EVGA Supernova 1300w G2

What I've tried:
    - Reinstalled several versions of Nvidia drivers with DDU: from 387.92 to 398.82 (I've hide the Windows nvidia updates with wushowhide).
    - Clean Boot testing
    - GPU downclock 110 Mhz
    - TdrDelay=10, then the error becomes: "Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware"
    - TdrLevel=0, computer crash
    - Reinstalled various versions of windows 10: 1607, 1709, 1803
    - Cleaned the pc with a dust blower
    - Reapplied thermal paste on both GPU's and CPU
    - GPU in different slots
    - GPUs has 2 Display Port connections and the monitors has only Display Port so I've tried different configurations of monitors: 2 monitors in GPU Master 1 in Slave, 2 in Slave 1 in Master.
    - SLI with 1 monitor works perfect (2560x1440 res)
    - Every GPU as single also works perfect, playing for hours with no errors with each one independently.
    - High Performance mode in windows power options
    - Power Management Mode in Nvidia Control Panel set to Maximum Performance
    - CPU and RAM stock clocks (for testing)
    - Tested with an old non HB SLI Bridge and same error occurs.

Nvidia Control Panel identifies PCI SLOT 1 as Slave and PCI SLOT 2 as Master but as I have read this is no big deal.

Setting the refresh rate at 60 hz in Nvidia Control Panel allows me to play in surround mode perfectly (7680x1440 res), but any other refresh rate (85, 100, 120 and 144) gives the same error.

At 144 hz in Surround mode the monitor plugged to the slave GPU starts to flicker so I have to set it at 120 hz or below

What really intrigues me is that out nowhere this error appeared and I've tried with older drivers that previously worked perfectly, maybe one of the GPU has some damage? although I've test each one separately with no issues...I don't know... I am starting to lose hope here and thinking of selling 2 monitors...

I don´t know what else to do and I am kind of desperate now, playing games in Surround Mode is simply not possible.

I didn't see any posts or sections on Nvidia Surround her but maybe there is someone her that could give me some help.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Tried this?

3. Eralma

Eralma Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 SLI
    Thanks for the response, yes I did try that and that causes a complete freeze an any game

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Try listing solutions you have already tried in OP, as it seems a widespread issue probably caused by our dearest SLI.

5. Eralma

Eralma Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 SLI
    Yes I did, is under "What I've tried:..."

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    this is an error caused by the game not having graceful recovery from TDR when one happens, and a known cause of TDR's is Surround gaming with a HB bridge and one of the monitors is on the second card.

you say it occurs with a non hb bridge, then it comes down to unstable vendor overclocked video cards.

7. Eralma

Eralma Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 SLI
    Thank you, I will then to try test much more with underclocks, I have tried with -110 hz and it the error still ocurrs but at later times, like 20 o 30 min of a gaming. This at least points me to the solution, thanks again.