3 defective ATI HD 5970

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by EvilClocker, Dec 20, 2009.

1. EvilClocker

EvilClocker Member

GPU:
    ATI 5970 (When it Works
    1. 5970 work for about 1week.. The 2nd DVI port Dead (the one closed to the MB) Swaped Cable nothing. Not even when u first boot up like going into Bios..

2. Received my Replacement .. It work for about 2 days.. Then. It would goto into windows if the drivers where loaded. so reformat Reload windows 7 64bit .. soon as I load the ATI 5970 Drivers (Tried them all) when you reboot Black Screen.. boot safe mode unistalled drivers.. reload drivers Same Result Black Screen.. so I RMA This Card

3. Card comes in today.. 2nd DVI doest work right off the bat.. But other then that Card works Perfectly. GUess RMA AGAIN

I currently have my ATI 4890 install and both dvi works fine!

Here are my System Specs

I run Eyefinity.. So this is a big Deal

Asus p6t6 Revo
    Core I920
    6gig Corsair Dominator
    Pc Power Cooling 1200 Watt
    (3) Dell U2410

There are some quailty Control ISsues.

2. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Quite possibly QC issues, short supply production being rushed for xmas with testing being done asap and sent to retail.

3. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Which brand did you buy? Because I don't think I'll be buying from them. I really hope you don't say sapphire.

4. EvilClocker

EvilClocker Member

GPU:
    ATI 5970 (When it Works
    Exactly what I am thinking.. Major QC Issues. and I found it strange no one else complaining.. but not everyone is doing Eyefinity.

I have read few people getting DOA Cards. and Cards Dying after a week

5. EvilClocker

EvilClocker Member

GPU:
    ATI 5970 (When it Works
    GhostXL.. you said it not me

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Very odd, Especially being Sapphire...

7. EvilClocker

EvilClocker Member

GPU:
    ATI 5970 (When it Works
    What make you think its odd ? I though is was my system.. But my GTX 295 and my 5870 and 4890 all work fine in my system

8. solidsteel144

solidsteel144 Active Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 5970
    I've seen so many people having problems with their 5970s. :(
    Including me.

9. EvilClocker

EvilClocker Member

GPU:
    ATI 5970 (When it Works
    Whats crazy its everything worked on the last card Except the 2nd DVI port. I cant figure out why 1 dvi port would work and the Displayport.. but the 2nd dvi port is DEAD..

I am on my 3rd card.. and soon to be forth

10. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Not really, Sapphire are suffering from serious quality control problems. If you read other forums you'll see a lot of cards being RMA'd and I won't be buying Sapphire either, had a 4870 crash on me because it kept reaching temperatures over 100C, with fan at 100%.

11. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Wow I have 2 sapphire cards,I guess I am just lucky or naive that I just do not see the problems with the cards.Hoping to op all the best if fourth one is needed.

12. EvilClocker

EvilClocker Member

GPU:
    ATI 5970 (When it Works
    Liranan What forum have you read about sapphire cards being RMA >

13. danagar

danagar New Member

GPU:
    XFX 5970 @ 825/1125
    The key concept to realize here is the "squeaky wheel gets the oil".

You will hear more about the problems than when there are no problems. Sapphire ships the most ATI board cards of all partners. Makes sense just by chance alone to see people with problems from those cards with such a small sample set of just a few cards out of thousands shipped by sapphire as has been talked about in this thread.

I've had many cases of driver not responding, grey screen crashes, hard lockups, and poor crossfire performance scaling with my XFX. Right now with the new 9.12 driver set, it seems to be humming along fine and I haven't had even a hiccup yet.

I hate that I have to flash the BIOS to get fan control with MSI, or edit the BIOS with ATI BIOS editor. I was using that Sapphire OC BIOS hotfixed to allow fan support but my system was waaayy more unstable with it. I flashed back to the stock XFX BIOS after about a day and I just deal with not being able to OC as much as I did with the shaky sapphire BIOS. It's not like this card doesn't demolish every game I throw at it anyway...

I'm not a huge, e-peen, "high numbars" kind of guy. I just like to run my games with all the stuff maxed and getting 60+ fps locked with Vsync on (when it works with ATI...). I play games with my computer, not chain run benchmarks :cool:

14. Chris Chiu

Chris Chiu Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5970
    Sadly, I just RMA my sapphire 5970 too. Serious halt while playing games.

15. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Well my Sapphire card doesn't work fully either, so somehow I'm not surprised... -.-

16. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    This is what i've been worried about.

Because of the issue that dropped ATI's yield rate to 40%, theres a good chance that substantially lower quality cores are making it to retail which means theres a high chance of DOA cards, or cards that die suddenly.

Just RMA guys, it sucks to have to get brand new stuff replaced so suddenly, but this is just part of being early adopters im afraid.

17. zshadow

zshadow Active Member

No problems with my 5970 and 9.12 drivers. I was getting loads of random lockups with the beta 5 drivers though... so my experience with the card has not been without hiccups to say the least.

18. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    My 5850 worked fine though this was before the shortages kicked in.

19. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I hope your not using the HDMI port for eyeinfinity...it's linked to one of the DVI ports so that would explain why its not working :s

Eyeinfinity you gotta use the Displayport

20. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    no problems with sapphire 5870 here either. I'll get a second sapphire for crossfire as the prices goes down.:3eyes: