3.8 Ati drivers, my view.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by thesicilian, Oct 23, 2003.

1. thesicilian

thesicilian New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600 Pro GV-R96P128D
    Hi guys,

Been playing around with ATI drivers after changing from nvidia. I've found the the latest 3.8 drivers COULD cause problems. After installing them my CPU temp went from 39deg to 49deg on idle for some unknown reason. Benchmarking tests with 3d mark 01 & 03 proved the 3.7's to work a little faster. Image quality was visualy slightly better on the 3.8's, but not enough to risk something being damaged by these dodgy drivers.

I would definatly reccomend the 3.7's be used untill the 3.8's are sorted.

Please post your findings & views.

2. SuperCaptainJ

SuperCaptainJ Member Guru

GPU:
    Fx 8600
    My findings-

9700 Pro was 5 C hotter when idle under the 3.8s, and my monitor mysteriously died yesterday.

The monitor thing could be completely unrelated, of course; but its still a coincidence worth mentioning......

3. rsheppick

rsheppick Guest

Im at 202x11 at 1.775 Vcore and im idle at 37.5C , with my koolance on the lowest setting, also cooling my 9800 pro. I dont really have any complaints about the drivers.

4. nofool

nofool Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 Superclocked
    The 3.8's were excellent, but...

...too many people have reported too many weird problems right after loading and using these drivers.

Apart from super clarity and the best bump mapping and shading I've seen yet, I did notice one thing that struck me as odd about the 3.8's. Something I'd never noticed in any Catalyst release before -- a slight but perceptible color-shift toward the red end of the spectrum. I thought nothing about it at the time, but it may be symptomatic of something related to whatever these overheating problems are.

I experienced no "failure", per se, with the drivers, of either my video card or monitor. I ran 3DMARK2003, with all settings on default, and had no problem (game 4, Mother Nature, never looked clearer and had much better framerates than with any other Cat. release).

Also, I cranked up my core to 371.5 MHz and my hammer-locked Infineon memory to 301 MHz and played a couple of games in UT03. Great images, somewhat better framerates, and no problems.

Then I started reading about all these horrific problems people are having after loading the 3.8's and I ditched them. ATI has since officially responded that nothing about the drivers has caused any problems with monitors (see http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12239 ), but they have not spoken directly and clearly about overheating problems with video cards. The longer they wait to say something, the more questions will arise. This ain't gonna "go away" by itself. Too many people have been affected, whether softmodded, or overclocked, or NOT....

5. mpm

mpm Guest

No problems whatsoever here... I don't overclock my card or anything either.

However, it seems ATI's explanation is more rational. They don't report any problems from their 100+ OEM's. This, to me, says that there is no concern with the 3.8's. If there were, the OEM's would be screaming the loudest (Dell would be out a lot of money if its customers' monitors started dying).

They did say that its possible to have a heat increase in the Mother Nature, but it was all within the specifications of the card. (meaning if you overclock, you may be SOL)

Otherwise, I'm happily using the 3.8's.

6. Dready

Dready Guest

i see no changes between them, no perfromance no better quality, nothing even the heat, i dont feal diffrence...

7. IronYuppie

IronYuppie Guest

They sure hoosafudged my rig. I got them out before any damage was done. Not only did my temps go up, but everything from games to sandra to open office became unstable. Freedom fighters would play for about 5 minutes then crash. I was scoring 18,000 aqua when it would run, which it only did the first time and then would just crash almost immediately. Now with the 3.7's back in I'm back up to 44,000.

8. nofool

nofool Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 Superclocked
    You're right, IronYup, there's definitely something up with the 3.8's. All the forums have many threads and dozens of postings. There are some who say that it's all crap, but has anyone ever seen this kind of reaction to a single driver release before? I can't make myself believe that this many people are delusional. Over at the Rage3D Forum there's almost 40 PAGES of posts in the thread that speaks to the monitor/videocard problems in connection with the 3.8's.

Supposedly, none of ATI's partners have indicated that there's any problems being reported by their customers. Uh, huh. Right. So all these people with expensive cards that are well within their warranties are just going to roll over and do nothing when their cards crap out for no logical reason?

ATI was quick enough to refute the claims about the 3.8's damaging monitors, but they haven't made any statements about Radeon video cards and the 3.8's... does anyone know why not? What are they waiting for? Or do they just think the whole thing is going to go away by itself? Doubtful -- from the numbers of posts all over the place, too many people have been impacted, by something....

9. David Deed

David Deed Don Alfa Terga Inconiti

GPU:
    Geforce 6600
    right now, im using the 3.8s

i have not experianced a tempreture increase
    my monitor hasn't blown out (yet)
    my color scale hasn't changed

10. IronYuppie

IronYuppie Guest

It seems to be affecting the 9800's more than the 9700 or other cards.

11. Beavis

Beavis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K620
    ATi's drivers have always sucked bad.

12. renegade150

renegade150 Guest

^ yeah its insulting.....but the truth hurts. maybe 3.9 will be better? :)

13. Monrad

Monrad Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro =)))
    My experience. I've installed Catalyst 3.7. When playing Battlefield everything was all right.
    Then I uninstalled 3.7 with control panel and Driver Cleaner and installed 3.8. I can play very well, but I noticed a problem with battlefield. When I press ESC while playing I go back to the main meny and some images are bad (it's like reading the sprite from a random memory address). Then I go back to the game pressing ESC again and I see lots of grey polygons going everywhere. They move very fast and everything seems to be centered in the screen... weird.

Just to see if this were temperature issues I played the game again without doing the ESC thing and everything was just fine... so, my conclusion is that's this CAT 3.8 has some bugs, but I don't know if they are overheating my card.

14. Green-Pilgrim

Green-Pilgrim Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTX 768
    new to ATI

Just had my 9800 pro for just under a week now,was a 5600 ultra user,now seen the ATI light!lol ,1st set of drivers ive used r the 3.8's, so i know no different,from previous ones.But the issues raised with them i.e my monitor is fine,everything is stable,all my games play fine.but i havent a temp.monitor so i dont know if things r hotter than they should be.With reguarding the monitor issue r there any common threads for a particular maker of monitor that is having the problems,mine is a 19'nec multisync e950,my desktop runs at 1280/960 at 85hz,like most of my games,I also use 'Refreshlock' to keep the refresh rate a 85hz,again no problems to report.

15. I'm using the 3.8's from the Hercules website and I have experienced no problems whatsoever.

16. gobd

gobd Guest

I've been using the 3.8s from ATI.com since the day they came out and have yet to experience a temperature increase or any other of the other problems that i've seen mentioned. I'm using a Sapphire 9800NP modded to a Pro.

17. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I've been reading far too many complaints about these drivers from articles all over the web. The so-called experts have pretty much proclaimed this to be mass hysteria. I feel that this is unacceptable. Some of the most loyal of ATI customers are also reporting technical difficulties with the Catalyst 3.8s so therefore, I personally wouldn't just think of this situation as a bandwagon type of ordeal.

On the lighter side of things ATI has kept its word on releasing updated drivers frequently as promised. I'm going to take heed to the warnings of fellow computer users and stick with the 3.7s until the release of the official 3.9s.

It is nice to hear that some of you are not having problems. This probably means that the errors/problems people are having can be eradicated with a simple fix.

18. IronYuppie

IronYuppie Guest

Testify! I get really pissed of when I see some idiot at a tech rag do tests on ONE card and proclaim it mass hysteria. I LIKE ati drivers in general, I LOVE my 9800, I will likely BUY ATI AGAIN. But, I can honestly say these drivers screwed my rig royally, and it has nothing to do with ati bias or mob mentality. I had those drivers out of my system before word started to spread. So those knuckleheads should know this has nothing, or very little to do with nvidia fanboys.

19. RaZoR_Blade

RaZoR_Blade Guest

i played max payne 2 for 9 hours non stop w/o single crash... but still 3.8 cats are the first ones that im using and my CPU temp is high .. 47C idle 50-51C LOAD

well i did OC my CPU 10.5x200 w/o messing with the voltages ..so all is at stock ..

its weird that ppl are saying Video drivers cause to CPU temps go high .. now thats insane ..

20. Monrad

Monrad Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro =)))
    UPDATE about my Cat3.8 installation.

I've been testing this drivers for a while and today I had my first bad experience running battlefield 1942.

I was playing and hit ALT+TAB to switch to windows... then I go back to the game and my screen went black, I pressed the ESC key and my computer hangs. When I reboot my windows XP told me that Radeon 9800 driver caused the inestability of my system... so... I'll try doing this with CAT 3.7, if I have no problems I know what to do. I don't like this... if this problems are REAL for everyone ATI should take care of that. About OEM customers... most advanced users don't buy DELL (or any other brand with Radeon inside) and I don't think most of DELL users will know how to change drivers correctly or will take care of changing video drivers... that's why I think ATI is not receiving complains about OEM customers.