1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2x16GB @3200 for Ryzen 2700x on Asus B450-I Gaming

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Tiptopperoo, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Tiptopperoo

Tiptopperoo New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1060
    Hi guys,

My first post here, and hoping for some assistance. I've done an extensive thread search, but can't seem to find any info based on recent BIOS updates and memory stability.

I'm looking to upgrade from my 2x8GB kit to 2x16GB kit on my Asus B450-I Gaming mobo. Only 2 slots available and I'm really getting bogged down when editing 4k video, hence the reason for upgrading.
    I've checked the QVL's across mobo and memory manufacturer sites and they have not been updated in 6-12mths. No 2x16GB 3200MHz kits are listed.

Has anyone got any recent experience with fairly standard 2x16GB kits (ideally 3200MHz) and how they run on the b450 boards with 2000 series chips? Will a basic Corsair Vengeance LPX C16 kit work or do I need to shell out for something premium?

Thanks in advance

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Chipset is of no importance here. Important is quality of traces between CPU socket and memory banks. And then BIOS ability to check and tune subtimings successfully. Finally ability of board to power given kit, but for 2 sticks, there should be no issue with that.

I think you are asking about CMK32GX4M2B3200C16. 3200MHz at 1.35V with given timing is not great. Especially since it is barely CL16 kit.
    Depending on your BIOS and time to work thing out with DRAM calculator for Ryzen, you may get to their proclaimed 16-18-18-36. But I would guess you may be able to get to 18-18-18-40(42) without issues at their 1.35V.

You can test worse timings on your regular workload where you are not running into memory amount limitation and see if it is any worse. For video editing, I think that timings are not as important.

3. Tiptopperoo

Tiptopperoo New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1060
    Thanks for that response Fox. Yes that's the Corsair kit I was looking at but based on most information I can find I wasn't holding out much hope that it would do the trick.
    I may have to bite the bullet and buy F4-3200C15D-32GTZ which seems to be on the verified Samsung B-Die list, and has better timings. The G.Skill QVL however, doesn't list a single AMD motherboard as being compatible...In fact there isn't a single 2x16GB 3200MHz kit listed as compatible on the G.Skill website.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    That is vastly better kit. Question is, if worse timings really negatively affect performance of your video editing work. You are processing large quantity of data, but it does not look like latency sensitive.
    That's why I advise you to take your current kit, prepare some sample workload and try different memory settings.

5. Tiptopperoo

Tiptopperoo New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1060
    My issue is more will any 32GB (2x16GB) kit actually run at 3200MHz. I'm looking to upgrade from 16GB to 32GB because scrubbing through 4k footage just chugs along as I'm maxxing out my 16GB of available memory. I agree that timings won't be an issue for encoding or probably even scrubbing, but I also don't want to take a big hit in gaming performance which slower timings definitely will do.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    If you are running GTX 1060, I do not think there will be any performance impact fro gaming even from lower clock on memory and CPU. Those things start to show usually as you get fps above 120.
    I tested my 2700X in games to see what kind of fps I'll get if I clock it bit down. Then bit more and ended with 2.2GHz. impact on something like 2080Ti would be considerable. But for low end GPUs for today's standard as you have (I am in same performance bracket with RX-580) is really nothing crazy.