2x 8800GTS SLI or 1 8800GTX

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by itzsaint, Nov 23, 2006.

1. itzsaint

itzsaint Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX570 SLI
    Topic says it all.

PS..... How is SLI with G80 Series...... STABLE?

2. theteamaqua

theteamaqua Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x 8800GTS SLI
    get 1 GTS and wait for price to drop, then get another GTS (1 GTS is enough to run games maxed out)

G80 sells weak, so im expecting some price cut soon like in 2 to 3 months maybe

oh yeah also the drivers r crappy now. even for a single G80 , imagine how well the G80 SLI perform on those drivers....

im expecting some decent driver in 1 month.. fix the frigging Splintercell 4 problem already...

here:
    http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/791/splintercell42006111818bq1.jpg

the black blob suppsoe to be Sam Fisher, and its a screenshot if i capture the video u will see that the mountain's texture is "flipping" and "jumping"

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  3. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Powercolor 6900XTX
    Well .. GTS overclocked to GTX clocks is nearly at same speed as GTX (except games in higher resolution and shader dependency, where is 0-20 percent fps difference), but surely if you use two GTS and overclock both of them, it will be faster then one OCed GTX.

4. Nishchal Sharma

Nishchal Sharma Master Guru

GPU:
    inno3d geforce (2X7800GT)
    Massive CPU bottleneck..never do a SLI for 8800GTX...Unless you have a powerhouse processors.....

5. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    Octagonal CPU's for SLi GTX :)

6. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Powercolor 6900XTX
    Nobody prove yet that SLI on X2 vs Conroe on higher resolutions, more then 1600x1200 is bottlenecked by CPU, though there is some difference at least in Oblivion when you run game with and without OCed Conroe, there was some 15-20percent mininal fps difference.

7. theteamaqua

theteamaqua Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x 8800GTS SLI
    i think over 1280x1024 4xAA 16xAS with supersampling everything maxed out, its all GPU... X2 = Conroe, but Conroe, X2 outperforms P4 and AMD 4000+ though even at those resolution

i think u should upgrade to an X2... conroe is not worth it if ualready have AMD platform

8. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    i woudl suggest 1x 8800gtx from my own experience of using sli (if you can get a better card ratehr get that one than 2 weaker ones)

9. Recrofne

Recrofne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    One GTX will be enough for anything for a long time. We need to give CPUs some time to catch up I think.

10. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    yep CPU's need to play catch now, as the G80 GPU is probably more powerful than any CPU we currently have access to lol.

You guys did know that U can run "C" programing code on the G80 using nvidia's "CUDA" programming tool did'nt you.

11. mojoRT

mojoRT Member

GPU:
    BFG 7900 GT OC
    1 GTX for now. Then wait awhile till you can afford a second one and get a faster CPU.

12. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    With your current setup being what it is, I'd say to wait at least until the ATI cards come out to see how they are and drop the price of the g80's.

If you feel compelled to buy immediately, I'd do like mentioned above and buy one GS/GTX now and one later.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  13. Frag-master

Frag-master Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
  14. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    ya maybe you should wait until the r600 comes if you can

15. mason666

mason666 Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 9800GTX 512MB
    Absolute ROFL :eek2:

16. USFORCES

USFORCES Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780 SLI @ 2560x1600
    I would get 0ne 8800GTX for now and later get another GTX for sli :)

Then waterCool that AMD FX60 and overclock it...

17. itzsaint

itzsaint Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX570 SLI
    Will the FX60 hold up to two 8800GTX's. Im almost 100% sure it wil be fine with two GTS in SLI. And I am "thinking".... more like hoping to grab one of the 6700qx in a few months.

ahh yes.... A 6700QX, 8800GTX in SLI and eVGA's 680i Mobo with two 150 Raptors and 2 74 raptors....... sexual!

18. RMD

RMD New Member

GPU:
    PNY/8800GTS/640
    Old Card for Physics. SLI 3x AMD?

I have the 8800GTS with the Socket 939 board and it runs like a dream. In every game I can max out the setting @1600x1200, with 8-16xAA. Amazing card, with no overclocking (Not necessary IMHO) I got 8137 in 3DMark06 Pro, when I maxed out the 3DMark06 Pro setting with AA @ 1600x1200 I got 4019, which is pretty good, I couldn't imagine running it maxed out like that on the 7800 GTX. Buy the time anything comes along to challenge this card, adding another will be cheaper. The 7800GTX was great but I wouldn't imagine trying to run 3DMark like that on the it. But I think it would be a very good physics card, but watch me get stiffed.

Thanks AMD for ****ing things up with that purchase, I purchased the AMD board and CPU based on the advantages of the Nvidia chipset, and I wanted to pair it with the Nvidia GPU. Other wise I would've stuck with Intel like I always had, now I think I'm going back.

For those interested, while digging through then nvidia's site, one of their presentation pdf's said that we can use cards from 7600 and up for physics. The picture showed a 7900GTX with a 7600GT, which is why I held on to my 7800GTX to go with my 8800GTS, so it won't do SLI (won't work, don't try) but it will use the second card for physics and/or dual/quad display.

Is it me or does it look like we're being forced over to Intel, I haven't seen anything yet about a three SLI slot board for AMD, and when they do they will more than likely forget about us people who got sucked into the Socket 939 boards, and put out a Socket F(ucked) only solution. If they did a 939 board I could use the older card (7800GTX) in the PCIe 8x slot, purchase another 8800GTS for SLI. Not be forced the change my motherboard and cpu for AM2 or greater, my DDR for DDR2 ram, I bought the processor when it was released, I'm still feeling it. Now it's worth spit, not even a year later.

:massacre:

Has anyone seen one yet? 3X SLI AMD?

19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    At least you got a year out of it. :p I only got 3-4 months out of my X2 before the price dropped in half. It performs fine for me, but I knew I probably should have waited for the Conroe... Oh well, there's always something better on the horizon.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  20. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    oh dear sir the nvidia 680a (the quadFX board for amd- two fx's for teh quadcore feeling) has 4 PCIE slots. two times x16 and two times x8. and the 680a is the only chipset/board that supports the quadfx platform. besides as it seems the quadcore intels are sucky because they fill up the fsb for comunication compared to the athlons/opterons which communicate through the ht in mutlisocket or directly through the crossbar in (for now) dualcores