2x 580's or 6990

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by General Stalin, Mar 9, 2011.

1. General Stalin

General Stalin Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD6990
    Hahaha don't worry I am building an entirely new PC from the ground up. The only things I plan to reuse are my hard drives and my DVD drive. I'm going with the SB 2600k unlocked, and I plan to OC the sh*t out of it. I pretty much have the system already parted out, just need to make a few final decisions. Video cards, and monitors. Also, I haven't been in the overclocking game in a while, is there any particular type of RAM that people are having a lot of luck with for stability? Is that still relevant nowadays?

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    You will find SB overclocking to be a cakewalk, I mean I know some people who where teribad at overclocking and PCs in general and all are above 4-4.5 GHz with stock cooler...

3. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Plenty of SB overclocking guides on the net. Its a bit different to regular clocking. Ram is really less important these days but get a decent 2x4gb kit of 1600 or 1866 ram and you'll be good to go. Only around 100-150 for that type of ddr3.

Motherboard should be the most important choice.

4. Jcazz

Jcazz Master Guru

GPU:
    Tri-fire 5870
    well but of course the 6990 is not faster clocks and the other likes. I am just saying thats basically on paper. and i think i ment 2 6990 to 4 5870. ehh oh well...sorry about that guys, i was thinking about something else at the time of writing this also... blah carry on!

5. Jcazz

Jcazz Master Guru

GPU:
    Tri-fire 5870
    oh btw....i would go for the 580GTX in sli. if i had the cash, next best? 6990.

6. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  7. RSharpe

RSharpe Active Member

GPU:
    2 Palit GTX 580 3GB, SLI
  8. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    1 gtx590 > 1 hd6690 :d

9. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    They'll probably turn up eventually. Isn't there also a Twin Frozr II edition of 6970 though?

10. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Why so in doubt of getting 6990 or 590gtx?
    First plan which psu u gonna use..
    Wait and see 590gtx price, performance.

11. General Stalin

GPU:
    HIS HD6990
    Well, I do plan to wait for the 590 and see how that pans out, but I certainly wouldn't buy a power supply before I knew what video cards I was going to buy and how much power I will need haha. The PSU will be one of the last things I buy.

12. Amorpheus

Amorpheus Member

GPU:
    6960@928/1450
    Considering that two GTX580's use a lot more power than a HD6990 I don't think nVidia has much of an advantage when it comes to dual GPU board. More of a handicap, really, unless they totally forgo any expectations of complying with PCIe specs. Certainly looking forward to its release, it's going to be interesting.

13. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    dude... amd already abandoned the idea of following pcie specs with their 6990. nvidia has no reason to comply either.

and in an official announcement from the pcie specifications board that has been floating around, theyre fine with it as these cards are classified as enthusiast cards. they say that the pcie specifications are meant for cards that are primarily used for mainstream consumer products.

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Wait and see what the 590 is like, its out in 9 days.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you are going to replace the opty 180 at stock right? I ran a 295 2 years ago with an opty 170 at 2.8 and was a TREMENDOUS BOTTLENECK

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    We dont know that yet...

17. Amorpheus

Amorpheus Member

GPU:
    6960@928/1450
    In the default setting the HD6990 complies just fine. And the GTX590 is too far along for nVidia to make any major adjustments, so the deciding factor will be what their decision regarding power consumption was when they laid the groundwork for the card's design.

18. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    Personally I would wait till the review of the 590, then wait like a month or so for the price to go DOWN.

never buy a gpu when it first comes out, cause within a week or so, price go DOWN!!!.

So I would wait, but thats just me.

19. General Stalin

GPU:
    HIS HD6990
    Yes, if you read my previous posts you will see this is a very old system (obviously) and I am building an entirely new PC from the ground up. The only parts I'm reusing are peripherals, HDD's, and the DVD drive.

The Opteron I have actually IS overclocked I just didn't put it in my hardware description. It have it at 2.8 Ghz. My new rig will be built off of a Sandybridge platform which I plan to OC the hell out of. Speaking of which, are the p67's back on the shelf yet? I'm looking to start buying the hardware pretty soon but I haven't checked if the recall has been rectified yet.

I also just bought my 3 monitors the other day:

[​IMG]

A big electronics outlet is going out of business around where I live and they currently are selling everything at 30% - 50% off. Got an amazing deal on these.

[​IMG]

24" x3.

Also, I'm not so sure what the PCIe compliance is, but doesn't the 6990 draw almost 400 watts on it's own at full load out of one PCIe slot? I don't see how the 590 can be THAT much worse.

20. wulaishiwo

wulaishiwo Banned

GPU:
    Memory size
    does "HD" means Hongkong Dollar? waht does "GT" mean then?