2K and Hangar 13 Mess up Mafia III release with dumb 30 FPS cap

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2016.

1. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    After playing this game for a few hours (before it gave me headache and I had to stop) the 30fps cap is the LEAST of its problems...

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that camera is anything but smooth when moved. Seriously to many consoles games being ported to pc with out care of how it works. this stuff should be taken care of before release and BEFORE it even goes out for reviews.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Last 3 cods have been pretty good performance and bugs-wise. Ghost was the worst one of the last 3, but, AW and BO3 have been pretty good. Bo3 has had excellent support throughout the past year as well. I have no problem pre-ordering a new cod game on the basis of past experience. Track record is very good.

4. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    3885€ Current account value
    1006€ Total cost with sales
    56 Steam level
    13,54€ Average price
    5,75€ Average price per hour
    339 Games owned
    10,183h Hours on record
    49.2h Average playtime
    132 Games not played
    39% Games not played

Yes, i even buy games and don't play them, like most of us. Hell, i even pre ordered Witcher 2 and 3 on GoG, because i wanted that CD Project receives all the money, so Valve doesn't leech even a cent.
    But overall i learned my lesson with borked pre orders, so i don't feel like used dirty slut, because of a lazy developer/publisher.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Any sort of cap on a PC release is retarded. I don't care if it breaks the game (which it never does, that was the weakest lie ever), if for some reason it can't handle unlimited frame rates and resolutions then the game shouldn't be release on PC to begin with. All the Japanese releases having resolution caps (and often frame caps even if it is sometimes 60) makes head explode just like these middle-finger frame rate caps do.

I wouldn't play a 30 fps or resolution locked game for free, let alone pay the $80-$105 (pre 13% tax) they're asking for this crappy port.

A game being released with any type of cap on PC shows the developers don't give the SLIGHTEST ****, and you shouldn't give them your money. This is beyond disconnected from the PC community, it's straight up not caring the slightest bit. They're not sorry for what they did, they're sorry they're getting poor reviews, and backlash in general.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  6. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Was I right? Are we talking another Arkham Knight?

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yet people like you and myself often get told we're just haters and entitled.

"You should love every game. The devs are jesus reincarnate and youve no right to be demanding your monies worth round these parts. Besides, they'll get it right next time".

Yeah, just like all that DLC horah was over nothing, content is never cut. How is Deus EX MD going anyway, is the rest of the game available for purchase yet?

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's especially bad with the Japanese developers. The games they release are often targeted at niche demographics so they're just thirsty for anything they can get and throw their money at the devs.

Pick any of them and it's a crapfest. The One Piece releases were frame locked 50 fps (wtf?) and 1080p and had the assets of the PS3 version of the game instead of PS4 meaning everything looked like it was out of 2006 at absolute best... and with many other PS3 settings locked on the PC version such a draw distance so close that everything popped in. Yet they made a killing with droves of mindless mouth-breathing idiots throwing their money at the devs of that game and religiously defending that crapshow of a release.

And guess what? Since they made money releasing intentionally crippled products they continue to do so. That's what people don't understand, if you continue giving them your money they're going to continue ****ting in your face.

With releases such as Mafia at least it's not a niche enough demographic that the Harambe-IQ fanbase defend it to the death... at least I don't think they do.

9. Mostafa Hijazi

Mostafa Hijazi Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    Yup. Already did.

10. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Well ... the patch is out (1.2 GB). Mafia III now supports 30,60 and unlimited FPS :)

Edit

The game runs between 60 - 110 FPS with GFE optimal settings in 1440p.
    It usually runs around 70-75 FPS, going as high as 120 inside and as low as 60 when being in a car chase with the police. This is using an Acer XB270HU G-Sync monitor.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Have you seen what they have done with Dead or Alive 5 on Steam.... if you want every part of the game it is over one thousand dollars... *__*

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    And the day Goro was announced as preorder DLC in the latest MK....

13. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Ummm if you can't see past 30fps I suggest that your brain has an issue processing information. This is a complete myth debunked over and over and over and over again for years

I can see the difference between 20 and 30, 30 and 40 and 40-60 and I can even tell the difference between 60 and 120fps, 120 and 200fps
    There is no limit to how many frames the human eye/brain can detect.

Over 120 though, the differences are harder to detect and I'd say you'd never need a game to run faster than that

But if you can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 you seriously have issues.

When I play a game at 30, then switch to 60 the difference is night and day. 30 feels very stuttery whereas 60 feels very smooth.

Next time, do some research before posting such ill-informed, completely wrong statements.

14. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Wrong. There's no limit. Our eyes don't have a framerate. It's well beyond 60 however, as I said before. My own personal experience is enough to prove that to myself. I don't care what some article says, because it's flat out wrong. Just read it and yup, completely and utter bs in that article. The eye doesn't work in FPS, nor does the brain. Find an article with a bit more scientific substance.

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34

I stopped reading right here... if you're gonna say stuff, at least try to make it sound even the least bit factual.

PC is a dominating platform for gaming

Also, what do you call spending thousands of dollars on gaming systems and spending millions upon millions on Steam if not "Willing to spend as much as console players".. PC gamers spend craptons of money..

Call a thing a thing. Its easier to develop and maximize profits / shorten development times, and release broken games up front after generating the most hype for a game via social media and marketing, and then fixing it (sometimes half assed) later after the hype has died down, knowing that people will just move on to the next thing.

The industry has gotten addicted to this way of operating like a junkie on meth.

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    If people can still believe what some article tells them over and above what their own sight and experience tells them, then these are people who cannot be reasoned with sadly.

I think most people who play on PC can tell a very obvious difference between 30, 60, 100, 120+... it becomes less obvious the higher you go sure, but to flat out proclaim that the human eye can't tell the difference or that the difference is negligible is truly laughable.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    It's cheaper for them to avoid PC optimization (or make it inefficient on purpose) searching to be "fair" with console gamers and maximize the sells in that market where they have a better profit margin per game copy.

Game dev/pub pushed these methods to absurd limits in QB and Mafia III ports: a GTX 1080 with "the right settings" is needed to play them at 1080/60. :bang:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/474960/discussions/0/350542683206323664/#c350543319568303454

They are playing with fire...

18. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Oh I totally get that.. the problem with this for this particular game however is that 1) The game is equally poor performing and looking on console.. dipping to less than 20fps in some cases, for how this game looks? No chance.
    and 2) The game market is changed.. this isn't 3-4 years ago where console made the lion's share of money. To remain competitive, if you release a multiplat, it better friggin work on every platform, otherwise you're leaving a ton of revenue on the table from disgruntled PC gamers, and there are lots of us out there today, way more than in years past, and growing.

In any event, I get that with this game its a new engine made from scratch, so realistically they should have given themselves WAY more time to hammer this game out, but didn't. Its a failure on part of their product manager, QA manager, producers and publisher.

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    That's why i said they are playing with fire, at some point in the next future they could start to loose potential sells on PC because of these **** ports decisions and don't get them on consoles either.

There are hundred REAL exclusive games on PC, the PC gamers can start to buy more games not f***ed on purpose.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  20. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Oh, don't be silly. Generaly people are very dumb and even with bad experience, they often go and preorder the next crap just based on CGI trailer. That is the reason these crappy ports exist and get through the QA. The developer just makes something and then the PR department sells it, it's also why the biggest part of the game budget goes to the marketing.