2K and Hangar 13 Mess up Mafia III release with dumb 30 FPS cap

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2016.

1. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    Anyone thinking that you'll actually be able to play this at constant 60fps once frame rate is unlocked, - based on my experience with it - you'll be in for a surprise :(

2. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Saw this on my FB feed - thought, "That's a title!" - but deserved title - a 30 cap is never acceptable on the PC - I was going to order the game, but I'm holding off until its confirmed as fixed.

Now to see if the game can actually manage 60 FPS....

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Hmm. 30FPS seems to really be slowly becoming the new normal.

Forza H3...

Won't be supporting this.

4. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Well 'retarded cap' was best words describe this "phenomenon"...
    Bad you changed it :)

5. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    That's the kind of stuff I *want* to hear from a tech site :flip2:

6. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Even once they remove the cap people are going to be disappointed. Look at how high the GPU usage is at 30fps. It's also almost like it's using an internal resolution and upscaling, as even at 1440p it looks blurry to me.

7. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Wow what a mess this game is ,it looks horrendous being a console port but with the cap even with g-sync its 100x worse wont be playing until its fixed :( .

8. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    That's what I think as well. They just put 30fps there, since it's doable with mainstream cards and once you can push 60 fps, most people woun't reach it.

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I called this a fail like almost 2 years ago (or whenever that first gameplay-ish video came out). As I'm a HUGE Mafia 1 + 2 fan, this saddens me greatly, but then again the team/teams that made those games have absolutely nothing to do with who's behind Mafia 3...

10. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    This is pathetic for someone like 2K to release some garbage like this. I won't blame Hangar 13 for this even though they developed this. They are a new upcoming company and most probably had a lot of pressure from 2K just to launch the game broken as is. I had this game on pre order and got a refund for the game. This is ludicrous what these big game publishers think of us as gamers. Well I don't know about other people, but I vote with my wallet and this time around my wallet won!!!

11. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Now expect controls to be hardly playable with 60 fps or unlimited. Especially with low sens.

And they wanted me to pay robbing 2000 ***8381; for that. No, thanks.

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    A lot of people misunderstand an unlocked renderer, to an engine. A game made from zero for 30fps has different internal timings than a game made for an unlocked framerate. And I don't mean games like Need for Speed Rivals who where locking the framerate to the general engine update.

What I mean is that when you are the guy who's doing the asset streaming portion of the engine, for example, and you are given a 30fps target, it means that you have a budget of 33ms to do your stuff. The audio guy the same, the physics guy the same etc etc. With a 60fps target, these numbers drop in half. So all of these subsystems (and not only the graphics one) need to work with a 16.6ms budget. If just one of them is hardcoded for the 33ms update, it's going to be a tough ride.

When they say that the renderer will be unlocked to 60fps, don't expect it to run well, unless they have tweaked the other parts of the engine also. It's usually the asset streaming that's the culprit for problems, because both consoles have much faster CPU memory access than PCs (with the Xbox using the eDRAM), and that might cause further issues.

Depending on how they have implemented all this, it might take from a simple unlock (unlikely, to be honest), to a few months of work, for unlocked framerates to work properly.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  13. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Zo waar dit, **** mafia 3, ik heb lekker shadow warrior 2 ge-pre-ordered op steam :)

14. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    I dunno, if it's a steady 30 fps stream it's alright with the right DSR factor, maybe.The fact that H can see the judder in character movement though is totally unacceptable.Was actually looking to buy this as I missed the last one but I'll wait.

15. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800
    For everything that is worth something, "SOLID 30 FPS" the only thing solid is the proof that preordering from big companies is only hurting pc players. Why we keep stabing ourselves is beyond me. Im slapping my hand to stay away from doing stupid things, saved myself from the division, sadly i fell this year for No man sky.
    Small titles that try something to improve or be different is where the money should go, i paid a small amount for sui generis/exanima and feel great about it.
    Pro evolution soccer for example is still doing a cheap port for pc from old gen versions, it should sell 0 copies to anyone with a decent gpu.
    Where are the demos of yesterday!?

16. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    With a 1% average GPU usage spiking to a massive 6% I don't expect them having any trouble hitting (1)60 FPS. Especially when CPU usage is also very low, as shown in the video. But apart from that I like the game so far. No major issues except the low res textures etc. I haven't disabled blurring yet, so I have no idea how that affects the game. But so far it's worth the 35.49$ I paid for it.

17. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Mind you guys that my video is not showing GPU usage but rather PCIe Bus usage. I was playing the game moment ago and a GTX 980 is at ~80% utilization with the 30 FPS cap.

18. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Wow........

Hopefully they get off of their arses and do something quick...like they say they are doing. So sad.

19. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    i loved mafia 1 and 2 and this was the game i most wanted in 2016 so i pre ordered the deluxe edition from amazon then i read about this 30 fps disaster and was gobsmacked 30fps is unbearable on a pc so i called amazon and got a refund , even if they make it 60 fps it could be full of errors just have to wait and see what happens if it ends up totally fixed then i buy it again , but how did this get past quality control its like a butcher selling rotten meat its not allowed i think the corruption has creeped in bigtime this year and this is why we get stuff like this its about how much money sony and microsoft make if the pc version was far better

20. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Yep as I said GPU usage is high for me, so there's no way I'll get 60fps when they patch it. I wouldn't call it a good looking game, so I'm not sure why it's hitting the GPU so hard at 30fps.

Shoddy port aside I'm really enjoying the game. In an age that is very PC (not computers lol) it's a very brave subject to have racism in the game.