2GB Video Ram Worth it in SLI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Midi, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Jarrstin

Jarrstin Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 4870 CF
    I wouldn't bother with that 1GB version. The 256bit memory interface is holding it back too much, and is not worth the extra money.

2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Its a a waste that they put theses extra memory on theses mid-low end cards my god put it on the highest top dogs where they need them the most not on the low cards. Put the extra memory on the top dogs where you can get most out of the card when its needed.

3. abtomat74

abtomat74 Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Then you have absolutely nothing to worry about whether my post was correct or not. But I would really have liked to know if it did in fact limit your overall system ram had you been using 32bit. Oh well...

4. Midi

Midi Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX260 896MB X 2 SLI
    Yes it did, when i running Vista 32-bit w 4gb ram, Windows was only showing about 2.5gb total, so i went to 64-bit because Ultimate came w both versions, however a lot of software wont work w it, including 3DMark, Nero, etc, so I am using it strictly for gaming.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    No it's not. In Oblivion, even at 800x600 with a few mods I was hitting over 700mb of frame buffer at times. Not a problem. The thing is, the gameplay never slowed down because of this on my x1900xtx.

6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    no its the same guy who coded the crysis benchmark thingy. Look up his forums. 650mb of frame buffer at only 1280X1024. Let see, heres the link:

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=11614

read where it says break down of video card memory, @ the 768 and above, it explains it there.

7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Speaking about this topic, does anyone knows if sli is under sfr mode,(split frame rendering) adds up texture memory? Like half the top gets 768 and the bottom gets 768? I know if its set to afr mode(alternate frame rendering) doesnt add up frame buffer cause each frame is rendered by one card at a time.

8. abtomat74

abtomat74 Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    SLI and Crossfire will always be only the sum of a single card. Two 512's = 512, two 1024's = 1024 etc. etc. Maybe in the future they will combine?

9. abtomat74

abtomat74 Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    SLI and Crossfire will always be only the sum of a single card. Two 512's = 512, two 1024's = 1024 etc. etc. Maybe in the future they will combine with newer technology?

10. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    After reading this thread I noticed that some people still get mixed up with what SLi actually does.

1. SLi theorectically doubles GPU power (obviously), so It would be fair to say that having 8800GTX SLi gives you 256 shader processors (In a 2x128sp configuration). However it would not be as quick as a single card with the same specifications ie 575mhz core but with 256sp.

2. SLi does not double memory bandwidth the bandwidth is still 384bit to either GPU. The only way to double a GTX's memory bandwidth would be to use 64bit memory chips or use 24 32bit chips.

3. SLi does not double memory amount. Having 2 8800GTX's in SLi will not give you 1536mb of available graphics memory. The way SLi is done requires the memorys of each GPU to contain the exact same data. Whether you use AFR or SFR is regardless.

My I ask what resolution you plan to be playing at? Im gaming at 1680x1050 and have a GPU which is inferior to yours but don't have any real trouble with any games including crysis (although in crysis I cannot playing with AA). Unless your gaimg over 1920x1200 then I can't see any point in a second card fullstop.

If anything I've just said is wrong, let me know.

11. harvik780

harvik780 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 8800GTS 640M SLI,2x8600GT,8800GT
    In SLI two cards render a frame simultaneously.When all the processing is finished the final uncompressed Frame from one card is transferred to the other primary card which mixes up the two different parts of the frame created on both cards to create the final image.Obviously the uncompressed incomplete frame is only a few MB is size depending upon the resolution so it does not eat up bandwidth.
    Its actually the transfer of data from memory to GPU for processing which takes up bandwidth.So since both cards have same amount of data in them in SLI the memory remains the same but bandwidth doubles up as neither of the cards processes the whole data.So theoretically the bandwidth should double up.
    If both cards were to process the whole data then there wouldn't be any performance gain.
    What's officially told by nvidia is what the truth is.They do not lie on facts.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008