29X.XX Battlefield 3 Micro stuttering on GTX 580

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Shinz, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Shinz

Shinz Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 580 Direct CU II
    Hey everyone,

I have recently noticed this constant micro stuttering where the mouse movements feel jerky in Battlefield 3 (Render.PerfOverlayVisible 1) :

[​IMG]

For some reason this only happens with the drivers from the 29X.XX branch, no problems with the 285.XX.
    GPU usage was at 99% on both drivers.

Anyone else getting the same problem?

2. jvmagni

jvmagni Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    Gonna check when I get home...

3. dimanish

dimanish Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G
    Yep. The same on my Gigabyte SOC 580. Reproduced only on 29X.XX branch. On 285.62 all ok.

4. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Try disabling bfs framelimiter if you have it enabled its ****.

5. Shinz

Shinz Guest

GPU:
    Never used any frame limiter.

6. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    whats your frames to render ahead in driver and ingame?

GstRenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 2

Try both at 1 or 2,

I have 2 for both and i dont feel any lag or have noticeable stutter.

7. Shinz

Shinz Guest

GPU:
    Screenshots were taken with RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 0. The setting in the driver is at 0 too. Tried 2 and 3 no difference. With RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1 the spikes on the graph dont go below the CPU (yellow) graph.
    Are you also getting the same green spikes on your graph?

8. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    Idk i never opened that monitoring graph..

But it felt smoother if i used GstRenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 2 then at default -1 or 1

9. Dranzerk

Dranzerk Active Member

Never had the problem in SLI.

10. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    No probs here :)

11. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    are u using ie9 for battle log open u task manager and see how much ram its using had stutterer before found it was that using way to much ram quick close and open fixed it for quite a few rounds but allays seems to come back

12. Shinz

Shinz Guest

GPU:
    How could that even be related? The problem occurs only if I'm using a 29X.XX driver. Besides I'm using Firefox.

13. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I dont know if it will help the graph but the smoothest experience i ever had in BF3 is

Force ingame & driver to render ahead 0
    Force ingame triplebuffering 0

Force triplebuffering ON with D3Doverider
    Force framelimiter ON (59fps) either ingame or software of your choice (AB,DXtory etc etc)

No Vsync.

Makes the game very smooth.
    Im now with ATI, but i had a 580 3GB before and used same setting to good effect.

14. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    have u looked to see how much mem is been used by firefox when battle log is open and see i was haveing stutering now and then and found it to be ie9 and allso google as well so just wonderin if it could be u browers

15. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX570 @ 880MHz
    I seem to have the same problem, my graph with 296.10 also looks like the one you have on the right. 60fps vsync, but the green spikes are all over the place and I noticed some odd stutter once in a while.

No frame limiter either. Tried with D3DOverrider with forced triple buffer and both triple buffering and vsync disabled ingame, no change. Only way to get teh graph to change was by setting the ingame render ahead limit to 1, then the green spikes only went upward instead of both up and down - which is still not desirable, because there are still tons of frames (the green upwards spikes) that take too long to render on the GPU.

I tried setting the driver-based frame limiter to 58fps, this ended up with a similar graph, just that the amplitudes of the green graph were lower on both ends.

Very odd indeed. I don't really like using older drivers, since I will run into problems with other games, but there seems to be little choice right now.

16. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce GTX 680 2Gb
    same problem here. although im far to inexpirienced in this than you guys so i havnt done any of that.. but got the same problem :s in Bf3 and rage.. tried in NFS: shift 2 but ran smoothly.. any solution to this ?

i think i also tried the 285 driver with same issue.. but everythingg started to happen upon driver update.. although i only update my driver directly from nvidia overlapping my old one.(i know there are alot of mixed opinions about that)

17. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce GTX 680 2Gb
    how do you get those 285 drivers ? on the nvidia site they are listed as betas ? is that the correct ones ?

18. Shinz

Shinz Guest

GPU:
    yep, those are the ones I'm currently using. Tell us if it fixes the problem for you too.

19. [Arnold]

[Arnold] Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 2 GB
    Believe it or not, I just registered just to let you know I found the solution to this problem that was nagging me for weeks now. For me a simple console command fixed it. Set

WorldRender.dxdeferredcspathenable 0

in your console (or user.cfg) and you are good to go, even with the newest GeForce 296.10 drivers! Though I can't tell you what's wrong with this setting and I never would have guessed it, finally I found the solution on a swedish forum, ran the Google translator and here we are. Hope it helps.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  20. Shinz

Shinz Guest

GPU:
    Wow thanks a lot man, I haven't had the time to test this on the latest drivers yet but will report back when I do.
    I haven't been able to completely understand the purpose of this command (though I'm getting a 2-7fps increase), so if anyone with better knowledge can enlighten us that would be cool! :)