295 buzz kill

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by abscode, Feb 24, 2009.

1. abscode

abscode Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Waiting for me when I got home was a new GTX295. I could hardly wait to installer her and play some games I've been postponing until I'd bothered updating some hardware for a better playing experience. But my excitement was cut short when I opened the box and noticed this...

http://www.absolutecode.com/Fun/bfgBentPcb.jpg

How goes that even make it out of QC?

2. Quixz

Quixz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 2070 SUPER
    Thats sucks man. but does it work.. got a feeling you might have some trouble sending it back if it works just fine.

3. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Aye, bent PCB's, bummer.

It should still work fine, but i'd probably send it back myself.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    man that sucks pcb cracked too?
    just for that i'd play with it for a few weeks try to blow it up then send it back.

5. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Screw that, I'd send it back. You paid good money for that card, it shouldn't have any sort of defect regardless of whether it works or not.

6. CCchips

CCchips Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 2048Mb
    Holy crap, most manufacturing errors can't even be seen - they're encased in the plastic chassis. But you got the motherload of screw-ups (e.g. QC?... What QC...).

RMA it before they think you damaged it over time and use and the seller tries to renege on their legal obligations under the warranty.

7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    QC im pretty sure means quailty control. I agree w/ every one else, send that bad boy back asap. If I were you I would just ask and see if they would provide fast shipping for your inconvenience.

8. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Yea I would send that right back, screw even testing it out.
    BFG will make it right, every thing I ever had go wrong they fixed, most times they even coverd shipping both ways.

9. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Definitely send that back whether it works for now or not. That looks nasty. You'd likely never be able to re-sell it that way either if you ever wanted to get rid of it.

10. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    somebody was smoking crack that day...

11. abscode

abscode Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Yea, there is no way I'm even going to power it up; seems to be just asking for trouble. I had an RMA from BFG less than 10 minutes after opening it. I can't fault them on their support, and as long as they continue to replace products without drama and keep their support US based, I'll keep including them in my purchasing decisions. Still... shouldn't have happened. <sigh>

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  12. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    BFG has been my fave since my 1st nviadia card which was a 8800gt and the stock fan craped out and they sent the replacement 1st then I sent my other one back unfortunately the replacement was damaged in a train wreck but they paid for the shipping of both damaged cards so they are still in my good graces.sorry if I'm confusing any one I'm a bit drunk off of baltika

13. baby_UTE

baby_UTE Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800GT SLI
    just looking at that make me feel sick and i will never ever buy BFG ever

14. piotrek

piotrek Banned

GPU:
    GTX295
    wow man, i feel you :(:(:( hope you get your new one as quick as possible

however i think that shows what bfg gives about quality :/

15. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    My first nvidia card of significance, was a bfg 6800gt. i put it in 1 pc, i later bought a bfg 6800 ultra i put in another pc i have. Both are still functioning to this day..granted i don't use them as much as my current system, but i have had no problems with either. My most recent purchase like 3 weeks ago is a bfg oc gtx 260, no probs so far. My previous card was an evga 8800gtx which died on me 3 weeks ago after 4 years of solid gaming...I don't think any 1 brand is better then another, its pretty much luck of the draw on whether you get a defective 1 or not ... human error just shows up from time to time with anything manufactured. All the cards I've ever had from 5 series nvidias all the way to 200 series i only had 1 card die and that was an evga 8800gtx which was an rma replacement card of 1 with a faulty bios.......so long as these manufacturers stand behind their products with replacement programs who cares what brand it is.

16. BigAlBeast25

BigAlBeast25 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970 SLI OC
    was the box not even damaged??

17. Crisis66

Crisis66 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970
    So you're going to base the quality of the company off one unfortunate card?

Every card I've owned has been a BFG (8800GT, 8800GTX, GTX 260, GTX 285). I've never had a problem with one of them, save for the 8800GTX dying due to me overusing it. BFG along with EVGA and XFX are top of the line companies. Basing their quality off one faulty card is just absurd.

18. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
    It does seem like there's more quality problems accuring recently with BFG.

19. abscode

abscode Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    The shipping box was not significantly damaged; normal soft edges from stacking, but nothing indicating a fall. The card's box did present some crushed corners, but those boxes aren't much thinner than construction paper. The card's inner cardboard carrier showed no signs of compromise, however. The packing by newegg seemed adequate; the card's box was still centered by the packing peanuts.

I'm not going to discount BFG because of one card, especially after having one flawlessly running BFG in at least one of my machines for the past 7 years or so. Maybe that's what disappoints me the most: I know they are better than this -- particularly something so obvious.

I have some clients wanting me to take on some new projects anyway; I guess a little gaming delay will free up some code-time. :nerd: