290X Owners overclocking and sex act club

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by cowie, Nov 8, 2013.

1. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    What is the RadeonPro situation?
    Besides some power play issues I like the 290xxx and I am a tough customer.
    Been on cf for the last two weeks when I would have not made it passed a few hours a couple of years ago
    Am I messing around with my titan right now?...well yeah but that don't make me a bad guy.

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    RadeonPros on hold, as hes gone to work for the Raptr Team, probably won't ever see the light of day now tbh, unless he gets it into Raptr.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    About your clock issue, try this

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

Run it and let it uninstall everything, reboot and make a fresh install.. Btw first remove and rest any auto OC in MSI AB. And dont use that auto OC msi gaming tool, that screams conflicts :D

By reboot it will install generic driver 800x600 reso, now install the latest catalyst.

One m8 had full 3d clock bug with Sapphire Trix 290x, and when he made this fresh install it started idling properly and it stayed in low 300/150 while browsing.
    But he had to re-enable manual temp monitoring & OC in Catalyst MI. Apparently this was bugged before.. Now that cleaner cleaned it and it started fresh

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    ^^Be warned. That tool can uninstall way more stuff than just your display driver. I had to reinstall my soundcard driver because it removed that too (the actual SBZ driver, completelly gone).

I noticed that sometimes when updating driver or AB card would not clock down. I had to enable CCC overdrive (set AB clocks to default) and apply stock clocks. Then deactivate CCC overdrive and start using AB normally.

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    g/l with the dcII 780 Anarion I like mine even thou it does not clock that well

soooooo who is going to help me get started with bitcoin or whatever with my cards?
    I am a noob at that sorta thing

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Thanks. It looks like this does OC nicely, Elpida VRAM is the negative part but it overclocked better than what I expected.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Bitcoin is dead, you would need a special BC mining card now otherwise its to difficult for normal gpus..

There are few alternatives that can be exchanged for Bitcons, idk for example 10 litecoins = 1 bitcoin.

1. create a wallet
    https://coinbase.com/

2. download miner
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1334.0

and mining pools
    https://mining.bitcoin.cz/

2.1 use your wallet address in this mining GUI so it adds funds on it later

that's about it

you can use extra sites to get free bitcoins, usually only micro bitcoins
    http://www.bitcoinget.com/

8. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I finally got my MSI R9 290X a few weeks back now. Just been too busy to really get to play with it yet aside from initial benchmarks and testing.

On the whole I really like it, but at the end of the day its Twin Frozr cooler is not good enough.

For the average games, especially with VSync enabled, it runs cool enough at up to 79c and not too loud - though should be quieter really here.

This is fairly typical of your average games temps etc:
    SplinterCell Blacklist (no Vsync, about 68fps) = 82c @ 61% fan
    SplinterCell Blacklist (Vsync, about 60fps) = 79c @ 59% fan

...Now I am running this card in an Antec P182 case (ignore the air in at the back - I run positive pressure) with fan slots maxed out using a set of Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000 (golf ball dimple style) fans which provide nice airflow even though I have limited them to about 1,100rpm. On top of that I replaced my optical slots with an extra Noctua 120mm fan @ 1,200rpm:

Running folding@home on both CPU and GPU resulted in 87c @ 79% fan
    - too near the limit considering a pretty chilly room.

Running Star Citizen's Hangar Module (Business Hangar with Legionnaire and Freelancer ships in, known to be hard on GFx cards. Unoptimised high poly models etc) @ 1920x1080 gave me (Very High : 36fps and High : 54fps) = 94c @ 100% fan

Not so good :(

Since then, while wondering on solutions, I came up with the idea of installing some suitably cut pieces of high density foam to re-route some inefficiently wasted airflow to hot components. This has helped to a moderate degree and now consider my case to have very good airflow for the number of fans etc

As a result (in a now warmer room with window wide open - 16c outside, maybe 21c inside. Inlet fan airflow reads 25c but could be contaminated with warm case air):

folding@home = 84.5c with 64% fan

Star Citizen:
    High GFx setting 1920x1080 = 39 - 65fps. 90c with 100% fan
    Very High setting 1920x1080 = 28 - 45fps. 91c with 100% fan

Better, but still not good enough.

It is a nice cooler and MSI have gone to great lengths to fit the cooling fins around components to increase surface area, but perhaps they should have not bothered trying to make such a neat compact 2 slot cooler on this one...

Am in half a mind to sell it and buy another with better cooling.

That aside (kinda a re-post of mine from the original card review thread here), I think I am going to have a go at overclocking this card tonight and see what it can do.
    - if it turns out to be a great overclocking example then I might keep it and buy it a new cooler, else for sale and replacement it is!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    wait 100% fan you sure? thats what temps i get on ref cards on auto

10. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Yup, that is correct.

Fan is set to auto, and every time in Star Citizen the temps and fans speeds creep up to sit at those listed temps and fan speeds.

All my card's settings are default + show up as expected in MSI AB.

As mentioned in other games the temps and fan speeds are within expected ranges for this card.

In an older game like Skyrim (even visually modded up) the temps are even cooler and nice low fan speeds once VSync is enabled:

Skyrim (visual mods, no Vsync, 80 - 120fps) = 79c @ 59% fan
    Skyrim (visual mods, Vsync, 60fps) = 63c @ 37% fan.

edit: added:

A number of review sites mentioned that the MSI R9 290X Gaming's Twin Frozr is perhaps a little below spec and make more noise than they liked for the cooling performance, I have read.

A little extra noise I was ok with, but did not expect it to be incapable of cooling the card for upcoming games sufficiently even in moderately cool temps.
    - Summer is coming and it is only getting hotter from here. Only had a few mildly warm days so far - hottest day so far is about 16c

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Star Citizen is probably the most demanding game out there (because they haven't optimised the hangar module at all). My MSI 290 did hit 80-85c when overclocked to 1,1GHz and 1430MHz vram (max rpm was ~2300). It wasn't quiet at that point. The difference is massive when compared to my current card. I haven't managed to break 69c (Valley) yet and that's with 20% GPU overclock and 10% memory overclock. Max fan speed has been ~1750 RPM. My case fans are running roughly at 700 rpm, they'll start running faster once GPU hits 70c and that has not yet happened.

290's are really hot cards, especially when overclocked. It's quite possible that normal dual slot cooler just isn't enough for those cards. This ASUS GTX 780 is the first card that I could actually use without capping the framerate or v-sync (I'll always do that though, I can't stand tearing and the quieter the better).

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    TJ thanks for the info bro it really will help when I get started
    All my 780's run much more "normal" temp wise but that game must be like the new furmark or something...

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I only get the full 3D core clock bug with the 14.1s, so guessing a driver issue, as no probs at all with the 13.12s :)

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Anyone else tried selling 290's? Seems to be incredibly hard... No buyers for some reason (unless you give it "almost" free - compared to original price at least).

15. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ditto.

All three of the 14.xs have the bug for me.

If i fart around with OD, i can get it to unstick, but thats just annoying to do everytime i need to reboot.

Basically, when you boot, the card automatically goes into 3d mode. Its designed that way.

As soon as the drivers get initialized by the OS, they are supposed to drop to idle until acceleration is needed by something.

Basically they are not dropping to idle as they are supped to.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Be even harder now that Nvidias wonder drivers are out, AMDs getting smashed! :eek:

17. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    was that sarcasm?

several sites have said they are just decent not great, except for starswarm which isnt even a game yet.

No one wants to touch a used 290 due to miners tooling on them, so as long as new stock keeps up, they wont sell.

18. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Selling of the last of my 780Ti cards today,I hope this new wonder driver gets the Nvidia fan buying the cards quick.
    Have not be using the 780Ti cards much.
    I am keeping R9 290 Crossfire ,for me they run great and for me 3D gaming is better on the AMD cards.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I wouldn't either, 24/7 full load, no thanks :D

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It does work, really well in games that are CPU limited. Anandtech made some benchmarks at really high resolution (I wonder why... obviously it's GPU bound). ESO is much, much faster with this new driver. It actually works properly and boosts performance (my Mantle experience hasn't been too great).

I did say that it was not a mining card. Heck, it's quite decent card in every way. Good VRAM and no coil whine issues. There are lots of card in stock though and prices are quite low. It looks like I need to drop the price more... Grr...