285.62 driver causing driver reset timeout BSOD

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Romo, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Romo

Romo Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX780 DCU II OC
    I think I´ll just drop back to old drivers... I have no problems with them and BF3 runs like hell at ultra settings ;)

2. maroder

maroder Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Lightning
    It's a driver issue and has nothing to do with faulty hardware.

I just did a complete reinstall of my system, because I was having blackscreen-issues while browsing since upgrading to the 280 drivers. Thought I messed things up with one of the driver updates.

I can confirm, that even a clean reinstall of the system doesn't help. Still having (rare) random blackscreens while browsing in Firefox (hardware acceleration enabled) for about 3 seconds, then returning back to the desktop.

Directly from NVIDIA driver description:

New in Version 285.62
    • This is the recommended driver for Battlefield 3. It contains several performance and compatibility enhancements for the final release of the game. Check here to see if your PC is ready for Battlefield 3.
    • This is also the recommended and enhanced driver for Batman: Arkham City and RAGE.
    • Contains a fix for the driver timeouts reported with the R285 beta drivers.

Seemes they didn't quite fix it yet... :nerd:

BTW anyone know how the 275 drivers perform in comparison to the 285?

3. Romo

Romo Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX780 DCU II OC
    I reinstalled my win7 once because of this problem and nothing changed :)
    I´m fine with older drivers but I´m just little annoyed by the fact that I spent a large sum
    of cash for a product who´s company makes this kind of small dumb mistakes (bad WHQL driver ?!? WTF).
    They´re supposed to be professionals, you know what I mean ? :)

Great ! Now I get "Installer failed" message when tryng to install any driver version :(

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. Razunter

Razunter Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Getting a lot of BSODs with this driver X(

5. Romo

Romo Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX780 DCU II OC
    you too ? :(

in windows or during boot ?

6. gokumhz

gokumhz Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte geforce 460 1gb
    I actually had my first driver stopped responding error I've ever had with these drivers, believe it or not, never had one before. I was watching a youtube video last night and suddenly screen went black, then came back into desktop with a driver stopped responding error.

Also, I have rage, and these newest drivers made the game look washed out, almost over exposed kind of look, was especially noticeable in dead city.

I've always done custom install and clean install checked off whenever I load new drivers. So I went back to the beta drivers which I had no problems with, so far so good and rage looks much better again. Since I went back to an older driver I uninstalled the drivers and ran driver sweeper before installing this time around.

Just figured I'd add my experience if it helps anyone.

7. Romo

Romo Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX780 DCU II OC
    thanks.
    I just tried again with 285.xx drivers after format and win7 reinstall.
    no luck, BSODs again :(

8. MisterPete

MisterPete New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 570 2560MB (x2 SLI)
    Just joined after finding this thread and wanted to add that I encountered the same BSOD with 285.62
    ---
    Intel Core i7-2600K
    EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 HD 2560MB (x2 but hadn't enabled SLI yet after the driver update. These have more mem than reference 570s)
    ---
    I actually played BF3 for about 5 hours without any problem. The next day I tried to show a friend what heavily modded oblivion looks like in stereo 3d and got a BSOD after maybe 15 minutes. After restarting we were able to play for maybe another hour or two before hitting a BSOD again.

Later enabled SLI and tried 3dmark a couple of times and it worked the first time (higher score than before in fact) but froze the second time (no BSOD though). Same overclock as before seems less stable.

I have both 570s overclocked to 780mhz which had been very stable before.

On evga forums maniacvvv pointed out:
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1287284&mpage=2

I'm going to try following his advice and see if I can eliminate the BSOD issue.

9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    @MisterPete
    That might not be too far from the truth.

I also experienced driver resets every time I use OC settings that were stable in previous drivers, but whenever I'm back to factory clocks (doesn't matter if it's Nvidia's default or factory OC'd) it's stable all day long; no more driver resets.

10. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    i see nvidia play with regural cards only

11. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
  12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    So do you think its threaded opt. fault for their BSOD?

Its been enabled since 275.xx for all games and thread started didnt have any problems with 275 or 280.xx:nerd:

13. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    If that is the case, then I'd get BSODs even at stock clocks, in which I didn't and still don't.
    To be honest, I've never had any BSOD but driver resets.
    This is on a clean install, not by updating an older driver installation.

In any case, for my MSI TFII 560 Ti, the higher the OC the faster is the interval between driver resets (which also resets the clocks to BIOS defaults).
    I've tried upping the voltage to 1050mV still no dice; any slight OC from BIOS default clocks would eventually cause a driver reset.
    I planned to try higher voltages but for now I just can't be bothered to do it.
    Too busy IRL; weekend's over. =b

[edit]
    Seems that this card's GPU is brickwalled at 950MHz.
    Been folding with that clock for half an hour or so with no driver resets (yet), along with playing a video on DXVA.
    Anything over 950MHz (like 960MHz), -pft-, driver reset.
    Didn't happen with previous drivers, though; dunno.
    Maybe someone else with the same GPU could test it out?

...yes, I retract my statement about not having any time; I'm just that curious. =b
    [/edit]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  14. nojas

nojas Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 - MSI TF3
    I am getting TDR errors (4101) since beta 285.27 and WHQL 285.62

Event ID: 4101
    Level: Warning
    Keywords: Classic
    Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered

This is on 2 different GTX 460s on Win 7 x64, core i5

Only happens at desktop / in Firefox 7

15. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I've been getting timeout error, black screen, blue screen errors, driver stopped responding and a memory execution error all with the 285 drivers...

I had to go back to 275.50 to get rid of those problems.

16. max_rnd

max_rnd New Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX580 3gb
    Hi guys!
    I just registered to write this. I bought Palit GTX580 3gb yesterday especially for BF3 and got BSOD on latest drivers(285.62) while booting. I managed to play BF3 with that drivers only before first reboot. The words "pissed off" is a nicest description for my mood. And today i flashed my card with that bios http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=454 (thx TheHunter) and the miracle happens! BSODs are completely gone. I hope this will help someone.

sorry for bad english :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  17. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    hm idk that sounds kinda risky, palit gpu with gainward bios? anyway great that it somehow fixed your problem :nerd:

18. max_rnd

max_rnd New Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX580 3gb
    I took my chances :) Anyway there is always a hope to reflash bricked card with native bios.

19. nojas

nojas Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 - MSI TF3
  20. max_rnd

max_rnd New Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX580 3gb