280x artifacts

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Heix, Jan 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Heix

Heix New Member

GPU:
    MSI 280x 3GB
    Hello!
    Some weeks ago I started getting visual artifacts when gaming and occasionally on desktop. In games it is fixed when I change a graphics setting or alt tab (if full screen).

I'll show some examples. Here is one in browser (had to use a camera since it wasn't caught on print screen)
    [​IMG]

on desktop, same area
    [​IMG]

and a few from a game (screenshots)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Temps seem to be okay, around 70°C max when gaming. I have tried different drivers (most recent catalyst beta, currently latest crimson) but it happens with both.
    Any thoughts on this? Is the GPU dying? Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to try the card in another PC or another card in mine right now.

2. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Ok try drivers pre crimson ones and see if the issue persists. A possibility is that your clock on the video memory is a bit high, or that your gpu needs some more voltage to achieve the clocks that it used to on lower voltage.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You tried bumping the voltage little bit? If not you can try downclocking the core by 25-50mhz and see if problem persists.

4. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Looks like your VRAM is causing errors. Does it only happen in the Witcher 3 or does it also happen in other games?

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Vram mostly results in black screen when pushed to far of fried. My bet is on the core clock artifacting due not enough voltage or unstable/high overclock.

6. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    To my knowledge, if the artifacts seem to have a certain pattern, then it's very likely that those artifacts are caused by the VRAM. Look at his artifacts, there seems to be a pattern in it.

Failing VRAM doesn't have to result in a black screen. You can also get virtical lines like this:

[​IMG]

Artifacts caused by the core will look random. They don't have any pattern. (small) colored dots will/can appear at random places on the screen for example.

I'm by no means an expert, but that's what i've read on the internet about artifacts (i know, the internet isn't always right). Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong about this ;)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    It may be, im not expert myself. For instance when i push my core too far i end up with white dots, sometimes blocks but always white, thats why i cant reach 1200mhz.
    For memory i always end up in black screen if unstable.

It probably varies from clock to clock and card to card. Strange indeed.

I guess we'll find out more when op returns and tell us more.

8. Heix

Heix New Member

GPU:
    MSI 280x 3GB
    Thanks for the ideas!
    I will see how it behaves with catalyst 15.11.1 and slightly increased core voltage.

9. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    I have had failing vram before....it will show up 24/7 in vertical lines across the screen but i also had the same type of in game stuff like in your screenshot as well.....i could fix it by changing drivers (for a while). your card could get worse like my last one did and need to be rma'd.....probably not a bad idea to check for different bios that maybe has higher voltage and might fix it

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    That makes sense. There is couple of (i think Toxic and some others) with a bios 1.6v on Vram instead of 1.5v.

Its worth a try.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016

11. lexer98

lexer98 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
  12. Bards n Lard

Bards n Lard Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 280x
    I have had those squares in the first pic before.

But it only happened in Firefox, never in a game. It got fixed by its own, I'm guessing new drivers or new FF releases.

If you have your browser open while gaming, it might be that.

13. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    I have experienced IDENTICAL behavior, though it was a fair while ago when I still had hardware acceleration enabled in firefox/flash. I think I may have even posted a screen shot just like yours at the time.
    For me, this was not vram or hardware related - it was purely a firefox/hardware acceleration issue that sometimes even lingered to the desktop. YMMV.

I am not inclined to believe that the geralt scene is related at this time. Hope you get this all sorted.

14. Heix

Heix New Member

GPU:
    MSI 280x 3GB
    Posting a small status update. It still happens but fortunately quite rarely.
    I uploaded a couple of videos of HotS and W3

HotS always gets fixed if I change some setting. I have a browser open most of the time so it could be related because the GPU seems fine otherwise.

15. GeRmAnOs

GeRmAnOs Active Member

GPU:
    StriX Vega64
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016

16. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Got the exact same issue, downclocking doesn't work, i even lowered it by -500mhz.