275 + 8800gt can phyx?

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by xodius80, Oct 18, 2009.

1. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    hi, i have an asus p5b deluxe mobo, i just sticked in a 275 i wonder if i can put the 8800gt without problems i could try but my set up is so sweet rite now i dont want to touch it without getting some proper feedback. my mobo has 2 pice 1st 16x 2nd 4x not sli tho...would that hinder my perf for the 275??

2. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    ^^Agree

3. georaldc

georaldc Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    I also wanted to know about this. My mobo has an extra 4x slot (supposedly for xfire) and I was also wondering if that would hinder the performance of a physx card or what.

I still have my old 8800gts card here, but its had a couple of problems like artifacts, lines on screen and weird characters here and there showing up on POST (I'm guessing faulty or overheated ram). Think it can still use its stream processors for physx lol?

4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    underclock it, you may not even need to as x4 slot will reduce the load slightly on it anyway. Id defo give it a whirl, it will improve the speed of games if your maxing out that 275 due to 1920x1080 or above res with lots of AA in physix games. Worth trying anyway :)

5. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    k thanks guys

6. georaldc

georaldc Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    Just tried it earlier and my PC freezes once I get to my windows login screen (well, not exactly freeze but the PC goes in super slow motion. Takes like 5secs before it registers any keyboard presses or mouse movement). Oh well, guess that means its dead lol.

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    no, your mixing up problems, that problem has nothing to do with the GPU

When crappy vista opens the desktop it runs like junk for a minute or 2

You need to isolate gfx card issues with other issues( maybe the keyboard or USB port is fecked? ), try different USB ports for the mouse & keyboard, try a PS/2 keyboard if you can. There are options in the bios for legacy keyboard support etc that may be affecting it.

8. georaldc

georaldc Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    Well, I sorta got it working afterwards. When I removed the 8800 and restarted my pc, I noticed my drivers got mixed up in rivatuner (185 and 191). So I uninstalled the drivers, ran driver cleaner, put in both cards again and reinstalled 191.00. Windows started up fine and everything seemed to be working, but when I ran batman AA, it would blue screen every single time when my 8800 was being used for physics. So I downclocked it a bit and batman didn't blue screen anymore. Other physx demos seemed to run fine too. I'm not sure if downclocking it was the fix though since restarting my pc returned the clock settings to default but batman still continued to work fine.

Anyway, don't know if it was worth it. Batman did run much better, no more stuttering compared to using only my 275, but the framerates were still pretty much the same (min went up quite a bit, but my avg framerate only went up a little). Also, when trying stuff like fluidmark, I got a lower score (only by a little though, got around 5000+ points using 1680x1050 w/ 4xAA) when using the 8800 as opposed to using the 275 on its own. Think it might be because of the pcie being only 4x?