2700X Not getting the expected FPS

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Nizzer1982, Jan 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Nizzer1982

Nizzer1982 Guest

GPU:
    Bit confused with the performance i'm getting with my 2700x, I have it paired with a GTX 1080. I'm running Far cry new dawn currently at 2560x1080 and am only getting between 50-60 frames on pretty much everything at low. Textures are set to Ultra and I do have TAA switched on, but I would of expected it to be able to keep up with my monitors refresh which is 100hz at these settings. I have heard that Ryzen is particularly sensitive to ram speeds so purposely splashed out on a 3200 mHz 16 gig dual pairing aswell. I am at a bit of a loss at this point really of what to try next, I certainly feel like I should be getting better performance than I am currently...

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Seems to be exactly where it should be, turn your other graphics settings up, any benches made have been without AA and the range is 70 min to 90 average.

3. assasinARG

assasinARG Guest

GPU:
    R9390x
    The game is very single threaded, the performance is ok, for that cpu.

4. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    50-60 fps is too low IMO. I have a PC that's not that different, 8700k+1070ti. You're not even at 1080p, you're at a higher rez. Even if we say the 2700x is 30-50 fps behind the 8700K, at Low you'd still have to score above 60 fps. You should monitor the clocks on the CPU and GPU and utilization. Just get MSI AB from here and keep the OSD active so you can see how games impact your PC.
    You should still drop to lower fps in specific areas, no longer having the game installed, but I do remember some pretty badly optimized zones. I think the Ultra textures were a problem too, but I'm no longer sure, it's been a few good months.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no it isn't.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Your mistake is not realising 21:9 aspect ratio has more draw calls in comparison to 16:9

7. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    It's a 2700x, not some FX8300. It can handle past 60 fps. There are other tests on the web as well with the CPU. 50 fps is way too low for his system and Low settings.

Nizzer1982 likes this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you keep referring to 16:9 benchmarks.......

turn the graphics back up, if the fps doesn't change you're cpu or IF bottlenecked.

9. Nizzer1982

Nizzer1982 Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for all the responses, the advice and suggestions are appreciated. In regards to the aspect ratio, I have already ran it on 16:9 1080p with black bars on my widescreen. The fps results are virtually the same as 21:9 which makes me even more suspicious, it's the same with textures on low as well. I am certainly going to download MSI AB next because i'm guessing that will show any potential spikes or anomalies. I know a couple of people think the results aren't that far away from where they should be, but I've just got the nagging feeling that something isn't quite right here. I have experienced similar problems with The Division 2 and Battlefield 5 also. I do regret not going for a locked Intel now because I never had any issues previously with my 4790 before it eventually died.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    toyo likes this.
  10. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Really no need to regret anything, the 2700x is a great CPU. Intel has its own issues, and I'm saying this as a 8700K owner, a CPU which I quite like. If you've went for a 8700 you'd now face a choice if you want to patch Plundervolt and apply the new CA microcode (and lose performance) - or stay unpatched, for example.
    Just start digging into what exactly is going on and learning about the Ryzen platform, and you'll eventually find what's the issue.
    Personally, I usually just backup the OS partition and install fresh+BIOS defaults to see if things change, it's typically faster than days of troubleshooting. But you're not there yet. Monitoring the PC during gaming should come with some insights about what's going on, what sort of GPU utilization you're getting etc.

Nizzer1982 likes this.

11. Nizzer1982

Nizzer1982 Guest

GPU:
    Just as a final closure point to this thread... I finally got some time last night to go into my motherboard bios and check a couple of things out. I discovered that although I had the 3200 mHz speed DDR4 in my system, I had left the ram running at the default 2100 mHz. (Rookie error i know!) I changed the speed up to 3200 in the bios and loaded up Far Cry ND again. The difference was night and day, after chugging in the high fifties previously, my frame rate was fluctuating between 85 and 100 at the same settings and felt buttery smooth. No micro stutter or frame drops as I was experiencing previously. Just goes to show how critical having the fastest memory, set up correctly is when you have an AMD processor. I am so relieved after months of uncertainty to be able to enjoy my system again! :) Thanks for the guidance and advice to stick with it I got on here once more.

Evildead666 likes this.
  12. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Yes, 8 cores / 16 threads + 2133mhz RAM = BOTTLENECK city. Everything was waiting for the RAM + Infinity Fabric.
    Glad you got that fixed.
    There shouldn't be too much difference between the intel locked chips and the Ryzen chips, other than price.
    The K-series intel chips do gain a little in single-threaded speed, but at the cost of heat, required expensive CPU cooler, and silicon lottery biased overclocking.
    Enjoy your system.

Nizzer1982 likes this.