27" TO 32" Monitor advice.

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by DryIce, Jan 13, 2021.

1. DryIce

DryIce Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070OC
    Ok guys, i am currently running a Ryzen 3600 @4.3ghz and a Evga 1070 graphics card. My current monitor is Samsung C27H58 1080p 27" 75hz Curved And i am very happy with it.

I was considering upgrading to a 32" but understand this is a very bad idea at 1080p?. i was looking at the Samsung T55 32" As i think its pretty much the same as what i have but bigger.

My other option was maybe the Gigabyte G32QC and break into the 4K realm, ive heard mixed reviews but price seems good. Never used a VA panel though.

Not sure if my card will handle 4k and at what Hz?

What would any of you boffins recommend?

2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    1080p is borderline acceptable on 27" already, to a point where many will tell you don't do it. Definitely do NOT do it on a 32" monitor. 1440p minimum at that point, ideally 4k.

Also, I would personally stay away from VA, many will agree with me and many won't. Do some research into IPS and VA panels.

If you're on a 1070, 1080p is the highest I would go. I bought my brother a 24" 1080p monitor last year because he has a 1070 and I felt like 1080p will get a lot more juice out of that GPU. I could've gone 27" but 24" looks much sharper so that's what he got.

3. DryIce

DryIce Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070OC
    Yeah I figured that would be the case. I don't mind the 1080p. At 27". Got used to.it.

I will be in the future updating the card. Not with these pathetic prices though.

4. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super

5. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Go for only 1440p for 27" and above.

Your GPU is not idea for 4K and 4K is not a good resolution for Windows 10 due to Windows 10 upscale will make Windows classic apps blur. Using 4K without upscale, you see nothing as everything will be very tiny.

6. DryIce

DryIce Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070OC
    Mmm probably best to stay where I am then.

7. machete

machete Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080/G12
    go for the super ultrawide! 49"

8. DryIce

DryIce Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070OC
    Haha that might be a bit big lol

9. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    I

At 1080p,dont go over 25 inch. Its the absolute max for 1080p having proper quality.

Also dont forget,32 inch is Massive,you will be sitting right infront of it. Bigger is not always better { Pixel issues and eye strain ) . I think you will regret the choise going to 32inch.

For 1080p i seriously suggest to try and stay between 25 - 27 inch ( 27 inch is alrdy too big for 1080 )

Spend your money on a proper 25 inch model instead of around the same price you would be willing to spend on a 32inch model. You will probably have better quality overall aswell for your resolution.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  10. Raserian

Raserian Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7750
    I have to suggest here that right proportion of resolution to screen size is also a subjective thing, I have bought 27" 1440P monitor as upgrade from 24" 1920x1200 and I must say, 24" on either 1200p or 1080p is better than 1440p on 27" - for me the text on it is too small. I have set in on default 100% scale but all the documents and websites I have on 150-200% zoom. I have no problems with my eyesight. It does not impact video viewing and games. As it was mentioned bigger screen or a resolution is not always better. I would avoid using 32" on a desk, it's too big to view from close proximity.

11. jarablue

jarablue Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 960m 2GB
    I have the LG 32GK650F-B and also the LG 27GL850-B monitors side by side. One is 27inch IPS and the other is a 32inch VA panel.

The simple truth is both look totally fine and play games totally fine. No matter what the specs, someone will say it looks like crap and another person will say it's awesome. Just get something that makes you happy.

I could rec both of these monitors but I am sure someone will say they look like ass. So just get something that you can afford and is not total junk.

Have a good day buddy and good luck.

12. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I had a 27" 1080p VA panel from 2012 - 2014.
    • The detail wasn't as sharp as a 1440 obviously, but I was able to run it with less powerful video card hardware, which was nice at that time. I was on a GTX 770.
    • I like the VA panel just fine, but felt like I was missing out seeing people praise the newer IPS panels at the time.
    I bought a 27" 1440p IPS panel that I used from 2014 - 2018
    • I got a GTX 970 around that time and it ran it pretty well, so the uptick in resolution wasn't a problem.
    • While the colors were brighter and had more "pop", the black levels were destroyed by IPS glow.
    • I was playing Dark Souls 2 at the time and I had a horrible time trying to finish the crypts area because I couldn't see in the dark. It was very disappointing.
      • Note: I usually play games in a dark room.
    I bumped up to a 32" 1440p VA in early 2018
    • Still at QHD, but moved up to a 2070 S as soon as they came out - it still runs games at QHD and 60fps just fine. I will hold out for a 4000 series card if I can.
    • I don't have amazing vision, so the 92ppi is plenty detailed enough for me. It's a little sharper than a 27" 1080p panel.
    • While VA and IPS both have their strengths and weaknesses, I prefer VA for my use case of playing games in a dark room.
    • My screen is not curved, has no frame sync, and no high refresh. While all of those would be nice, I don't feel these are worth swapping monitors to get at this time.

For now, I'm happy with my 32" monitor. I have a PC and PS5 hooked up to it and I play at a sit-to-stand desk with headphones on. From here, I think my next logical upgrade is an OLED screen, given how important black levels are for me. The infinite contrast of an OLED is the one thing I've seen that made me feel the urge. Unfortunately, 42" is about the max I would want sitting on a desk, and the smallest OLED at this time is the 49" LG sets that recently came out. I think LG did announce a 32" OLED monitor recently, but I couldn't find a price or release date, so it's probably a ways off still. I think a 42", 4k, curved OLED with G-Sync would probably be the optimal screen for me. So until then, my 32" monitor is just fine.

13. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Hey awesome, i was also looking at the G32QC, i'd love to hear if you bought it.

It has a great review on RTINGS.