266.58 WHQL Out

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by burebista, Jan 18, 2011.

?

Better or worst than previous sets?

1. Better

64.4%
  2. Worst

19.2%
  3. Same

16.3%
  1. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    i just tried prerendered frames at 0 with cod bo. played a few rounds of nuketown so there was plenty goin on and it was fine but im on win7 x64 not xp sorry

2. triskele10

triskele10 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX660TI PE
    Those 266.xx drivers cut my fps in half with Race On and some very bad stuttering so I'm back to 260.99 again.

3. Daaknite

Daaknite Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 2gb
    GPU usage on 2 460's in sli in BFBC2 hovers between 87 and 97%, still every few minutes they both dip to the 30's with an associated drop in framerate which lasts for a few seconds then goes back to normal.

In all fairness, this happened on the 265.90 quadro as well.

Any known workarounds for this?

4. Pepa1

Pepa1 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    FallOut New Vegas worse with these drivers for me, flashing textures :bang:
    With 266.35 no problem - just back.....

5. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 FE
    Try to enable HPET in BIOS depending on your system 32-bit or 64-bit

6. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Thanks, i can confirm that under 7 theres no problem with it.
    Oh well i guess its a problem related to xp then, anyway im reverting to 265.90q as they where better under xp.
    Or 266.35.

7. Gripen90

Gripen90 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    A case af severely allergic to ignorance ?

Anyone can insert a virus in an exe file if wanted. He probably DL them from a site other than Nvidia's homepage.

8. S3rgin

S3rgin Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX2080Ti FE
    Just voted! :nerd:

I can say that this set performs better than 265.90 which was a great set anyway.

What I like about this set is that my minimum FPS improvement. I used to get a few stuttering here and there and now they are gone.

I am playing BFBC2, DIRT2, LP2 and Mafia 2.

What I don't get is why nVIDIA decided to remove the scaling option from the drivers. :question:

9. Sabbath

Sabbath Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    guys is this any good for 9800GT? Yes it's a nice driver.

10. Dr.Chocolate

Dr.Chocolate Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6gb ASUS
    Some monitors are like 59,7 or something, so it does not matter if it shows 59, its still is the same thing. I have the same thing for ages.

11. xinhang

xinhang Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX480 SSC
    Out of curiosity, if a TV is 60hz, will anyone notice a difference when FPS is above 60fps? Technically 60hz = 60 refreshes per second which translate into 60fps.

12. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    normaly yes..u will have have screen tearing when u have more then 60 frames..but it can, it doiesnt have to..

i on the other hand use an prof. CRT flat Monitor with 100hz..so i dont have screen tearing..

gretez Btea

13. spine

spine Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp CE + EK WB
    They're certainly the most hassle free.

Also, if you wait between WHQLs you'll actually notice the ~7% or whatever performance gains. Whereas if you play with the latest betas you'll just be fighting with problems all day and not notice the improvements as they're so gradual.

But as I said, it's great there are people out there like yourself fighting to make nvidia's drivers better. I genuinely mean that.

14. peshkohacka

peshkohacka Member Guru

GPU:
    ***8962;
    I don't know if anyone else notices this problem, but for me sometimes i got flickering textures on "Heavy Metal". Even sometimes there are invisible rocks.

15. sudanmalkovich

sudanmalkovich Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 SLI 840/1680/4000

My GPU usage on 2 480's in sli in Dead Space hovers around 30%, but since frame rates are always at 60fps(vsync), doesn't matter to me whether it's 30% or say.. 5%. :)
    Well, if it could use some more GPU power I could easily use more AA like 32x (currently I'm on 8x), but oh well I dunno.

Anyway, these are more stable than 266.44, no crash whatsoever so far. So, I voted for 'Better' for that.
    Performs no better though. (NFS:HP & Dead space)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

16. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    Ah, I don't know why I missed this discussion before. I was not able to do HDMI connector on my GTX 295 to a LCD TV and make it work so I'd given up for a long time and been using a little DVI to HDMI adaptor that's 1.5 inches long. Yesterday I tried using just HDMI cable from GTX 295 to my Samsung 40" LED TV and it works. I've got the PSize of the TV set to Screen Fit and I've got NVidia setting set to do 1920 x 1080 with 60 Hz and I told it not to do the audio. The person who had an issue with it.....try using HDMI 2 on the TV rather than using HDMI 1. One Samsung TV I had in the past said right in the manual not to connect PC's to HDMI 1 and it didn't work there even with the little DVI to HDMI adaptor but the PS3 unit did.

Then, the topic of Black Ops.....it's been my favorite game since it came out and it's always run good on my system. I've been trying to help others make it run good in the Steam Forums. I made a thread about optimizations for the game here:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1617650

I'm really not sure you're seeking a solution for your game performance in the right direction by looking into GPU usage. I'm not sure what mine is. I'm on Win 7 64-bit by the way and my specs are on the left here. Early on with the game I found out that if I maxed out AA and Anistropic the game ran a whole lot better than if I didn't use any, which is not typical of my favorite shooter games from the past. A few people have suggested that this is cuz it seems to take some load off the CPU in the game. Seems like it to me.

A lot of people who are having issues with Black Ops is because of sound-hitching or the sound occlusion, which has to do with how the sound is coming through walls. Try these things:
    1) In game menu increase AA and Anistropic and turn shadows off.
    2) In game menu set to Quiet and Headphones.
    3) Check your config_mp.cfg, find the setting "seta snd_khz" and see what the value is, leave value there, go into Windows sound devices and make sure your PC's default device matches this. Change to match the KHz value (with 16 bit probably). If this does not help you might try setting the KHz value to be 44 in both places. Or 40. Depends on your machine. Make same change in single player config file too.
    4) In the game's config files set these values:
    seta sm_enable "0" - this value disables shadows, boosts performance
    seta r_blur_allowed "0" - this value disables visual blurring effect, boosts performance
    seta r_motionblur_enable "0" - this value disables visual blurring effect, boosts performance
    Set snd_losOcclusion to "0" - this value changes how sound is heard differently through walls
    snd_enableEq to "0" - this value is related to sound equalization

My system saw quite a large improvement for Black Ops boosting my CPU overclock from 3.75 GHz to 4.22 GHz but the game was running good at 3.75 too. I'm on drivers 266.58 now but Black Ops has run good for me on *all* of the NVidia drivers I've tried. I hope some of this helps.

17. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    I'm very leary of software in general when it is beta but in the case of NVidia drivers it's not the same situation. If you learn what is involved in that WHQL process you'll see that the WHQL designation doesn't really mean very much. I've tried lots of NVidia beta drivers for a real long time and there was only one set that I had ever found an issue with. Somebody else mentioned that the worst well-known NVidia driver problem of all time was with one that was WHQL. When a new WHQL driver comes out you might be thinking "I can trust this driver more because Microsoft really tested it out well" but when I see the new WHQL driver out I'm thinking "this one may not be as good for my game as the current non-WHQL drivers." Based on my experience I never think the WHQL drivers are going to be more stable than the beta's.

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yes i saw that driver in winxp, but its fine on my rig i get the same DPC as you in winxp and 90-130us in win7 because of HPET usually its around 110us, so all is good. :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  19. brightside86

brightside86 Member

GPU:
    AMD Sapphire 290X
    hi, i have an issue since 263,x drivers. in game like BC2, FAR CRY 2, Transformers specially BC2 & FAR CRY 2, a vertical or horizontal line(you barely can notice the line but is annoying) when you walk is starting to render objects in front of you or when you sidestepping. I tried every driver and thinking to revert to 260.99 driver to see if that will fix this
    (every time i install new driver i set in nvidia control panel high quality and add 2xmulti sample and 16x antisopic). every help would be apreciated.

P.S 266.58 driver is no keeper for me, longer loading time in bad company 2 and flickering on buildings when you aproach.

20. tvavra

tvavra Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX460 768MB
    which is the best value for prerender frames? :) thx for answer