2600XT on 7.8 - what temps are ok?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Varlis, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Varlis

Varlis Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D iChiLL GTX 670
    Hey guys,

just installed the new 7.8 catalyst today.
    OCing now works very stable for my card. CCC seems much better regading stability.
    Went up to 850/1700 (800/1400 stock) with the following results

3DMark2006 - 3809
    3DMark2005 - 8026

Still not great, but I won't complain.
    Got that figures without bothering to turn off any running apps or optimizing anything and with a system that is now running for more than 4 years without reinstall.

Anyway - my card is now running 63° on idle and 75° on load. Before it was 58 and 72, so no big increase. (Interesting that idle increased, 2D clocks are unchanged....)

But what I am really curious about:

What are the recommended/tolerance temps for the 2600 XT GDDR3?

2. arfster

arfster Member

Wish I knew.

However, you can lower the 2600XT temps if you take the heatsink off (just a few screws, very easy), clean the gunk (lint-free cloth, isopropyl alcohol), and put some decent thermal grease on (I used arctic silver 5).

My 2600XT temps dropped from 60ish to 45ish, which is no great surprise as it was smotttttttttttttthered in gunk before. Fanless it runs around 70, probably less if you have decent case airflow (I don't). That's probably fine, but I'd rather know for sure before leaving it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  3. StimpyOz

StimpyOz Member Guru

GPU:
    Radion 6870
    I got the HIS HD2600XT ICE-Q 512meg . Runs 40 Deg on desktop and peaks to 57 under load . However it doesnt 3Dmark at all on the 7.8 and does not outo overclock ? ? ?

4. Varlis

Varlis Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D iChiLL GTX 670
    Well - before I got my 2600XT I was running my 6200 at 65 idle and 80 load.
    Many people said that's already very high.
    For the 2600XT I have no clue what is "hot" and "cool".

The heatsink issue is a good advice. I should really check whether the cooler is mounted properly.

The airflow in my case is awful. I have one case fan to pull the hot air out, but you can't really call that "flow".
    Whole thing's still very hot.
    I have a non-OCed 3200+ with a (supposedly) good thermaltake cooler, but it gets up to 52° on load, which is far too much.