258.96 SLI Black Screen

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by geeunit, Jul 13, 2010.

1. geeunit

geeunit Master Guru

GPU:
    intel 4500mhd
    hey all:

bad experience with the 258.96 driver (vista x64)
    running the following

MSI 890-GXM-G65 (latest bios as of this writing)
    (2) 8800GTS 512MB (in SLI)
    (2) 2GB Ripjaws
    Vista x64

while playing BFBC2 for about 5-10mins the screen goes completely black but i can hear audio...

tried:
    Alt-Enter
    Cntrl-Alt-Del
    hit the enter key alot
    press the power off button one time....

none of the above worked.
    have to hold power button in for 4seconds to do a hard shutdown....

oh well

2. Barton C++

Barton C++ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    You will get back normal screen when gpu clock(s) change from 3D High Perf, atleast that's what happens with my rig and last two 258 drivers, so you gotta quit BFBC2 somehow.. would ALT + F4 work?

So, you also applied a SLI mod/hack/patch to non SLI mobo... http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-890gxm-g65-review/4 , guess we're doomed... this is the 4th post I see with 258 SLI problems on non SLI mobos with SLI mod.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. Rockshocker

Rockshocker Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
    Is the monitor turrning off, that's what happens to me. I have to actually press the power button on the monitor, so annoying when it happens.

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Your board does not officially support SLI, hack has yet to be updated, so all you can do is wait.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010

5. geeunit

geeunit Master Guru

GPU:
    intel 4500mhd
    wrong

to my understanding it is not the hack but the actual nvidia drivers...

6. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    hmmm, weird, I don't have the issue that's why I said it must be something with the hack. Still what I said is true, all you can do is wait until there is an updated driver.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  7. Wanell

Wanell Member

GPU:
    2x GTX580 SC
    I'm not using the hack and it happens to me as well except the intervals are quite random. It also only started happening with this driver set. In BC2 I can manage to ctrl + alt + delete and I can see it's a driver has stopped responding error (Did a clean driver install still happening). In WoW it force shuts my computer down after the screens say "No Signal".

I'm just to lazy to revert to other drivers lol. Might give the WHQL's a try see how that goes.

8. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    hi, i have the same problem.:bang:

[​IMG]

after 5min black screen, though im using without the sli bridge.

9. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Original 675/1350/3600

Overclocked 800/1600/4000

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

playing all day without an issue, i just had 2 black screens after the boot, and then nothing.all good guys.

:)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  10. Barton C++

Barton C++ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    re: "playing all day without an issue, i just had 2 black screens after the boot, and then nothing.all good guys." ...this sounds like CRAP, HOW can it be OK??????? OM F Guns !!!

dr.noob, your pics, info etc much appreciated !!! I just realize they're SLI GTX 460 with new driver..how about mobo??

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010

11. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    How come your running a tri sli bridge with 2 cards? doesnt it make your image all odd looking?

12. BoudahXL

BoudahXL Member

GPU:
    GTX295 BFG
    Been months w/o the dreaded black screen, I got 2 in 3 days after I installed those drivers and never in-game.

Got one while surfing web (firefox)
    Got one during Picasa updating.

13. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Hi, mobo is in my details, below my avatar.:)

Hi, easy, sli bridges are only available with motherboards, so i couldnt find in stores.But i found the 3 sli, i bought new for 17e.TRI SLI bridges dont fit on these cards as you know, so i had to mod the bridge.

This is what i did:

[​IMG]

:thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  14. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I bought a 2 way bridge for £6 quite easily!

15. anatolymik

anatolymik New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX260 896mb
    Hi friends!

What version of SLIPatch did you use with latest drivers?
    I'm 99% sure NVIDIA think out something new

16. FlinchingNinja

FlinchingNinja Member Guru

GPU:
    460 HAWK, 88GTS 4 Physics
    I have this problem too, at least it is similar.

When I start Windows Live Messenger it will sometimes go to a black screen, the monitor will shut down and then come back up with an error message saying the "Display driver has stopped responding".

Here is the event log,

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Windows error reporting has bugger all information as always.

Have also noticed that "power management mode" comes up under certain profiles.
    I reckon that power management is being mistakenly activated on my GPUs (which don't support it) which is causing the crash.

Geeunit: Have a look at the profiles for IE and some other apps your notice that the power management option appears and disappears and can't be changed from "adaptive".

Can't be 100% sure but that looks like the prob.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  17. sratoc

sratoc Member

GPU:
    gainwood 295gtxsingle pcb
    I didn't see this thread, but this is exactly what started happening to me on the last driver. seems to be an issue when adobe flash launces on here. never in games (except tiger woods online, which is a browser game.)
    bask to early vista days, thought i had seen the last of driver stopped responding....
    installed 196.45 all good again. slight frame drop in some games maybe. but the closing of games, the alt tabbing the whole 2d system seems a lot speedier.

18. Supersnake

Supersnake Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 x 2 SLI
    The "Version 258.96 stopped responding and has successfully recovered" bug has affected me 4 times in past two weeks.

Each time that the crash happened:
    - I was not playing a game
    - My two NVIDIA cards were (are) running cool (45 C and 46 C)
    - I was playing a Flash video, either on YouTube or LiveLeak

Adobe Flash has sent me notifications twice over the past 2 months to update to their latest version, and I did.

I am also getting occasional black screens in my Flash Videos instead of the running video.
    Is this a driver issue?
    Is it a Flash issue?
    ===================
    Windows 7
    GPU 285 (2) SLI

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  19. rebecca1986618

rebecca1986618 Banned

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 460
    There are two kinds of circumstances that may occur:
    One is the problem of your video card and its newest driver. If your video card is really very old I think you can try a new one to play games more interesting. Top 5 Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 Video Cards for Desktop you may need.

Another thing you need notice that it is your game setting problems. You can set first and then to play it! Good Luck!

20. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1 GAMING
    You are not alone. I have the same problem but ONLY while playing Dawn of War 2. After 1h or so, the game sometimes goes on black screen, then comes back to the game. No crash but it freezes my games for a few sec, annoying.

The worse part is that when those freezes happen, my computer stay on black screen after exiting the game! Only solution: hit the shut down switch :s

I've been playing a lot recently, dozen of games (including crysis, borderland, bioshock 2, Left 4 Dead 2...), all runs perfectly fine, ultra smooth no stutter whatever heaven except DoW2.

I guess it's just drivers related and I hope it will be fixed by the upcoming set because it doesn't happen when SLI is disabled.