1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

250 Watts Enough for Radeon 9800 Pro?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ssjkev16, Oct 29, 2004.

1. ssjkev16

ssjkev16 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1900GT
    Hey guyz, does anyone here know if a 250 Watts power supply is sufficient enough for a Radeon 9800 Pro videocard? It is a 250 Watt power supply from an HP computer by the way, which is currently hooked up to a 80 gig hard drive, 1 dvd rom, 1 dvd burner, floppy drive, and one case fan. Thanx guyz

2. Darrin

Darrin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PX7800GTX @ 450/1250
    There is only one way to find out buddy ;) try it, the worst that will happen is nothing :)

But do get a good 400 or 450 watt PSU so you can add more stuff later one.

I run a 400 genric PSU and my system is yet to lock, crash or BSOD :D

3. brownhornet

brownhornet Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260
  4. Darrin

Darrin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PX7800GTX @ 450/1250
    indeed

5. ssjkev16

ssjkev16 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1900GT
    yeah, thanx for da suggestions, but yeah, do you know if any of the power supplies that i buy would fit a compact case, the kind of case that barely have any legroom, and could only fit a micro ATX motherboard or uATX.(man I hate HP brand computers!! Grrr.) well, that aside, any other insights on the topic?

6. weiran

weiran Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT 256MB + 2x 19" TFTs
    Err.. on the side of caution, if you do overload your powersupply excessively then it will do some ugly things (and they don't smell too good either...).

Also, does HP use its own custom PSU? Then you might not be able to get one that fits, but I suppose you could try gutting one from a SFF PC...

7. ssjkev16

ssjkev16 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1900GT
    I don't really know if they are custom PSU's or not, all it says on the PSU is 250 Watts, does not indicate any brand name whatsoever....But I suspect my PSU to be smaller than the normal ones, since my case is pretty small as well.....how can I find a PSU that fits? do you guyz know of any place that would sell smaller size psu's?

8. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    no, get 350 watt psu , but soon you will replace your card with a better 1 so get 480 psu so u dont have to upgrade later.

9. ssjkev16

ssjkev16 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1900GT
    yeah dominant1 I would love to upgrade my PSU, but the problem is that I think my rig is fitted with a smaller sized PSU, not the standard ATX psu's, I've compared the sizes of the psu in my rig, to a friend of mines, which has a standard ATX case, and my seems to be a little bit smaller. The problem is, where do I find smaller size psu's? I have no idea where to find such a PSU, as most of them listed on the internet are Standard ATX ones. So I just wanted to know if 250 watts is good enough to run a 9800 Pro. Because upgrading my psu would be quite difficult.

10. SL2

SL2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    You're probably looking for a 1 unit sized PSU.
    HTPC and some SFF PC's [Not Shuttle] use the same type, so you're better off searching for PSU's for them.

List your current PSU's amperage ratings [Can be found on PSU sticker].

11. brownhornet

brownhornet Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260
    you can do a google search for it,and if i am right the 9800 need's
    at least 250w to run,plus you have other thing's inside sucking up the watt's.i recomend more if you can get it

12. Alo

Alo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9600XT
    Go spend 80 bucks and get a new case with a high watt PSU. Transfer your stuff and be done with it.:D

13. Spike1977

Spike1977 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon X800 XTPE 256MB VIVO Artic Cooling Rev4
    A 9800Pro need's a min of at least 300 Watts PSU, so really aim for a 350 > 450 to keep the system running smooth.

Spike1977:cool:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  14. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    Agreed. Thats the most sensible and cost-effective solution.

15. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    No.....!

16. Venix

Venix Guest

with 400watt you will be allwrite ati x800xt working with 350 without problem 6800 pro no prob again with 6800ultra you will have prob so you choose...

17. Shadow27

Shadow27 Member

GPU:
    x800xt
    Hey,
    i had the same problem with my HP awhile back, i'm guessing you might have the same model as me, the pavilion t134a. If so, don't worry about the size of the power supply, any normal sized one will go in there fine. I replaced mine with a 400watt. You definetly need a better power supply than the one that comes with the pc, my 9800 pro wouldn't run with it (250watt).

Almost everything in mine has been modded or replaced, the only thing left standard is the exhaust fan, CPU and case :D.

Here are some pics of what mine looked like a couple months ago before i replaced the motherboard and sleeved the cables: (sorry for the poor quality, mobile phone camera:D )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway hope this helped

Shadow27

18. StanSuarez

StanSuarez Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon HD5870 1GB
    9800pros do fine inside shuttle boxes and they have 250w PSUs at best. To answer the original post, yes a 250w PSU will be enough for the 9800pro. However, there is wisdom in upgrading your PSU. Get the most you can afford.

19. Ice-Tea

Ice-Tea Member

GPU:
    Asus 9999GE/256MB OC'd and unlocked
    Use http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ tool. I filled it in and it's too close to call. It depends a bit on your CPU. You could give it a shot, but it doesn't look good.

If you want to be more sure before buying, add a few light bulbs on the 12V on your current setup. Not exactly fail safe, but it could give ya an indication.

20. F!shyz0r

F!shyz0r Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6600GT 128MB @ 560 / 1150
    lol don't bother i have a 300watt powersupply from paradigit computers and they can run 12 case fans(5 with leds), cpu fan, dvd drive, burning drive, floppy, very far overclocked 5900XT, hdd maxtor 80 gig, 512 pc2700 ram(samsung)..... and didn't had ANY hookups of my powersupply EVER!! have the pc for 2 jears now....