24-bit color depth cards

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by nostromo7278, Jul 4, 2011.

1. nostromo7278

nostromo7278 New Member

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce FX 128 MB
    I need a specific type of graphics card, but I'm not quite sure where to look. It specifically must have these two properties. 1) It has to provide a 24-bit color depth. Most cards nowadays are 32-bit, allowing you to only select 16-bit or 32-bit color depth as a color quality setting. 2) It has to be fully DirectX 8 compatible.

This is likely to be an obsolete card. I've searched Ebay, and have gone to my local computer store that sells used graphics cards. I've also contacted the manufacturer of a card that was close to what I'm looking for. I still have been unable to find a card that has BOTH of the properties that I need. Does anyone know where I might find such a card? Or do you know of a card that has the two qualities that I'm looking for? Does one even exist? Thanks for your time and any input that you may be willing to provide.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    24bit video encoding still uses 32bits (even if you can select 24bit).
    This is because a single data transfer uses either 1, 2 or 4x8bit lanes.
    There is no way to only use 3x8bit lanes, the last 8bits are used as padding for the 24bits and are discarded.

All cards are supposed to be backward compliant with DirectX, so DX8 'shouldnt' be a problem.

Can I ask what you intend to use it with?
    Any clue on why it has specific requirements?

Have you tested already with a modern gfx card?
    Which connection method is used?

I dont disbelieve that you may have a device with such very specific needs, I'm quite interested to know what it is.

3. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56