24/7 compact in pocket camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by damien666, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    The E-P1 is a great little camera (for the current rate that is :)). I use it mostly w/ the Panasonic 20mm/1.7 (WAY sharper than the 17mm) or an old Pentax SMC 28/2 via adapter (all manual but I got that lens for $20). I also have an EF adapter for mounting my Canon glass, no aperature control there tho.

2. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    well guys i have searched high and low and no one says a compact camera is better than the S95 so i think itll be this one seen as the 4/3 are too big and i might as well use my 550D if i use one of them :)

ps theirs a S90 / S95 is their talk of a S100 or update to the S95 ?

3. sirrith

sirrith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    I was going to get the 20 1.7, but figured that if I did that, I'd have to buy the camera body separately, which cost 199 pounds cheapest I could find, and another 280 or so for the panny, making it more than 150 quid dearer than the combo I bought :D
    (I didn't fancy paying more than I did for my 450D on a "compact")

Damien, true, the m4/3 aren't really as tiny as the s95, I guess I just can't live with tiny sensors anymore :p
    I havn't heard anything about an update for the s95, but then again I havn't really been looking. The s95 is pretty recent though isn't it?

4. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Damien, the S95 came out in 08/10 and I haven't heard any rumors for a replacement yet. Probably will be a while out w/ the situation in Japan.

Sirrith, I hear you -- got the E-P1/17mm kit for cheap too, idea was to have the wife use it on a trip instead of a P&S. After playing around w/ it some and seeing what it can do w/ a 70-200 f4L I decided to get her the 20mm (also because the f1.7 makes it pretty usable indoors) -- she will be back tomorrow, hope I don't end up w/ a E-P1 embedded in my skull... ;)

5. Gump

Gump Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon HD 6850
    I saw you had looked at the TZ10. I just got the DMC-TZ20 aka DMC-ZS10. Still no RAW, but I am very happy so far. Have to go to the global Panasonic page to get all the details.

The deciding factors for me was Full HD video, 16x optical zoom and its able to take some macro shots.

Give it a read over here:
    http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/zs10_tz20/lens.html