23.976 Hz refresh rate - impossible?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by puntloos, Apr 22, 2009.

1. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    I don't see the benefit and point of getting the hertz down that low. I'm happy with mine at 60Hz, don't see a need to change it. Though, mine can't go into the 20s, I'm fine with it at 60 or 59.5. I would think that in 3 months of "research" that you would find something or a forum somewhere that would tell you it. The settings in nTune can adjust the monitor just as well as Rivatuner, no need to get that when nTune works to what he needs.

2. puntloos

puntloos Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9300
    Hey, thanks for the screenshot.. Yeah I tried this.. I had it set to 23.976 that way, but if you save and go back to the main custom resolutions screen, it says 23.98. At that time I figured it might just be the interface mis-reporting but the AV sync problems still happen. It takes longer to desync but it still happens.

Maybe the parameters aren't exact enough and we need something to do exact EDID parsing.

Ideally I'm looking for
    - A tool that displays the -exact- current refresh rate
    - A tool that can force the driver to do exactly what the user wants.

3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    .... i'm still baffled as to why you're audio is getting out of sync with the video. the ONLY (repeat: ONLY) time i've ever seen that happen is with a .avi or other type of movie file that was encoded incorrectly. Every DVD or BluRay movie i've ever watched went perfectly. I'm seriously thinking it's a hardware issue, and not a random thought of needing some oddball refresh rate to be set in order to correct it.

4. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    Thats why I'm thinking its a problem with his audio equipment and how he doesn't have it playing on the same unit as the movie. It doesn't make sense to say its the monitor or tv, its more than likely the audio equipment or the video card itself. And not the hertz.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Maybe he's to play them off the HDD and not dvd....

Or maybe it's not actually a tru HD movie? Or maybe he's using the wrong codecs. Or it's the player? What player are you using puntloos?

Or maybe the file wasn't converted properly (which to me would point to TPB? I mean GoogleWare lol) or the Audio isn't being converted properly. Edit: I see you mentioned that already...

Maybe it's the Conficker Virus?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    IMO you should be concerned about actual refresh rate (under desired refresh rate) instead of what windows shows because it's inaccurate.
    Yeah, it would be nice to know what software he is using.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    His specs and equipment all seem a bit vague really, unless I just missed something somewhere...

8. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    I don't think he's ever mentioned any equipment other than the GeForce 9300...

9. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    he never even really mentioned the 9300..... that's in his specs

10. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    This thread was truly painful to read.

Film fps is not the same as a monitors refresh rate. I once had a monitor that gave absolutely horrendous headaches just from using it. I found out that it had a max refresh rate of either 50Hz or 55Hz at the resolution it was set to. Dropping the resolution to one with a more reasonable max refresh rate solved the problem. Now I see someone wanting to force a monitor to 23.976Hz in an attempt to match a video fps?

facepalm.jpg

Yeesh....

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  12. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    Thats exactly what I said on the last page. I don't think it belongs here... this is more suited to the HD and HTPC section because he isn't really using RivaTuner, just wants his refresh rate lowered for some reason.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    You are a bit confused, you should read about refresh rates from Wikipedia.

I made some quotes from Wikipedia below.
    LCD's:
    CRT's:
    Moderator should move this thread to HTPC section.

14. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I am not confused. Wikipedia can say whatever it wants. I can very clearly see the difference in 50hz and 75hz (the CRT's refresh rate, NOT the source input rate). It's especially noticeable when the 50hz signal is interlaced, at a far higher resolution than the tiny monitor should be used at, and on an ancient computer CRT, thus the intense headaches.

I'm uncomfortable using anything below 75hz for a computer CRT.

15. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    ....of COURSE you'd be uncomfortable using anything below 75hz. probably EVERYBODY would. CRT's use higher refresh rates because of the aforementioned fact that the phosphors in a CRT darken much faster than the pixels in an LCD. lower refresh rates in a CRT = noticable flicker. THAT is why you can VERY clearly see the difference between 50hz and 75 hz. We're talking more along the lines of say a 60hz refresh rate typically found in LCD's, and say a 80-120hz refresh rate typically found in CRT's. seeing a difference between 50hz and 75hz on a CRT isn't something spectacular, and is entirely understandable, because you're more than likely noticing the lack of a noticable flicker than the actual refresh rate.

16. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Jesus this thread is confusing, you do not need know all that to play back any movie period.

"Modern TVs" as peep above pout it ain't 24HZ, they use a 5x Multiplier to make Blu Ray (24FPS) play at 120HZ for less motion lag.

HZ and FPS are related but not in the simply way most think, ie 60HZ = 60FPS Max.

If the above was true then all TV's would lack in a fast action movie.

I cannot remember which site explains it very technically but very well but its to do with FPS dropping to 1/2 of HZ or such.

17. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Most movies and Tv shows are 25 and 29 Fps Dude

18. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Correct, I know that and the above was a pure example.

If 24FPS/24HZ (Blu Ray) was suffice then they would not need to make it 120HZ for lag free viewing.

You can read all about in on the BluRay.com Forums.

Actually the Yanks don't even use Whole numbers, they have 23.xxx and 29.xxx

19. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    I don't get it..... so are you also saying that watching a BluRay movie on a 60hz monitor will result in lag of some sort? I've watched several BluRay movies on such a setup, and i've seen no noticable lag of any sort.

20. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Where did I say that ?

What you think is smooth others don't think it is.

You think they made new 120HZ panels for the sake of it (not the same as old 50HZ to 100HZ CRT TV's which could actually look bad).

The exact same now with some PC LCD Monitors are now entering market with 120HZ (motion lag).

I advise you actually go and read up on it before making statements. :)