$2280 USD Mini ITX Desktop Supercomputer-Like PC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jordancondi, May 6, 2018.

?

If I choose 16GB DDR4 SDRAM, what should I spend the remaining ~$180 on?

1. Keep the remaining US dollars until the next upgrade in 4-5 years time

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. More SSD / hard drive storage (Internal)

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. More hard drive storage (External)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. How does everything even fit inside that shoebox???

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jordancondi

jordancondi New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
    So I am upgrading from my old desktop which has Intel i5 3570, Radeon R9 270X, 8GB DDR3-1600 and a whole bunch of other stuff, to a new mini ITX system and I would like to know your thoughts and how I could (preferably!) reduce the cost of the system without compromising on performance. I will be building the system in June. The computer case has already been bought and received.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HmhW3b
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HmhW3b/by_merchant/
    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.00 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($209.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($356.99 @ Newegg Business)
    Storage: HP - EX920 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($175.99 @ Newegg Business)
    Storage: Western Digital - Black 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card ($929.90 @ Amazon)
    Case: DAN Cases - A4SFXV2-S Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For $0.00)
    Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($114.00 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A9 PWM 46.4 CFM 92mm Fan ($16.59 @ OutletPC)
    Other: Asetek 545LC 92mm AIO CPU Liquid Cooler + AM4 Bracket ($92.00)
    Total: $2277.45
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-06 07:29 EDT-0400

• The Asetek 545LC AIO is a necessity
    • The system is meant for 4K video editing, running videogames at native 4K resolution, though I am unsure that 32GB RAM is a necessity
    • The computer case supports only a dual slot, up to 303mm long video card
    • I have a maximum spending budget of $2280 USD.
    • I will be purchasing the monitor I want separately.
    • The inflated video card and system memory prices really makes me sad D:

Noisiv likes this.
  2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Looks like it's going to be one heck of a system (congrats). Everything looks to be matched nicely iam just wondering what you plan to do as far as a possible Soundcard and some good Headphones and the monitor you picked. It's not mandatory anymore for a soundcard newer motherboards have Amazing sound already baked into them but just incase it will give you something to think about for that $180 you have left.

Enjoy the build my brother. Nick.

jordancondi likes this.
  3. jordancondi

jordancondi New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
    Are there external soundcards? I already have headphones yeah, don't need new ones haha.

Thanks man

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Ah I believe so yes But I wouldn't be able to point you in the right direction since I have an Internal soundcard Creative soundblaster Fatality x, I've seen a couple externals but they were really cheep you wouldn't like them.

5. jordancondi

jordancondi New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
    My computer case only supports 1 PCIe device and that's taken up by the video card already haha so internal sound cards aren't an option and I don't think they make any difference nowadays really as opposed to 15 years ago

6. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Looks good there, but still I would rather go with air cooler than 120mm AIO, if AIO then check Swiftech range or Enermax which seems are best performers

Regarding the sound cards, check few external DAC from Schiit or Fiio and many many others, it really depends what are you looking to spend

If they improve sound, I would say yes, but this again depends on headphones or speakers etc

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

nz3777 likes this.
  7. jordancondi

jordancondi New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
    Hi, it's not a 120mm AIO. It's 92mm AIO. Air cooling sufficient enough to cool the processor doesn't really exist.

8. mkh

mkh Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual O8G
    I would swap out the ram for a samsung b-die kit (3200 cl14).
    The ram you chose is hynix m-die (most if not all 3200 cl16 are hynix). It may or may not reach 3200 speeds you pay for.
    Other than that. Looks like a great build :)

9. jordancondi

jordancondi New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
    The CL14 kit would be too expensive unless I downgrade to 16GB RAM. What would be the best 32GB RAM kit for $360 USD or less?

10. mkh

mkh Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual O8G
    Can't really say. All ram seems really overpriced at the moment. You might be lucky with your cpu's imc and ram and get that kit to run 3200cl16.
    Now that I think about it. I don't think it matters that much when you game at 4K res since you're going to be more gpu limited at that res. Maybe min fps would be higher though.

11. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Ramm is just ridiculous at the moment! Hell I was going to add another 8gb ddr3 on our old system but they even jacked-up the price on those as well. Ssd prices fell a little bit tough,I shop only at Microcenter so you can check new-egg they usually price match.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    easy
    2 studio monitor speakers... by FAR!

although thats proly closer to $300