1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

21:9 monitors. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by 0blivious, Nov 10, 2016.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    So I ordered my girlfriend a 29" ultra-wide monitor that arrives today. An LG 29UM68-P with 2560x1080 resolution.

This is our first ultra-wide and I suspect we will have some growing pains as not everything supports this wide ratio. Does anyone who is using 21:9 have any tips for making the experience better? Good software or tricks? Good websites? I found WSGF a bit lacking.

On a side note, I anticipate being jealous of her extra FOV and getting myself a Predator eventually.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
  3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    I'll look at that. Thank you.

Meanwhile, after seeing the awesomeness of extra FOV on her Ultrawide, I was inspired to play with my 42" 4K TV a bit. Found you could adjust the desktop/gaming resolution through the nvidia control panel. I am now running 3840x1620@60Hz as my resolution.

It's fantastic for Civilization VI. I did a quick load of TW3 and a racing game and I'm sold on this extra width. It's not a gaming monitor though.

4. zixss

zixss Member

GPU:
    ASUS RX480 8GB
    From today i`m a proud owner of LG29UM68-P monitor. At first i`m trying to get used to it into a normal applications- browsing, etc. Battlefield 1 is awesome.
    But, i`m really sorry that the height is 0.5cm less than my 24 16:9 monitor, but i can`t afford to buy the LG 34 UltraWide, where the height should be similar to 16:9 27 monitor. Do you feel so sorry as me in terms of height size ?

5. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    Sure, it would nice if the 29" units were taller. As it is, a 29" Ultrawide is essentially a 24" 16:9 monitor stretched sideways (which is what this is replacing).

I know my girlfriend is loving it. I also know I'll be getting something bigger when I go Ultrawide. Those 34" units seem about right. Or bigger. Huge price leap though.

No regrets. :nerd:

PS - I sure love the little joystick control system on this LG monitor (rather than a 4/5 button clunkiness). Best setup I've seen. Hope it becomes standard.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  6. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Glad to see people enjoying 21:9 monitors (I have the X34 Predator myself :nerd:). One tip I recommend if you find games not supporting 21:9 resolutions (anything by Blizzard lazy f***s) is full-screen windowed which sometimes fixes this (works for Diablo 3).

7. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    To paraphrase Yoda, "Strong is the love for 21:9". :D I started out with an AOC Q2963PM about 3-4 months back, fell in love with the extra width when gaming, works great for newer games that support such res, like Doom, BFBC2, BF3, BF4, BF1, Titanfall 2, etc. Especially good for racing sim, but obviously not as good as my old EyeFinity setup (before going UW), but always good when there're less cables to deal with as well.
    [​IMG]

Within weeks of getting the AOC UW monitor, I decided to up my game by getting the Acer XR341CK for 3440x1440 of UW goodness, that I have 2x HD290X made the Acer a no brainer (plus I intend to get a TOTL Vega when it's out next year). Another advantage of 21:9 format is that it's awesome for watching WS HD movies, for example, below is a scene from a movie...
    [​IMG]
    Note the presence of the black bar on top and below (ignore that bars on the sides) this is what you see in size on a 27" 16:9 monitor. Buuuut....IF you crop the picture to 2.35:1/2.39:1 ratio, you'd get what you see below.
    [​IMG]
    True, you lose a little in term of res by cropping a smaller image to fit the entire screen but the image looks great anyway....now, I find myself preferring WS movies like the example above instead of the usual 16:9 format movies.

8. Odellot

Odellot Master Guru

GPU:
    2080TI SLI PG348Q
    Love Mine..Been using PG348Q since August 2016..Ultrawide is very sweet when using After Effects and Premiere..When Playing Games, I always check WSGF website for tweaks or compatibility of games.

[​IMG]

9. XcroN

XcroN Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Aorus xtreme
    Still in love with my PG348Q here :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    That would give you the same horizontal FOV with a lower vertical FOV at the same object size. That is, if you are getting any extra horizontal FOV and the same vertical FOV running 3820x1620, then your object size is smaller and changing FOV in-game and running 3840x2160 would simply give you a higher vertical FOV.

I don't think that's a good idea at all. That's assuming, of course, that the custom resolution set adds black bars on the top and bottom of the display, and does not stretch the image vertically to fill in the missing pixel lines.

11. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    I just got one a few days ago. I went to best buy and got a 29" freesync but it was the wrong model! It had no display port and no freesync so I had to order the correct model on their website. Noticed they had the 34" version with freesync on sale for 30 bucks cheaper so I did that. I am much happier with the vertical height on the 34" than on the 29".

Was deeply saddened when I found out that you can not downsample with VSR with ultrawide yet. I do not mind the 2560x1080 on this size monitor, but when coming from a 55" tv that I could downsample 4k on older games, its rough playing those same games without it. Some games just dont let you force AA...

3440x1440 is just too heavy to run games on without a monster gpu so that was out of the question for me. 2560x1080 is already ~30% more pixels than 1080p so games already run a bit less fps but nothing crazy.

I have not had any problems with any game yet. All the games I have tried run ultrawide perfectly. Games like the Witcher 3 run 16:9 (so you get the bars on the side) when you are in conversation and then go back to ultra wide when you resume. Some game menus run 16:9 and then jump to ultrawide when you get in game. Support is there. Use Flawless Widescreen for games that do not have native support.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
  13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    It was mainly just to screw around with extra FOV. It actually works just like an ultrawide monitor as I can use my girlfriend's to compare. Problem is that it's a TV and it just plain sucks for gaming.

I sure love her 21:9 unit. I also love my 144hz 1080p monitor. You can see where this is heading...

14. GraciaRyan0102

GraciaRyan0102 New Member

GPU:
    21:9 aspect ratio

The most commonly used aspect ratios are 16:9 and 21:9. You can get more information here. 21:9 resolution really impressed us a lot in a way that we didn’t even expect.