20TB drives with SMR from Seagate coming in the next few months

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    I still remember when higher capacity hard drives meant that the lower capacity hard drives got cheaper.
    What a time to be alive!

3. hawk7000

hawk7000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    Title: "20TB drives with SMR from Seagate coming in the next few months"

Quote from Seagate: "We expect to begin shipping 20 terabyte PMR drives in the second half of this calendar year."

Are these different drives, or is the title wrong and this is about PMR/CMR drives?

4. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I had a displeasure of experiencing how unusably bad Shingled drives are, I wouldn't go anywhere near these garbage. At best they are like using a rewritable CD as if it was an HDD.

5. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Using SMR here on an small-sized (2.5") large capacity (5TB) external USB 3.0 drive for using Hyper Backup on my NAS. For this use-case they are fairly capable, and there are no 2.5" drives that are large capacity (5TB or more) that are not SMR as far as I know, so there is actually no alternative other than to go to extremely expensive SSD, or to change to a bigger form factor.

But anyway... any workload slightly more complicated than that and... yup, wouldn't even think of using SMR!

LimitbreakOr likes this.
  6. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, that would be one of the very rare and unique situations where SMR isn't completely useless although CMR would still be preferable.