2080Ti bottleneck

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Netherwind, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Ever since I've gotten my 2080Ti I've felt that my CPU was holding it back but it seems that it's gotten worse of late. I tried benching both SotTR and TD2 just to get an idea of how the CPU is doing and even though I'm benching at 3440x1440 the CPU gets pegged at 100% for moments here and there. This seems to introduce frametime spikes but the GPU utilization seems to differ between SotTR and TD2. Unfortunately SotTR crashed after I completed my benchmark but here is TD2.

I knew my 6700K at 4500MHz would perhaps be limiting the 2080Ti but I wonder how bad it really is. I can say that playing AC:Odyssey isn't too great at 3440x1440 with the CPU hitting 100% most of the time.

[​IMG]

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Limiting factor in this case is only lack of cores/threads on the cpu. 6700k is just a quad core with ht.

Im sure older 6c/12t cpu like 5820k would run much better despite lower ipc.

Darkest and XenthorX like this.
  3. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Agreed, newer games can really hit the cores pretty hard and its a trend that is only going up. Assassins Creed Odyssey hits my processor extremely hard and I have the 8700k (6c/12t). Let me test SotTR and AC:O and I will get back to you.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Pretty much the same situation as you @Netherwind with my 5930K at 4.5GHz.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Apparently @fantaskarsef has the same problem even with 6c/12t. Maybe a 2700X would do the trick in this case? At least while waiting for the 3700X.

Thanks for testing those as well.

Have you considered upgrading?

6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    5820K - 2080-Ti - 4K : i've a blast here, even on AC:Odyssey. Also with DX12 and Vulkan at last catching some momentum i think i'm gonna be good for a bit.

7. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I don't seem to having any issues with my 9600k at 5ghz with 4k resolution. Keeps 60fps at 4k with my 2080ti with pretty much everything I throw at it.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I agree that 4K works better than 3440x1440, even in Odyssey.

I wish that AMD would give us a release date for the 3000 series already. Otherwise I'm thinking about getting a 2700X, MSI B450 A-Pro, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz

XenthorX likes this.
  9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yes indeed I am waiting to see what AMD's Zen2 brings to the game... I would prefer their performance to be adequate, so I can avoid Intel tbh. Although that will bring new challanges, haven't had an AMD CPU of the Ryzens that I'd properly play with in terms of OC and RAM tweaking. :D

Indeed, any bottleneck is decreased by growing resolution. I'm running "2K" here so I do have the feeling that the 2080TI could do more, at least a bit more. But yes those "lags" or microstutter or frimetime spikes, I kind of know that, especially in Battlefield, not so much in Overwatch for instance.

XenthorX likes this.
  10. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    So in AC:O I range between 40-85% on cpu usage, depending on where I am at. Turning down the settings from ultra to very high puts a bit more on the cpu which makes sense but not by much. Maybe 5-10%. I am running the same res as you btw (3440x1440) on a 1080ti with a 8700k @ 4.7ghz. SotTR I am between 20-60% on cpu usage, dpending on where I am at. Its hard to give exact numbers because it jumps around so much. I have HWMonitor running on my second screen and trying to look at 12 threads to give an average is difficult. Both showed a maximum of 98% usage but the only time I saw that was when the game was loading- it never got close to that during actual game play. Even BF5 can hit around 20-50% on all threads at this res. I have to say though, if you look at most benchmarks, anything 1440p and higher starts to see diminishing returns with clock speeds, but having a higher core count for newer games + high frequency does net an increase in performance. I went from a 6600k to this processor and as you can imagine, the results were huge. You at least have HT which is a huge help, but going to at least an 8c/16T proc might be a worthwhile investment if you are truly aiming for more than 60+ fps (I am running 120hz). Having said that, I think right at this very moment that it might not net you the performance gain you would expect for the price of a new mobo+proc. If you have the money to burn, then absolutely go for it. Best of gaming to you sir.

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    While I agree with you, I have my doubts about more cores actually helping for higher FPS gaming.
    Mostly because dx12 most of the times is still not doing too much, and when I look at the core scaling in HH's latest reviews (Anno1800 and Division 2) it does not look like more cores help at 1440p and upwards.
    I would more consider IPC / clocks as the main limiting thing these days, since especially with more FPS targeted, more instructions per clock per second is the thing to do, at least in my impression.

Sadly, CPU development is only really advancing with AMD, I'm so bored out of anything Intel has had, has, or is about to release that it takes the fun out of buying an Intel system tbh.

12. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Respect.
    I agree with you as well, especially considering we are talking about resolutions above 1080p. However, anytime your processor is reaching 90-100% of use, you are being limited no? Its why I mentioned that he may see an improvement, but it may not be what he expects given the price of entry. In this case, money might be better spent in cooling with a higher oc than a base overhaul of components given that he is at a higher resolution, especially UW 1440p and up. AC:O is a rare case of cpu usage as it seems to murder processors just like AC:Origins did, but if the trend continues, I fear that a simple boost in clocks will not be enough at some point. I am not keen on upgrading for one or two games, but I sure am glad I went with a 6c/12t proc instead of using my old board and slapping a 7700k in it. I have the option of putting the 9900k 8c/16t proc in here if it comes down to it before DDR5 comes out.
    Having said all this, better cooling and pushing to 5ghz might be the enthusiast choice for the time being and should keep performance in the +.

Cheers

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Are you? Becouse im sure 5930k have alot more headroom than 6700k. No way you are seeing 100% cpu usage while playing games.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I read that X570 mobos will be released in a month so perhaps then? :)

I had a 1080Ti before and I didn't notice any bottlenecks then, it's with the 2080Ti that I have problems. For SotTR I put all my cores in MSI AB OSD and ran one benchmark. In the first scene I noticed how the CPU was mostly around 95-100%. In the second scene it happened as well, though less often. In the third scene it took half a second for the mountain to render but the CPU usage was mainly OK. The GPU load however was never at 99%, more around 75-85 depending on the scene.

TD2 benchmark was another thing, the CPU did go up to 100% several times but the GPU load was unaffected and mostly stayed at 95-97%.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    @Netherwind at that moment when the cpu spike to 100% do you feel any kinda of stutter or lag?

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Yes but its severity differs from game. In Odyssey it's really bad, in SotTR is not as bad and in TD2 its not as noticeable.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I'd say definitely wait for Ryzen 3000 and 500 series mobos at this point. Zen 2 should be a considerable jump up from Zen and Zen+

Zen 2 should clock notably higher than previous ones and it's also the first 7 nm CPU ever. Ofc, real performance to be seen with reviews but signs are good.

18. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    I have heard that Odyssey is really poorly optimized for pc. Probably not the best game to judge your cpu with.

airbud7 and BlackZero like this.
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    It is actually one of the best cpu tests out there. Game can use 8+ threads. We wanted a game that scale very well with multithreaded cpu's and now your calling it poorly optimized.

20. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    Scaling with cores isn't the same as well optimized though. Do you think the game justifies the hit on the cpu? Odyssey looks fine but it's not exactly Crysis 4 either.
    I mean if the reports about Denuvo are true, then no game with Denuvo should be used to decide whether to upgrade your processor or not. Just my opinion.

Witcher 3 which at times looks better than odyssey, other times not, performs much better and I don't even know if that game scales beyond 4 cores.

airbud7, fantaskarsef and -Tj- like this.