1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2080 Ti Aorus - crashing only in firestrike

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by jmmy23, Mar 15, 2019.

1. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hi. I have a weird problem. My oc is memory +1000mhz and gpu core +85 ,stable all games ,time spy,unigine,and others. Power limit maxed,voltage maxed ,fan 100%.

But in fire strike gpu test 1 can crash driver on looped test.
    I tried to lower overclock to +25 and memory +0 but still crashing. I am using 419.35 drivers.
    Is this issue with my card or just gpu test 1 FS is too much demanding?

If i oc even on 25+ it crash but on stock not crash from the other side.

But on all games i have +85core and 1000+memory stable.

i was trying everything even fan 100% power limit 100%-120%-133%, voltage max or not, memory 0+ its still crashing in gpu test 1 firestrike. Loop max 3-4 minutes. Temps low still.

In games,other benches,time spy,port royal ---> 2070mhz stable , memory 1000+. In fire strike gpu test 1 1920-1950 not stable . ?!!

2. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Zotac AMP!
    I say this in every thread like this because I had the exact same issue and it was driving me mad, but how is the power connected to the card? Are you using 2 separate PCI-E cables from the PSU, or are you using one cable with 2 connectors on the end?

I was using 1 cable, adding an additional cable fixed all my issues.

3. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    not cables related

I reinstalled MSI AFTERBURNER and using AORUS ENGINE UTILITY i raised clock again and showing VREL/PWR and no crashing. So it was oc issue program bug something i messed.

Currently +70 core / 700memory + and stable fire strike.

SSJBillClinton likes this.
  4. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Zotac AMP!
    Weird, glad it's sorted dude!

5. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Damn one time it crashed but with Afterburner RIva OSD monitoring. Dont know if oc or riva tuner caused display crash. Maybe i will turn down oc a bit like -5mhz on core ,but hard to reproduce. Anyway i go -5 and try longer loop. Or maybe that was caused by afterburner?

6. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    easy fix....stop playing fire strike....Far Cry 5 is much much better....

Solfaur and Undying like this.
  7. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Yeah i know, thx airbud7 but want to be sure all is stable even in firestrike.

Ok using MSI OC SCANNER. First test on stock. ANd then....

Max limit power,temp limit,voltage max and click scan? Or all default,scan and on the end all max?

After scan when i clicked test i think curve was go to lower and boost was lower but before test i must click apply or not?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  8. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Something is f**** up. Even without curve my voltage fluctuating like crazy,maybe its normal? I have maxed sliders power ,temp,voltage. One time on 2020mhz is 1.870v ,second time is 1.050v. Its random. Its normal? Sometimes on 1950 is 1.340v ,sometimes its 1.670v,1870v etc. I am testing firestrike gpu test 1 and i have crashing when i am looped. Even on small oc is crash.
    Even +20 core boost, and crash after 10 min or 30min or 4 hours. Tried on stock memory but still crashing.
    Only not crashing when gpu core is on stock + still all limits maxed,but stock boost ( 1695mhz ).

My psu is fine.
    Corsair 850RmX

ps:
    Ah its only firestrike gpu 1 test. On all games and other benches i am stable on 2080mhz even .
    I am too stupid to make own curve:(I dont understand that dots,what and where to move etc lol

9. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

With V/F curve applied correctly yours voltage shouldn't fluctuate

Regarding the FireStrike Graphic Test 1 looped, I would check if you are hitting any limit in GPU-Z and suspecting in Event Viewer you will see nvlddmkm error which is TDR

Please read review of RTX 2080Ti and mainly OC how is done, try with max power limit set and default or max, temp limit max, voltage keep stock or 0 and click scan, then apply or save these settings to yours profile etc, its easy there

You can try changing in Nvidia panel power management mode to prefer performance, Adaptive or Optimal mode, in some games or benchmarks this can help, I know in some games performance mode will cause TDR which is strange

If in games yours OC is stable then I would ignore any benchmark, same applies to any OC to CPU, have look friend 8700k is running I think 5.1GHz which is stable like in gaming or rendering, but in Prime or OCCT 4.4.2 it will crash, I tested his CPU in 24/7 render test and passed with flying colors and didn't crashed, in OCCT 4.4.2 I needed to raise voltage to 1.51v from 1.34v to be stable and refused to run such voltage just for one test or benchmarks, due this I ignore such benchmarks if his CPU is stable what he is doing

Regarding the how to use V/F curve or how to OC through this, please check this YT

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

10. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti

11. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Personally I would use two separate PCI_E cables for GPU, this I'm running on all my 4* GPUs but ky PSU is Superflower 8pack 2000W but previously I run dual PSU setup(Seasonic 1250w XM2 and Corsair RM750W)

I would try both, running with single then with two separate PCI_E cables and check for any stability issues

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

12. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Ok i made a CURVE thank you ! ITS WORKING FLAWLESSLY 1.870v to 1.930v but sometimes it dips from 2055mhz to 1965mhz and go up again to 2055mhz. Why?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  13. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Check again if you not hitting any limit, power or thermal limit, voltage etc

In FireStrike you should see higher utilisation and you can be close or will be hitting power limit, if you are hitting Power Limit then only option is available for you flash with different BIOS like XOC or Galax 380W BIOS

You want see stable voltage or no drops from 1.093v to 1.08v or less, if you are seeing this redo again V/F curve

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Yep, single rail. He can use the one cable, just make sure it isn't getting too hot when under load. However, his system has 6 PCI-E cables, so the manufacturer intended to support up to Tri-SLI with 2x8pin cards, so I would use 2 cables.

15. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    How many clock core mhz increasemt in curve? 13-20 ? i mean how much lowering everytime

It keep resetting everytime

16. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Here is my V/F curve,its 2070MHz at 1.05v and 800MHz on VRAM,this is with Galax 380W BIOS

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

airbud7 likes this.
  17. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Ok but if i am hitting pwr limit that curve not make sense?

Also question about oc scanner. So maxed power limit,temp limit before scan? If yes...then after scan ,click apply settings and test? Or immidiatelly test and after test apply settings?

I ask because after scan when i am clicking test ( without applying ) it making curve and finally no adding clocks after apply. On finish i am stock again . Any ideas? So maybe not clicking test?

18. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

If you are hitting Power Limit then voltage frequency curve will not help you, you can try run less voltage 1.05v and smaller OC 2050MHz with which you shouldn't hit power limit

OC Scanner here is how is done by over here by @Hilbert Hagedoorn when he OC the cards in his reviews

1. Set power limiter to max
    2. Find your stable memory frequency (e.g. +1000)
    3. Leave voltage control at default
    4. Hit the OC scanner (takes 10 minutes)
    5. Once finished hit apply in AfterBurner.
    6. Run the Test, and peek at the results.
    7. Enjoy your near perfect automated tweaks.
    Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

19. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    I was doing exactly what you said. But after test it resetting my clocks to default i dont know why.

20. dexterav

dexterav Active Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX1080Ti FE
    some card with similar behavior i return back to seller and new card working without issues...