2080 ti and 52 degrees Celsius

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by The Fitter, Jul 15, 2020.

1. The Fitter

The Fitter Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 ti oc
    Hello to all.
    Kinda weird question here but I have a Gigabyte 2080 ti card which sits at around 30 Celsius when I'm just browsing the net or doing nothing much at all. However if I spend a bit of time gaming when I quit and check the max temp the card has been, it always seems to say 52 Celsius. Never any higher !
    Is it possible that the cards fans kick in at that temp and the temperature holds or could it be something more sinister. It may be nothing to concern myself with but it just seems strange.
    Just for info the games I have been playing lately are Soma, Heavy Rain, and Beyond 2 souls.
    Thanks for having a peek, Dave

2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    Good temps those, iv the same temps under an eiswolf 240mm. On modern warfare.

3. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2070S
    Well that likely means when your GPU usage is at 100% your max temperature is 52 C. Nothing sinister.

4. The Fitter

The Fitter Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 ti oc
    Thanks for the replies. That's cool. pun intended. it's just 52 seemed a little low. People are usually worried about high temps, that's why I think it's a weird thing to be worried about. I guess I just expected a gpu which cost more than my car, to at least give me the impression it was working hard.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Kinda hard to say without knowing your resolution and other settings. If you're playing at 1080p vsync at 60 FPS that would not be abnormal as you'd be barely stressing the GPU. If that is your temp at 4K with max settings, then that does see kinda low.

6. The Fitter

The Fitter Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 ti oc
    Yeah 1080p. I do need a new monitor. In my defence I built this pc as a VR machine, but after breaking one of my vive wands I ordered the Index as a replacement\upgrade. Pc built whilst awaiting delivery. 16 weeks later still no VR.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  7. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    Sounds about right, but also depends on which model/cooler you have. Even at 3840x2160 fully stressed my Gigabyte Aorus 2080 Ti Xtreme Waterforce 11G hardly ever reaches 55°C running around 2100MHz+. It'll usually around 50-53°C during maxed out "4K" gaming.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    1080p barely stresses a modern GPU. I recently got a new 1440p monitor, usage and temps went up a lot! My average temp is now around 75 degrees celcius (when gaming) but that's perfectly acceptable.

9. The Fitter

The Fitter Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 ti oc
    Cheers people. Like I said I built this for VR games so wanted a powerful setup. I was working and desktop gaming on a separate older machine. Then I decided to out the other pc and just use the one for everything, so a new monitor is on the wish list. Hopefully then I will start to see the benefit of such an expensive card. Just got to convince the good lady wife that a new monitor is not just another waste of hard earned cash.

10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Hehe, Trust me man, a new monitor is a very wise investment especially with your GPU. Whatever you buy just make sure you get a nice display port cable to go with it.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Games you mentioned at 1080p perhaps don't even make your GPU go to max. power state, hence low and stable temps.

What model is your card?

Try running a more demanding game with Vsync off or a benchmark like 3DMark and check max temps.
    If it still reports 52 C max always then I'd suspect temp reading is not reliable.

Not that sub 60 temps aren't realistic but there should be at least some variation to peak temperature.

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    In your temp monitoring software, set it to display current temperature, instead of Tj-max.

13. The Fitter

The Fitter Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 ti oc
    Card is a Gigabyte RTX 2080 TI Gaming OC.
    The temp monitoring is current, but if you click on the temp it shows a min and max graph.
    Nice idea I shall run fur mark and see what happens.

14. The Fitter

The Fitter Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 ti oc
    So I ran FurMark for around 11 mins on 1080p 8xMSAA and the card got to 73 C max so that solves that then.
    This morning I played Detroit Become Human for around an hour and temp, yep, 52 C.
    Need that new monitor so I can work this bugger harder. Or maybe the index could hurry up and get sent.

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    1080p will probably make the 2080Ti fall asleep lol :D

I have a 1080Ti using an NZXT G12 and a 140mm AIO and it sits around 27-31C idle/browing/watching movies/etc and around 48-55C gaming @ 1440p but it depends on the game for instance if I play a GPU heavy game like Metro Exodus then temps can hit 58-60C and I get on High settings 70-120fps but if I lock the fps to 60fps 1440p then the temps drop to around 55C. There are a lot of factors to account for, ambient temps are also a factor. I have my PC in quite a small room and during the summer months the ambient temp can get quite high in here and therefore my temps rise.

Just slap on 4K using DSR and 8XAA in a benchmark or game and see what your temps are then lol :p

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my gpu 1070ti fan dont really kick in at 1080p less it game pushing 99% load anything under 70% load at 1080p the gpu say at around 55c and seeing I game @ 60fps and lock everything behind vsync most game dont push the card much, if you pushing 1080p @ 60 fps and the game isnt demanding it normal temps if pushing 1080p with framerates uncaped it gona get hotter goes same for higher resolution @ 60 fps or uncapped fps.

If i run Folding on my gpu and even if I cut power limit to 50% the gpu is at 99% load and the temps are pushing past 70c