2018 no good games?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TR2N, Jun 13, 2018.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    There's good indie games. Of course most lack the production values, but there's still some really well done ones where the lack of budget is offset by art style.

What I really would like more of though are "AA" games. The most recent example is Kingdom Come Deliverance. Unfortunately, once a studio makes some good AA games, they usually get bought out by a "AAA" corporation. (And then shut down :p See Dead Space.)

I'd take a new good AA game over the usual generic AAA game any day of the week.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    ramthegamer and StewieTech like this.
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I see this more with F2P games than I do indie games.

ramthegamer likes this.
  3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Personally, the attention should go into the gameplay first.
    There are tons of amazing looking games, that are crap to play. I'll take a slightly dated looking game... that's a blast to play over something gorgeous and tedious any day.

And, you're making a rather stunted assumption.
    Just because a game is from a small or "indie" studio, doesn't mean it's lacking in one aspect or another. And, again, the year in which a game is released doesn't have some magical quantifying stigma about how it's visuals should look or be rated.

4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i m just saying it can be a turn off for me if animations and graphics look dated, that s me..

Shataan and Dragam1337 like this.

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    dragon quest xi is really good, first few hours are kinda meh, but once it gets rolling i have a hard time quitting.

Nijohc likes this.
  6. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    PC gaming isn't dead.. It used to be the priority, then consoles started coming out. They initially developed games for the PC and ported them to console. Then they got the brilliant idea of porting from console to PC... That is the only issue. PC gaming is never going to die, its just not going to be at the forefront.

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Watched this vid on youtube comparing far cry 2 and far cry 5

While Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 5 are different setup, you can see how probably much less time being spent on development of the game and more on marketing and profits.
    The amount of details in games are fading. Gamers just do what games tells them to do, which fits perfectly for casual players and console owners.

For majority of the gamers, there are always good games and 2018 is no different.
    However, when we see battle royal being a major cash cow and even EA forcing Dice to make a game around it, things get in perceptive.
    Either I am getting too old to catch up with new trends, or publishers just jump on whatever train that leads them to profits.

Majority of voices dislike the route BF5 took, yet it with cosmetics and character customization (I think it will happen), BF5 will make more profit than all battlefield series together.
    So while people (including me) getting triggered with political correctness, kids, casual players and console owners with throw money at EA to get a chance to get a model of a girl with mechanical arm (or perhaps mechanical arm is different item...).

Instead of passion to create good games, I see forced hands to meet deadlines and maximize profits. And this doesn't set a good standard. I am just sad.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  8. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD

Very true.
    Even Shadow of the tomb raider has less grass foliage than Rise of the tomb raider.
    A worrying trend for gamers of old...

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Shadow of the tomb raider is worse in most ways compared to rise of the tomb raider imo.

I still get eyegasm from the super high asset quality in rise of the tomb raider - the same can't be said about shadow of the tomb raider, which only looks good, when the lighting is spot on.

10. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    i find graphics \ animations to be important, but for me its not what makes the big difference.

for example i can re-play the mass effect series with the outdated gameplay\graphics cause the
    story\atmosphere\music overcome everything else. the production overall is so top notch that it makes the clunky
    combat and graphics far less important for me.

i also changed my mind a bit about 2018. as we are getting close to the last months of this year i can
    honestly say that this year was meh. i think PC gaming is alive and kicking but this year was..
    a bit dry compared to an average year im used to.

2019 looks very promising. 2020 and beyond looks even more ( Starfield\ES6).

have a good weekend !

ramthegamer likes this.

11. baublys

baublys Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570
    NOT TRUE.
    in my opinion, Detroit:become human is really a great game. I love its graphics and story.
    I guess it depens on what games you like to play.

12. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    The GOTY is only 2 weeks away guys. We've been waiting 8 bloody years for this!

lucidus and ramthegamer like this.
  13. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    waiting for PC..though may or may not be for PC after all. Damn consol-ish marketing..

14. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    It's an (near) EOL console title release. If there even is a pc version it sure as hell won't be coming out during this premium sale window for the console release. 6 months, best case, never worst, 2 years alongside the re-release for the the new consoles being the most likely scenario based on past practices.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  15. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Yeah, most likely.

16. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Whilst it is sad to see that some ideas are removed...I think there's another video which demonstrates that 5 is more advanced than 2 in other areas. But I get the point, it would be great if they didn't remove things from the game, a more interactive environment is better at creating the illusion of being there, these days a lot of games become more arcade-y again.

ramthegamer likes this.
  17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, people only want to look at one side of the argument because they think it supports their feelings that the "new" games are crap.
    But, ignore any other improvements and fixes the series has taken on.

Videos like that are almost always horribly one sided and flawed.

18. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    FC2 certainly had good sides, but most of all it was horrible how checkpoints were so quickly repopulated...I hate games without a memory of what has been done. And of course the constant travels back and forth made it a rather dull affair. I read an article which said that FC2 was a difficult beast to run, but that wasn't my experience at all. Crysis 1 was the only one sluggish going under 30fps but it wasn't the horrid affair of early D3D titles which had very uneven framerates.
    FC5 is starting to make the whole concept rather stale. I still can't buy into the idea of being kidnapped whilst flying all alone high up in the sky...

cerebus23 likes this.
  19. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    I was thinking of upgrading the PC this year. But with no good games and prices of PC parts lately. Might as well wait another 2 years.

20. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I know how you feel. The racing scene imploded in 2018 with ~15 new games, but only 1 game was able to stand out from the generic (or "arcade") ones.