2017 Game Developers Conference - Is DirectX 12 Worth the Trouble?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by pharma, Feb 28, 2017.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    He really shouldn't as this video is pure BS.

2. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Then make a better video yourself and link it here, otherwise the only BS is your post.

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Why would I make any videos instead of just saying that the guy doesn't know what he's talking about? This is not how it works, sorry.

4. jiminycricket

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    All ears if you know what you're talking about. Or maybe there's a picture of you in the dictionary under c-o-n-t-r-a-r-i-a-n. :funny:

5. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    But on mid-range or old CPUs D3D12 and Vulkan are really welcomed.
    Do not ignore the control of the command buffer queues is a big win in VR and multi-GPU too. The last update of Windows 10 added a "standard" way (across Windows APIs) to control the latency of the command buffer queues (AMD introduced the last year a proprietary extension named "quick response queue").
    Finally, even on high-end CPUs, the possibility to directly have a true multi-threaded rendering engine simplify the job of both game developer and driver maintainer too.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Many people have already posted about this in great length.

Never believe anything in a video, it's pretty much aimed at people too lazy to read and is always condensed/dumbed down and very often the end result is a twisted or misinterpreted version of the truth.

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Somehow I don't feel like explaining anything to you specifically. Maybe you should check that dictionary of yours for the reason.

8. jiminycricket

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    BS indeed. Just like the last time you were asked to elaborate in this thread, that was all you had: your feeling. LMAO!

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The fact that you don't know anything means only that you don't know anything and nothing more. Use that dictionary, you may learn something.

10. jiminycricket

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I don't know anything? Who are you exactly? That's what I thought.

11. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    Was aware of this as soon as I tested ASYNC option w/ 1070 SLI in Timespy. I got 0 gains in SLI. Yet single cards gain some. Didn't really care though since it's barely used.

12. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    The Scorpio is an interesting product. It doesn't force devs to use DX12, but, if devs want to get the most out of it, then, they will have to make their games DX12 on it. This could actually benefit PC gamers, especially those with Vega, AMD etc as more (similar) features will be used. Providing devs actually choose to move over to the Scorpio and do the specific work required. The draw-back is this could take some time as the PS4 is the biggest market right now and any 3rd party dev would be stupid to not consider the PS4 market for any games they make.

The problem devs face on PC is alienating large portions (Nvidia) of PC consumers who end-up not buying those Scorpio/AMD optimised ports if they don't perform well on their hardware.

It will be more interesting once we have Scorpio, Vega and Volta released to see how the market reacts and where DX12 stands. I certainly don't think Scorpio is a negative for PC gamers. Some devs have already realised it's easier to develop on PC and then do custom ports to the consoles, so, it could be that the impact on the PC market ends up being negligible.

13. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    When did ms or anybody other then fanbois who dont understand the tech say the gains from dx12 would be " immediate gains" it will take a while before dx12/vulkan really mature, and before game engines really take advantage of them, they have to re-write large portions of the engine to take full/real advantage of low level api's, they have been working on thi thanks to consoles but, its still a work in progress, hero engine is working on dx12 support, at first it wont have alot of the benefits to threading and such that will come with deeper optimization, the good thing is, alot of this work, can benefit dx11/11.x since it would allow them to more easily shift non-rendering threads to other cores, freeing up resources for the rendering thread(some games do this very well, but most...well this is part of why nvidias drivers for dx11 are superior, but amd's are superior for dx12/vulkan/compute work...(i got a good video link worth watching explaining the dif in hardware designs as well as drivers its interesting, each companies approach has its advantages.....)

dx12 and vulkan will become more and more used/supported over the next few years and once they get the process of porting using lowlevel api's it should at least give us better perf with ports....even bad ones...

14. tyler11

tyler11 New Member

GPU:
    8GB GeForce GTX 1070
    Didn't know was out...