200 Megapixel sensor Smarthpone camera in the works, Motorola

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Bigger sensors would impress me. Bigger Mp count? No.

schmidtbag and Loobyluggs like this.
  3. alpha2beta

alpha2beta Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 3080
    Another way to force people into buying more storage.

schmidtbag likes this.
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Biiiiig clearer lenses please otherwise more Mpixels has little worth.

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Bigger MP is good for perhaps...a security camera with a zoom lens on the front?

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Not always the advancement in technology goes into to direction we want.
    However, it is another step to something better.
    The debate is on, bigger sensor with bigger pixel treatment after taking a picture or more megapixels.
    Some will buy it just because or to brag. Or because they don't know better and fall for marketing advertising.

But some will buy it for nefarious purposes.
    I'll give just one example. Taking a picture of someone's fingers could render a plausible silicon skin fingerprint. Anyone remembers the Angela Merkel incident?

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Not if the lense isnt good enough to expose more detail.
    It ends up showing practically the same image with a huge amount more pixels -much larger file size.

Besides, analogue zoom doesnt need an increase in resolution to zoom.
    If its good at the native res, the zoom will be good because that is also at native res.
    These new sensors are so high res the tiny tiny lenses wont allow any more detail, current sensors are already too high res for the lenses

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    And here I was thinking the 104MP phone sensors were stupid...

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I was thinking more along the lines of facial recognition for security purposes...that kinda thing.

10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I suspect 200 mp wide angle camera will be a hit among people that like taking pictures of their shlong to make it look bigger :p ...... Maybe i should do a patent for such filter or something ....hmmm:rolleyes:

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I dont think more resolution will help facial recognition etc, we already have more than enough detail for a smartphone viewing close.
    Image processing is what sucks.

12. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    good news for folks buying +500$ phones, so they can record 1080p video vertically :D

Airbud likes this.
  13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Hmm...y'know I keep thinking about what you wrote and I really do not know why, but I think resolution is more important than sensor size and perhaps you are thinking more about the ability to split the RGBA and get higher contrast to determine image quality...but I'm thinking more about the increase in the ability of software to run facial recognition is more about scanning pixels and determining someone's identity?

No argument on a bigger and better sensor for image quality, but resolution must be the most important factor for security facial recognition software and algorithms. That is done on a CPU, and the better the CPU, the better the result of the software in "Real-Time". If this is fed a higher resolution, it would benefit security cameras, as these are fed directly into the software. As the work is done on CPU, the calculation is based on pixel data, which is a series of number representations of the RGBA channels from the sensor. In other words, with more numbers generates as a better percentile 'match' against a RGBA image database, and, can track multiple faces in a crowd. Surely?

Just my thinking, I guess. More k's of resolution is more important that the ability to determine kelvins, for security cameras.

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    My 10 mega pixel DSLR takes better pictures. Throwing mega pixels at a sensor is just a marketing move.

Mufflore likes this.
  15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Looking too deep isnt key to checking identity unless you get down to DNA level, otherwise you will be looking at sweat formation, dirt and womens makeup (for example) which are useless for this purpose as the possible variations are huge.
    For example, maps for navigation dont show the composition of soil and its formation because this has no value, they show elevation and larger patterns/shapes.
    Similar applies to facial recognition and fingerprint maps.

Also, if the lense isnt vastly improved, increased resolution will do little more than add noise.
    It will not increase detail capture.

ps
    Higher res images require vastly more CPU power and memory (+memory speed) to process.
    The problem with current systems isnt image quality, its programmed recognition algorithms that arent good enough.
    There will inevitably be some constraints due to available processing power but as time goes on that will improve.
    Raising the resolution would be a backward step though.

pps
    Its possible processing of many captured frames of a noisy still subject can pull a bit more resolution from it but the extra processing would be put to better use running an improved algorithm for recognition.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021

16. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    might work using less res in actual settings/pics and use 48MP.
    i know sony (and others) have large sensors with high pc, but sometimes run/use them at less res to gain low light perf.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I've looked into this some more, because it is very interesting as a topic, and I have found there is a general consensus that to improve facial recognition, resolution is key, and the software (being a constantly changing factor) is secondary. Another use for facial recognition/security from a sensor was, much to my surprise, thermal camera sensors - in that they can ID someone based on their thermal fingerprint.

Very cool tech being used - mucho interesante

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Got any links on how increased res helps and improved algorithms wont?

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Do not misunderstand my point; the acceleration of image resolution is better for recognition than the acceleration of facial recognition software, as the latter cannot do its job without the former, and the key component of measurement due to calculation is the resolution of the sensor. That may have been a better way to phrase it.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm trying to understand what you said, it would help to have links to what you read that allowed you to assert your conclusion.
    My fundamental understanding of the issue is in question, I like to be sure of what I think.