2 x Gainward Geforce GTX 580 Phantom 3GB in SLI, 2nd card not detected?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by slimex, Jul 12, 2011.

1. slimex

slimex New Member

GPU:
    2x GTX580 3GB
    Hello,

Yesterday I built my new PC. After installing Windows 7 Enterprise and Installation of my ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Drivers (from CD) and installation of NVIDIA Drivers 275.50 (beta) I opened NVIDIA Control Panel to recognize, that there are no SLI options displayed, as if the second card was not present. In device manager, there was only one card shown.

2 Gainward Phantom GTX 580 3GB are installed to PCIEx16_1 and PCIE16_2 slots, connected with an ASUS SLI bridge on the left "goldfingers". I also tried to swap the cards. Each of them is working correctly at the PCIEx16_1 slot as a single card, but in each combination the second card is not detected. All 3 fans of both cards are turning in all tried combinations.

I also tried to move the sli bridge to the right goldfingers and even used 2 sli bridges. Nothing changed.

Trying to use other PCIE Power Supply Cables did not solve the problem either. I use an Enermax Revolution 85+ with 1020W.

I uninstalled NVIDIA Drivers completely and reinstalled them after reboot 2 times. The problem persists. I also uninstalled Lucid Virtu before my 2nd NVIDIA Driver reinstall attempt. Did not help.

In the UEFI BIOS I did not find any options regarding SLI functionality.

I did not try bios or Mainboard driver upgrades yet, cause I did not have the time.

I would appreciate, if someone has any suggestion, how to fix this.

Greetings

2. Trolle

Trolle Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070
    if you only put 1 card in ur pc but in your 2nd pci-e slot does it recognise the card?
    if not your 2nd pci-e slot is fubar or has some dirt in it

3. slimex

slimex New Member

GPU:
    2x GTX580 3GB
    I did not try this, cause I finally wanted to go to bed at 03:30 to get up at 07:00 in the morning again :wanker:.

But I tried the DVI Port of the second card while card 1 was plugged and there was no signal.

I will try to remove card #1 when I finally get home in the afternoon.

4. capchaos

capchaos Member

GPU:
    quad palit gtx 580 on h20
    does ur board have a pcie jumper that can disable the slot. if so check that

5. slimex

slimex New Member

GPU:
    2x GTX580 3GB
    Unfortunately there is no such jumper.

Tried to place 1 card into the 2nd PCIE Slot without a card in PCIE Slot 1. The screen remained without a signal after bootup. The motherboards manual does not mention a constellation like this. So perhaps this is not an indicator for a broken PCIE slot.

In the meantime I got my Windows updated and updated all drivers.

Then I tried with NVIDIA final driver 275.33. Again, there was no SLI option available.

I really don't know what I should try next. Perhaps installing another older version of nvidias drivers.

6. slimex

slimex New Member

GPU:
    2x GTX580 3GB
    Yesterday I tested changing the 2nd Card with a Gainward Bliss 8800GTX, windows did not recognize this card, too.

No matter which of those was in the 2nd slot, 8800gtx or 580gtx, the first card used 16 lanes (GPU-Z).

I tried putting my PCIEx1 Sound card into the second slot. It was recognized and functioned as it should. This time the 580 in the first slot ran with 8 lanes.

Wrote an Email to Gainward, perhaps they know anything about this problem.

Would be very nice if anyone has further suggestions about what I could try next. I am pretty desperate by now.

7. slimex

slimex New Member

GPU:
    2x GTX580 3GB
    I was really upset realizing that I have to disassemble everything again and to drive 160 km there and back to get replacement from my reseller. I started disassembling. After removing both graphic cards I had a closer look on the PCIEx16_2 slot. Using a magnifier I quickly recognized, that the single pin on the right side of the PCIEx16_3 slot came from downwards, but on the PCIEx16_2 slot it came from upwards. But it is not supposed to. I think that the pin has been bent down during first card installation, because it was not properly mounted in the plastic slot body. I helped myself with a knife and bent it into a position, on which the graphics card would fit and have contact. This wasnt possible without breaking it in half. So i removed the broken part and put in the graphics card while bending the pink in the right position with a needle.

Now it had contact and all functions like it should. 2 GTX 580, each using 8 lanes.

On saturday, I will disassemble the computer again and get a new board, because the solution I made is only very provisionally and it will not be possible to plug cards without the needle workaround.
    I think a PCIEx16 Slot should manage plug-in of a card without getting broke. So for me this is a hardware defect, which came with the board. Of course I will not tell them, what I have done to provisionally fix this.

The picture shows the pin in bent down state, as I found it. I know, this is not zoomed in well, but if you look close, you might see the pin. its the second one from the right.

So till the weekend I have a solution and very very impressive SLI performance, but unfortunately, a very hot and loud combination, which I have to tweak a bit when all building work is done.
    Perhaps I should get some new fans replacing the 200mm ones of my HAF X tower. The built-in ones only turn with 700 rpm, I need more airflow in there.

[​IMG]

8. Trolle

Trolle Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070
    hah i knew i was right with the 2nd pci-e slot
    glad you sorted it out :)

9. slimex

slimex New Member

GPU:
    2x GTX580 3GB
    Yesterday I went to my reseller (alternate.de). They gave me a new board. At home I built up my pc again. Then I realized, that my Corsair H80 CPU liquid cooler did no more spin up the fans connected to it. So this is the next component to make use of the guarantee.

10. phobus666

phobus666 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ SM P2450h
    Ohhhh bad luck, bad luck ....