2 versions of Nurien giving me 2 very different results

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mattwong2120, Aug 13, 2008.

1. mattwong2120

mattwong2120 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra
    ok, continuing from my last post re the 8800 ultra, i decided to plug in my 8800 GT again, OC it a bit and what do u know... got very similar results
    but that's not my main concern although input in this problem is VERY appreciated

E2180 3.2Ghz, 2Gb RAM CL4, 8800GT @720MHz
    But this is not my main concern...
    i found out that there are 2 versions of Nurien
    one is this one, which i downloaded to rest out Physx b4 the official release
    now THIS ONE gives me a reading of 52FPS average, which is really quite reasonable for a 8800GT i would say

then i dloaded the official one from nVidia, the one that came with the new drivers
    interestingly, the nvidia one gave me a reading of only 32FPS average

the test is done using the same driver 177.83, then repeated with 177.79
    result is same as above....

i DO infact notice there is a slight difference in the 2 demos, eg the one from nvidia is shorter. and the file size is bigger, but both are 0.7Alpha version

so gurus, any ideas?

2. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1050Ti OC
    I can confirm that... had the same experience!

3. scratch42069

scratch42069 Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC 512MB
    Yeah I confirmed it yesterday in the Nurien thread. http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2805118&postcount=43 (Reading other threads reduces posting 50 million of the same topic :))On NZone's FTP there was a version we had before the Power Pack was released and it weighed in at 507MB. Most of the scores in the Nurien thread's first page came from that version. I scored much better frames using that particular version with both 177.79 and 177.83. Then they released the Power Pack with a smaller version of Nurien and we all got a drop in performance.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  4. Hanky Man

Hanky Man Member

GPU:
    MSI HD6950
    Performance might be better but I see glitches in it like legs goin trough the cloth so I guess its not calculated very precise in it. They may have just tweaked the config.

5. HarryRag

HarryRag Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    notices that also

6. Rubysoul

Rubysoul Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    Nurien with the minor poly problems: 31.76/46.9/25.18
    Nurien on NVidia's site now: 15.941/47.109/10.687

Definitely something not cool going on here. Fixing some pass through polys shouldn't kill FPS that bad.

7. allup

allup Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X SLi Asus 7870 V2 ROG
    Hey matt not to bug but, i went to the site you posted and my browser went crazy. It is an attack site as reported by Google and AVG just to let everyone know.
    Sorry

8. Rubysoul

Rubysoul Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    The one that is not in NVidia's pack is FAR better performing, being WAY more fluid especially in the tiny cut scenes like the quick flash to her legs where NVidia's copy stumbles on my system. A few minor tweaks got rid of 95% of the polygon problems (i.e. legs blipping through the skirts for a frame). Here's the tweak (which you can modify yourself to your own tastes). Simply add these parameters to the end of your shortcut:

-RESx=1024 -ResY=768 -AllowD3D10=True -EnableHighPolyChars=True -MaxAnisotropy=16 -MaxMultisamples=1 -LensFlares=True -MotionBlur=True -Bloom=True -QualityBloom=True -DetailMode=4 -UseVsync=True

BTW, if you didn't know, Nurien uses the Unreal Engine 3.