2 Velociraptor 160gb Raid 0

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xXMrMeathooksXx, Aug 6, 2011.

1. xXMrMeathooksXx

xXMrMeathooksXx Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 295's Quad sli
    Hello everyone.

Im looking to add two Velociraptor Harddrives to my PC for gaming. I was wondering how to go about this as I have a 1tb harddrive as the main drive currently. Im looking for quicker load times. Should I just stripe them in raid 0?

Also,can I just plug them in and format them as new hardware? I have NO IDEA... My last setup in raid 0 was done a long time ago and was easy because it was a fresh build. Im just unsure if it can be done without wiping the main drive.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!

P.S No SSD's right now :peeleft: ,little rich for my blood at the moment lol.

2. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    What you would do is install the 2 raptors then go into the Intel RAID manager by pressing Ctrl+I and setup RAID0 stripe volume on the two raptors. Then use a program like Acronis to clone over from the single HDD to the RAID array. Acronis guarantee a successful cross platform clone, but you must install your storage controller driver prior to doing the clone.

Do you have 2 velociraptors is this why you want to do this? If you don't already have them then 2 raptors is just as expensive as an SSD and you get much greater performance from an SSD.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    SSD's a little rich for your blood? Yet you have brought 2 velociraptor drives which are NOT cheap in their own right. You could of brought a single SATA3 SSD, which would be backwards compatible with SATA2 and future proof you when you get SATA3 in the future. You would probably see no difference in RAID raptors compared to a single fast SSD for the same or lower price. The OCZ Vertex 3 drives have ridiculous speeds on its own and no need to defrag and no spin up times and lower power consumption. Also, if you don't have SATA3 now when you do get SATA3 you could get a second drive for RAID0 SATA3 drives :)

Personally I don't see the need for SSD for a games drive though, SSD is perfect for OS drive as they degrade after time with write performance. I just use a single 1TB F3 drive for games and have great speed and load times.

That is just my two cents.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    When you make a RAID set, the drives are wiped clean.
    You will need to backup your data before you start.

5. xXMrMeathooksXx

GPU:
    Ok,forgot to mention. I bought them for 42 dollars each...great deal for 320gb capacity + speed. Im not familiar with Acronis? So,do I install it to my main drive,plug the raptors in then raid 0 with the program?? Mufflore said I need to back up my data,the raptors are clean,dont I just stripe them and copy over?

Also,can I use my 1TB harddrive for random stuff and as a boot drive with the OS on it? I just want to put Steam,benchmarks and games on the raptors really.. Thanks for the help!

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Yeah I misread, you have no data to backup.
    Yes, you can keep your 1TB drive as boot and use the RAID array for fast data storage.

7. xXMrMeathooksXx

GPU:
    Awesome,should be easy then once acronis is installed? 1tb should be enough for my music etc.. Thanks for the help.

8. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Acronis is cloning software. The reason to use it is if you don't want to reinstall Windows.

If you don't care then just install fresh to the RAID0 after you create it.

9. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    if not cause you got them for DIRT cheap i would have said to go for the caviar blacks or samsungs greater capacity almost identical performance.