2 OS's, 1 Program Files Folder!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by chris_heyward, Feb 16, 2009.

1. chris_heyward

chris_heyward Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTS450 SC
    Hi guys. I am messing around with the new Windows 7 and wanted to know if it is possible on a dual-boot machine, for both OS's to use the same program files folder to save space?

I have a game that uses roughly 13gb and want it installed on a seperate partition dedicated to program files only and then both OS's use the same files on that partition.

CAN IT BE DONE??

Please help!!

Thanks

2. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Yes just use custom install and point to the partition with the program folder.

3. MrN

MrN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT
    As it has been pointed out, during install, use custom settings and select a partition other than the OS partition.

Since you are talking about a game, you may need to take care of the "saved games" folder as well.
    You may play the game for a while and then switch the OS and start the game and see that you have to start from the beginning!

Not all games save to the same location. So, it depends on what game it is.

All you need is to create a symbolic link and then both OS will see the same saved games folder.

4. chris_heyward

chris_heyward Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTS450 SC
    Ok thank you. Reverted back to XP because my game didnt run well and Windows 7 got a bit iffy with MagicISO verifying UIF files.