2 Million Ultra HD Monitors will ship 2014

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thanks to falling production costs leading to declines in average selling prices (ASPs), shipments of ultra-high-definition (UHD) 4K desktop monitor displays are expected to increase steadily. Accordi...

2 Million Ultra HD Monitors will ship 2014

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Good to hear. Looking forward to price drops. :)

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Why, other than PC gaming and Blu-ray, im still waiting for additional 1080p content to be standard.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    When I can find a G-Sync enabled 144Hz 4k monitor with a 1ms GTG for under $500, I'll get it. Until then, I'll stick with what I got.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I see the tech getting better, but the things we use them for eg gaming isnt keeping up or is always way ahead. I find myself not actually giving a toss as its all so messy and disjointed.

Its like it as if they're releasing the PSX along side 1080p LCDs screens, kinda pointless if the content isnt on par.

6. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Wish i could say one of those 2mil would be mine.

7. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    I don't agree the number rapidly increased because the LCD monitors may have motion blur issue...

But I want OLED 4k monitor or Laser* monitor/TV 4k (Crystal LED** 4k monitor?) ;)

* - Laser is for projector
    ** - new technology invented by Sony. :)

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think I'll be sticking with 1080p monitors for a long time as I'm not comfortable with huge monitors and perhaps more importantly, I cba upgrading my GPU often due to the high res :p

9. ClexRex

ClexRex Guest

GPU:
    780 Classified / R9 290
    1440p is the sweet spot....1440p is already a nice bump over 1080p...why the 4k talk...1440p isn't even standard yet 4k is a joke and years++ away for most panels to even be considered game ready....people need to focus on moving up to 1440p etc not from 1080 to 4k.

1440p is going to be the best option for a long time...until software side pciks up etc...and companys start releasing panels that are cost effective like the Korean panels....

makes me laugh at people who even think they will be gaming 4k in the next 2-3 years lolllllllll :bang:

10. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Because they are awesome for work, lots of screen estate is good.

11. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    My words.. Unfortunately I think we will be waiting for a long long time to get there. Am afraid that my phone is gonna be 8K by the time I will buy a 4K monitor :) not that I would need anything more than a 1080p on 5 inches of space.but you know numbers sell..:puke2:

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Phones will most likely stop at 4K. The human eye can only discern about 50PPD which most LCD's are already at (1080p @ 5 Inche screen @ 1' distance from eye). The problem comes with Pentile Matrix AMOLED displays which feature certain pixel arrangements at half of an LCD's value. So a company like Samsung needs to have nearly double the resolution as a competitor to have the same overall sharpness. This doubles for them as a selling point as most customers don't know that. They can say their 5" screen is 4K despite the fact that they have a similar horizontal PPD in green/blue pixels (depending on the layout) as a standard 1080p LCD device.

The thing about desktop displays is that they aren't even really close to this. Sitting at 2' from a 24" desktop monitor puts you at a PPD of 21.63. Moving to 1440p brings you up to 28.84, which is nice but still far less then the ~50PPD max. 4KUHD brings you to 43.25 which is still shy of the ~50 but at this point the diminishing returns probably yields little benefit.

So yeah, 4K is definitely necessary and honestly I'd rather see them jump immediately to it then pushing a bunch of other standards in between. Yeah, obviously the tech isnt there to push this stuff for gaming, but eventually it will be and I'd rather the displays to be ready beforehand then having to play catch up after we get the processing power.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    1440p @120Hz is more than enough for my eyes and my GPU's at the moment!

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20

+1 Until 4k hits 120hz i will not be going back to the Slideshow that is 60hz or even the Ultimate slideshow which is 30hz. I understand that all 4k monitors are 30hz atm? 60 wouldnt be so bad tbh but 30....MEH:)

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nah the ASUS is 60Hz but I think only DisplayPort 1.3 supports 60Hz @ 4K, HMDI 2.0 will support it but the current 1.4 doesn't. And even then, HDMI 2.0 won't support 4K @ 120hz unless you run it at 8bit and compress it, since 2.0 is using packet based transmissions.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

16. negachampa

negachampa Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Ti SLI
    After having the Oculus dev kit for about 2 weeks now. It seems really crazy to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a 4K monitor when VR is clearly where gaming is going in the future. I am so blown away by VR. It is crazy good and i am only using the crappy low res dev kit. The consumer version will be even better, much better.

I have been gaming on a 30" 1600p monitor for the last 2 years and now that i have a OR, it is hard to game on it any more. The low res OR dev kits offers a much more enjoyable experience.

Anyways i could ramble on for ever about VR and how it is going to change not only games but entertainment in general.

what the need to be making is a 4k g-sync VR panel. A real brain scrambler !!

17. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    but vr isnt for everyone.

I have glasses and wearing anything around them is not comfortable.

and also someone could come into the room stand right by you and you wouldn't even now it. or even rob you.

18. mjw

mjw Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    negachampa has an Occulus Rift dev kit everyone!!111!!11!one

19. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    +1

Also, I'd like to recommend a series of interviews with Bill Hill (a guy behind screen-optimized fonts, font hinting, ClearType, multi-column reading layout for PCs, and many more; unfortunately R.I.P). He had really valuable opinions about using computers for reading, high dpi, etc.

Here are links to Channel 9:
    Microsoft Channel 9 - Bill Hill
    I'd especially recommend "The Future of Reading" and "Homo Sapiens 1.0" and 2.0. After watching these, you'll really start to ask why do most of us still use low-res screens and read super-long columns on web sites.

20. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Considering there are around 8 billion people and I would think at least a billion people with computer monitors/tv's etc. 2 million is a joke of sales numbers and I think it's safe to say it will be years before hd is anywhere near normality.