2 display on one gtx480 ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ToyTen, Oct 10, 2010.

1. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Impossible to put 2 monitors on one gtx480 !

Hi there, i am not able to have 2 display screens on that gtx480. Is that normal ? many drivers tested from 197.75(whql) till 260.78(quadro)
    OS= Win7 64 ultimate.

I really wish this was possible but i can't apparently, thanks for any input of yours.

Cheers

Edit: With a 5870 as one and only card installed i can do it. nothing to say to help with this ? please

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  2. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX465 1Gb Dual Fan
    I use two displays all the time. You certainly can have two active displays using dualview with only one card. Have you enabled this in the Nvidia driver settings?

3. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    when i try to detect displays it doesn't find my other screen while it is a Samsung as the main one...
    not luckier via windows itself. (Seven 64). Now i am running the 260.89b

4. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    What are the inputes on the card that you have, and which ones of those inpute's are being used?

5. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    This is my only solutuion at this point and i cant have those 2 samsungs on the gtx480... ports used are DVI only, i dont have no hdmi ready display.

[​IMG]

6. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    I would prefer not to plug that gt220 and just enjoy 2 displays on one card only...

even if i switch my displays between the 2 DVI ports from my card it doesn't help.

I hope that i haven't a broken dvi port :3eyes:

No one else has any idea please, i say it again, i can't detect the second display neither in NCP nor in windows itself. Thans already Zooze

7. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti 2055/16.2Ghz
    This thread is confusing but, why again can you not use 2 monitors? why would you use one on your physx card anyways? a GTX 480 is perfectly capable of handling 2 monitors on 1 card. Did you extend your desktop to the other monitor in the windows control panel?

8. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    i did extend my dekstop to the other and it remains black, while my mouse can go there (no doubt).

I think-and hope- there's a little something i miss somehow, actually it's very strange that i can extend the dekstop to the other monitor and it to remain off...

Switching my 22" with the 24" on the 2 display ports of that card doesn't work... and i don't have no HDMI to test that. I also tried to set my 24" monitor at 1680*1050, native res of the second. it doesn't make it neither.

This is why i put my 2nd monitor on the PhysX card atm

So much hours trying, hopefully it will work...

One last important thing:
    sometimes my second monitor is detected as an analogic one. I can't find a way to modify that.

Thx already and my apologises for the confusion of my thread

9. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    The fact that it works via your physx card but not on the 480 leads me to believe that one of your DVI ports on the 480 is borked.

Perhaps try running with one monitor and switching between the 480's DVI ports to confirm this.

10. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    That doesn't work then.

The technician of the shop where the card comes from says that when only one monitor is pluged it wont work if plugged on the second DVI port... i dont think hes correct, i don't know simply... Ultimately i'll bring it to them and cross my fingers on a happy end

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    You can plug a single monitor into either DVI port on the card and it will work. So if it doesn't then it sounds like the card is faulty.

12. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Phouahh !! It's always better to know what happens

okay thx

13. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Correct you can use either DVI port for a single monitor. I would guess the second DVI port is faulty as stated by above posts.

I would return the card.

Zoozer

14. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    So, the card is at the shop and i wanted to know, because i haven't a single idea about that, if Sparkle or Twintech are good brands to replace my Asus gtx480.
    They can't tell me what brand they will get next so i need to know better about:
    -VRM's,
    -propension to clocking(mine does 833Mhz at stock voltage/cooling and needs 1110mV to pass M2033 's benchmark @ 881Mhz)
    -the service in case of trouble

Thx so far guys