2.1 project

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by kgb_m3, Dec 22, 2009.

1. kgb_m3

kgb_m3 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 EVGA 260gtx 216 SSC SLi
    With my new build and a recent sound card upgrade I've become somewhat addicted to proper sound. I currently have a pretty nice home theater in the same room my pc sits so I'm not looking for anything too big, too loud, etc.. I've been using Logitech 2.1 z-2300 for a couple of years now and although they sound best out of any computer speakers that I've heard, I feel the need to upgrade.

Since the sub has Left and Right amplified speaker outputs, I would like to about keep it and only replace the satellites. Came across a fairly new 2 sets of MB Quart car speakers in the garage and figured I could build something custom with these:

[​IMG]

I quickly soldered some speaker wire to a spare RCA male plug, I then wired the dual voice coil MB Quarts in series to match the impedance on the output to 8ohms and plugged those into the Logitech subwoofer outputs and had some sound. Although they sounded good even just sitting on the table, being car speakers and having the tweeter positioned the way it sits, sound was going all sorts of wrong directions. I would also have to build a custom enclosure to accommodate those that can take up too much time, but be fun at the same time.

I'm now contemplating on possibly picking a set of M-Audio up and keeping the logitech sub, turning the gain all the way down on the Left and Right channels, letting the built in amps of these take over

[​IMG]

Or my last option would be to build a small amp (have most parts handy), take the output of the sub, feed it into the custom built amp input and power a regular set of Polk Audio bookshelf speakers, while still keeping the Logitech sub functioning.

What do you guys think would be my best route? Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

2. angershark

angershark Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Those MB Quarts would probably require a fairly large enclosure to sound good, car speakers are usually meant to be installed in doors and rear package trays where there's a large air volume.

I don't see why one couldn't run a set of high quality 5.25 or 6.5" 2 way bookshelf's off the Logitech amp as a temporary setup, most bookshelf's don't require huge amounts of power to play loud. Then you could easily upgrade the amp and sub later on.

While that might work any distortion and noise from the Logitech amp will be amplified by the speakers built in amp. Keeping components separate is the way to go IMO.

Since you thought about building enclosures for those car speakers have you considered a DIY speaker kit? There's many good designs out there, even modestly priced kits can out perform store bought junk, and they're fun to build too.

3. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    id love to see more pic with more details m8...i like it!!!!!!!!!!

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I would go for the monitors you posted and possibly work on the others as a project.
    You can use them and the Logitech subwoofer for bass reinforcment.

for the others, you would need to get speaker modeling software or atleast a book to give you allt he equations you would need for building proper enclosures etc...there is alot of math and other considerations involved in proper speaker building.

5. kgb_m3

kgb_m3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Here's what I decided to do:

MB Quarts are going into my daily driver to replace factory junk, not going to bother with those in the house.

Since returning my headset to newegg, having 89$ credit payed for a set of Polk Audio Monitor 30 bookshelf speakers that I'm planning on using. Good deal btw if anyone is interested http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290094 This is done deal with speakers. So I got 2 polks and one logitech sub to work with. I'll see how they sound and all but I have a feeling they won't sound up to their potential. 40w rms is way underpowering 100w rms speaker.

Since I'm in electronics and have another week off school, I was thinking about building 2 of these amps http://electronics-diy.com/electronic_schematic.php?id=440 1 for each speaker, one for each channel. Then taking the output from L out of the sub to one amp and from amp to Left speaker, then same thing for R.

Like mentioned above whatever noise logitech amp puts out will feed into whatever amps I put together to increase the power. Another idea was to open the sub and upgrade the existing logitech amp or build one in the place of it. Apparently there is no circuit schematic for the logitech amp and no way to access it without taking a saw to the enclosure.

My last thing would be to upgrade the actual sub driver, throw out the 8" logitech driver and replace with this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/RE-AUDIO-RE-R...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261478018&sr=8-1

Any ideas guys? And I'll be sure to post my build progress on whatever I decide to do...

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Who said you have to drive the Polks using the Logitech amplifier?
    Just get a seperate amplifier for the two stereo speakers and use the logitech amp for the sub. You can drive this amplifier from the soundcard NOT form teh amp in teh logitechs.

7. kgb_m3

kgb_m3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Are you familiar how the z-2300 work? They have a control module, that takes up the regular green 3.5mm jack out of my sound card. Then from the control module it plugs into the sub, internal logitech amp powers L and R outputs that would go to the Polks. How would I run my own separate amp to power Polks and still have the sub functioning using the built in amp?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009