1usmus Custom Power Plan for Ryzen 3000 Download

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
    It’s F12f now for the Xtreme actually. ;)

Guru3Dmember likes this.
  2. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    [​IMG]

Not sure what's different for my region in the US maybe?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  3. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
  4. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @all
    2004 runs better with amd balanced (vs 1usmus) as it clocks lower/higher, to numbers i have never seen before (below 3.6 on idle and 4.4 when gaming, which i never got before).
    seem to be smoother in clock changes as well, helping minimal with idle temps, at least not being as twitchy as before e.g. boosting to 4.4 just because i moved the mouse an inch.
    havent seen high perf (amd) being better for games/real use, might only help benches.

not sure why ppl think C&Q is the same as P states.
    one handles clock/voltage, the other sleep states.

@K.S.
    leave psu idle to auto? why? please explain.
    there are only 2 options (low and typical), so even if someone had no clue and would chose randomly, its 50:50 that they chose the right one.
    Auto cant do anything but chose between those two, so it HAS to be one of them thats correct/usable (not just auto).
    and as long as i dont see why not, i go with the info of ppl like 1usmus that can come up with a custom power plan, and obviously know a bit about those things.

@DeskStar
    except for the cold boot/sudden reboot issues ppl have, incl me, on 2-300$ boards.
    who cares if you have even the BEST vrm/power design, when your machine keeps doing sudden reboots on low load :rolleyes:
    and running everything else on a different board, doesnt have those issues,
    and Gb "...there is no issue.." while lots of ppl have trouble with their (dual bios) boards.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Guru3Dmember likes this.

5. Glasofruix

Glasofruix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    I'm a tad confused, which power plan and what bios settings should we use now? I've been running with 1usmus power plan since i've got my rig and it was fine(ish) (sometimes the fans go vrrrr without reason but that's it).

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    1usmus is fine, i just prefer amd balanced if running 1909 or newer,
    especially when using bios/driver released this year.

7. MestasDeejay

MestasDeejay New Member

GPU:
    2080ti
    4.4 gaME mode on or off?

8. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    i dont run anything "game" related when it comes to win itself, all turned off.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  9. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
  10. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    @fry178

Those issues seem like a big deal. Never had an issue on my board other than some weird ass bug if I change any voltage regarding the CPU at all my core voltage goes to Auto.

Even though it blatantly says 1.278v or whatever I have it set at. Reboot and system sounds like a rocket taking off because of voltage getting into the 1.5v of stock/auto territory. Isn't that a dangerous as hell high stock setting!?! Because I thought these were "okay" in the 1.35-1.4V area and the 1.5V would almost ensure a short life span...

Written Gigabyte numerous times in conjunction with their responses to only have them ask for a video posted to YouTube or other sharing site.

If I change anything like my CPU LLC my core voltage goes stock!! I have to post and change my core voltage and post again.

This shite happens on both of my Aorus Xtreme boards on my 570 and tRX40!

Not sure what this entails for me at all. I'm all hardware and no software unfortunately on my end. Working on changing that currently at the moment.

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @DeskStar
    lets say i had less problems fixing a rig that was in a flooded basement and mud covering parts.
    i understand issue/probs with new stuff (ryzen/x570), but this is an issue for virtually 20y (after introducing dual bios),
    that other brands dont have.
    it says a lot when you NEED to install a beta bios, just so you DONT have major issues.

funny thing is i limited all my parts to non-GB brands in the last couple of years (MB always one model down in features compared to others, \
    GPUs getting cheaper components after Rev 1.0 was reviewed), but what i originally wanted was out of stock, and i got the Ultra offered for 200$.

so far, using 2004 build, latest beta bios, latest chipset driver, seems to have improved stuff, but had already remove the cmos battery once,
    (rig was acting like no input power), which means taking out the loop so i can remove the gpu (vertically mounted) to get to it.
    if boards get 3 strikes, it will fly out the window..

DeskStar likes this.
  12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Voltage on auto can fluctuate up to 1.5v and is intended, low current and varying degrees of activity and core load although when doing it manually or per-CCX then I think the safe voltage level is considered around 1.25v and above that you get into risks about degradation and other problems though this is then mixed with load line calibration and vdroop plus AMD's take on SOC voltage and the voltage fed into the infinity fabric and scaling together with VRAM and also how different motherboard vendors and their hardware handle settings.

I can see from the bios on the Aorus Master (F12G was it?) here that it likes to shoot up high and then drop down and I can see from the OS although not as in-depth without Ryzen Master or similar that it likes to keep the CPU at a higher active working level and tends to hit 4.2 Ghz frequently though overall voltage and activity and the amount of current used still has it as completely as intended by AMD and it's considered safe though it is understandable that seeing the CPU shoot into 1.4 to 1.5v even temporarily can look odd for how this is intended to work. :)

SATA reliability and some other issues plus what AMD themselves corrected in 1.0.0.5 as this is still 1.0.0.4 AGESA based (For now.) but some of these seem to be more on Gigabyte than overall for the X500 series of motherboards and their AMD hardware like the chipset or CPU's from Ryzen 3000 although the hardware has some interesting ways it is set up like PCI-E and what it can actually do plus how it splits and scales as more stuff is plugged in.

DeskStar likes this.
  13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    But yeah the CPU fan can also ramp up a bit as can the PCH fan for these burst of activity and even a more silent PCH fan or a more active one or a more active CPU fan can still get some audible difference as the CPU shifts and kick into gear when needed, browsing a more busy website is a easy way to get it to happen although I imagine the GPU would bear the brunt of it when hardware acceleration is active.

For some reason the manual mode for the Power Whatever 5 thing and fan config on these boards won't let you change the P0 state as much as I'd want for a higher minimum speed although locking it to max is supported but seems like a waste when a bit higher minimum speed should still keep it nice and silent and without this little burst of activity before back to near idle and the fan(s) stopping.

EDIT: PBO and some other "auto" overclock modes might also still be kinda beta or mostly unsupported or less reliable and you get a slight boost in clocks for a not as slight boost of power draw or voltage increase instead of a more finer customization and a possible more meaningful boost although only up until whatever limits AGESA currently has.

1.0.0.2 I think it was lowered the temp threshold and a few other things plus there's max speeds depending on CPU model which for the 3900's I think it's 4.7 Ghz and then lowered on the 3800's and so on.
    (But manual tuning can give some good results I'd imagine or pushing into 5.0 wouldn't be possible if that was a hard cap.)

There's some better guides on this some also by 1Usmus as part of this power plan with better explanations than anything I could ever do.
    (And a pretty good overclock one for Threadripper TX40 but still applicable to Ryzen and the 3000's on the whole CCX and tuning these and how it works.)

A few different guides in total for memory and the infinity fabric as well, issues around the stored XMP's and motherboards having different internal timing tables and all that for when the profile itself lacks more than the primary and secondary values and sensitivity to some adjustments like Gear Down Mode and various other values even if some can make a good difference to performance or latency. :)

Also preferred differences between CPU models with single or double CCX's like dual or quad slot RAM sticks even if the 3000 series and AGESA updates have improved reliability which was something I had overlooked entirely initially.

To sum it up it's pretty complicated which I guess isn't anything new but it is a change coming from a earlier Intel system and re-learning just about everything and it's kinda important too even if it can still work really well to mostly just flip the XMP and keep the bios and software up to date. :D
    (Not the best of explanations but it's interesting and a bit fascination though also kinda complicated heh.)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    DeskStar likes this.
  14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    1. for most, PBO/Auto OC should be off, 3xxx chips are pretty much binned for what they can do,
    so unless chasing for numbers, or you need something to play with, can usually be ignored for normal user.
    2. lots of ppl have issues when using XMP profiles, vs setting clock/timings/voltage manually (matching profile).

especially when using 2004/ latest bios/latest chipset driver and (amd) balanced profile, with settings for 1usmus power plan set in bios,
    the 3600/3800 i messed with all clock higher/lower than before, while also being less twitchy on clock change,
    and not boosting to 4gh on all cores just because i moved my mouse.
    now with set to 99/100, i dont see the sudden bursts for clocks i have seen before, when rig is idle/low load, seems smoother.

DeskStar likes this.
  15. Widebody

Widebody Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super
    Hello,

Lurker/Noobie needs some insight on whether some values on HWinfo are safe..
    Been reading and searching a lot, but I don't seem to be finding the answer I need.
    Would appreciate the help if possible, thanks.

Some background on my settings

3900x
    - XMP Profile
    - DRAM Voltage 1.35v
    - PBO left on Auto in BIOS
    - Ryzen Master is on Default
    - Manual Fan curve or else fans ramp up when I move my mouse
    - 1 usmus Ryzen Power Plan (And all the settings mentioned in the instructions)

Before the power plan, none of the cores ever hit the 4.6, now after implementing the power plan, three cores will hit that speed.
    Temperatures at idle & load are a few degrees lower as well.

But my main concern is seeing a high value in HWinfo for CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN), at maximum it is hitting 1.537V and average of 1.454V. I do not ever remember seeing values this consistently high, so I am asking for some help to clarify if this is safe..?

Deleted member 213629 likes this.

16. Scrub the power plan read the above previous posts as they explain why & what to do & as far as your SVI2 TFN I'd recc running that question by these folks here friend, https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/t...imings-tweaking-cooling-part-2.423134/page-91 It's our Ryzen OC thread; lots of tips, settings defaults info & folks that know it all in there' I'd recommend that thread for certain.

Welcome to the forum btw; we hope you stay!

Widebody likes this.
  17. The wrong one chosen may cause interrupts during operation (system lockups, freezing, panics). I don't know for certain that 100% of all modern systems have issue forcing typical load. Not everyone's system is the same nor reads BIOS settings/interprets them the same, for instance in some cases AUTO means disable (Just thinking out loud there). You have your Motherboard//PSU/Firmware & far as 50/50 it isn't a gamble it's which one is intended for that configuration because of the hardware makeup. Not 50/50 like we're playing a game of craps :cool:. Hope that helps with some context man'

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2020
  18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    there are (always) physical/electrical/sw reasons for (bios) settings.
    So you saying "it may" and "not curtain" , is as good as throwing a coin up in the air and picking one setting...