1st Witcher 2 review is IN!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by sAAdC, May 11, 2011.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @Noisiv - The game world opens up in Chapter 1 and offers a surprising amount of freedom for exploration but you'll still encounter invisible barriers which prevent Geralt from entering water or falling from a cliff for example and thick foliage and rubble means that you end up having to find routes round things at times. It all feels natural and believable though (presumably Geralt can't swim or doesn't like water?).

Give the game a chance and play Chapter 1 before you decide to write the game off. The Prologue section is intended as a tutorial, an introduction to the game's mechanics even if they're not always explained well, but the game doesn't really start until you reach Flotsam.

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Roger that Darren. I'll do that xD

Although that half-rotten barrel and two wooden planks second ago in a sewer did not feel like a convincing way to stop a monster slayer, but hey they did xD

Also what's up with unnecessary delays? When I hit Map, or Inventory or Quests button I want to be taken there IMMEDIATELY, not having to have 0.5 second animation.

It's when these little things are done right we can talk about game being truly polished.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I actually agree with his post in a way. Tw2 is still a better game. DA2 was great but tw2 is better where it counts....

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    http://www.videogamer.com/news/witcher_2_patch_coming_next_week.html

Patch coming next week, GoG forum info is a bit divided and CDPR forums are in Russian so I'm unsure on exact info but supposedly they're working to fix their website and the account management while also programming away on Witcher 2, somewhere around a 1000 or so (Likely most are rather minor.) issues have been corrected.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Agreed

6. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Check out some cut scenes where they show geralt's yellow eyes. Wow they look really good in some scenes.

Btw i notcied some type of embroidery type of effect on some of the character's faces in chapter 1 during the swamp section.

7. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI FE
    Try to set it like this :

Gamma : 100 %

Brightness : 50 %

That did it for me :0)

And it removed ALOT of the excessive bloom from Geraldt arms and face and colors look more natural ...

8. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Not sure if it helps, i used xpadder to get around it, i created a new profile in xpadder and simply assigned the back key to F5 and nothing else, i then went into the user.ini file and removed the line.

IK_Pad_Back_Select=(GameKey="GI_Exit",Value=1)

Once ingame all the controls work just as normal but now the back button quick saves, if you have xpadder give it a try.

9. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  10. sAAdC

sAAdC Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX260M 1GB
    :funny:

So true....... :D !

11. MfA

MfA Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    How do you kill Draug or is there anyway to kill him really ? cant stand against him 30 seconds.. desperate

12. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI FE
    So is there anywhere that you can stash items ?

In the Witcher 1 it was at the inn, but cant find it in TW2 ...

13. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
    Ohh,the game has at least by me a memory leak problem.It stops after half an hour or one hour.When I look at the task manager I see that the game takes nearly 2 Gb of memory.I couldn't find a solution till now :3eyes:

14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I doubt it's a memory leak. Remember, the engine does a lot of streaming of data from both the hardrive and the memory, so the memory usage is going to be high..

If you're having problems with the game stopping or freezing, then lower your settings a bit, particularly the texture size and the LOD distance.

15. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    This is probably one of the best games i ever played. And first masterpieace since Baldrus Gate 2 !

Very smooth gameplay , no crashes or anything. Im suprised because ive seen many reports game has technical issues.

[​IMG]

16. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI FE
    Is it just me or is this game EVEN harder than Demon souls ???

Easy is to EASY and normal is too HARD ... LOL

Is it just me or is there no pointer on the map doing side quest´s ?

Where do i destroy the nekker´s entrance ?

17. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Ha I'm doing the destroy the 4 nekkers entrances also right now, but there's no markers as to where they are.

18. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I never played demon souls, but this game definitely has a learning curve to it.

I've found that the hardest thing about combat, is doing combos and making sure they connect. If you're good at combos, then taking out your enemies will be FAR easier, because with combos, your attacks do a lot more damage.

But if you're just hitting without any reason or rhyme, then you're going to have problems.

Also, another thing, is that you have to be mindful of the target indicator. If Geralt is facing an opponent, it doesn't mean he's necessarily locked on to him.

So if you want to be good at Witcher 2 combat, make sure you understand the timing involved in executing combos, and that the target indicator determines who (or what) it is you're attacking.

As for the Nekker nests, there's four of them in the forest near Lobinden. You have to throw bombs down into the holes to get rid of them.

19. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    We have to get the grapeshot bomb from Cedric Sleeper.

20. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    im playing on hard and don't find it "that" hard. you just have to remember to always use the protective spell and dodge alot.
    especially for shielded enemies, also idk, i find demons souls a bit harder due to alot of things you can do and mess up your game without knowing.

like for example dying in a world while you're alive, messes up the white tendecy or something.
    and other things like that, also because guys with double dragonbones can invade your game and **** you over haha.

but im LOVING this game, it's been awhile since i've been challenged in a game, and the graphics and story only make it so much better! :D :D :D