1st ever PC build - 4K - $2500ish

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Texas Longhorn, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Texas Longhorn

Texas Longhorn New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 550
    Copy and pasted from what I posted on Reddit:

What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

Pretty much 4K gaming for sure. Video editing and things I may experiment with in the future but right now strictly gaming.

If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

4K 60hz maxed out or as close as I can for the most part.

What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

Including monitor maybe around $2500 give or take. Flexible

In what country are you purchasing your parts?

USA

Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Tk2mnn

Provide any additional details you wish below.

In a nutshell I'm looking at building my 1st ever PC. Don't laugh at me but I'm a big console gamer. Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, LG 65C6P 4K Oled. So I'm used to 30-60 hz and my best friends play on console so I'm ok with aiming for 4K 60hz vs doing 1440P at insane refresh rates. Based on my monitor being 4K 60hz with Gsync I'm kind of building around that. I'm trying to go for a "white" theme so parts that are white. Big window on case to see all these parts would be nice too.

I haven't had an actual PC to game on since 2006 so very excited to have the income to jump in. Thoughts?

2. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    You're going to have trouble hitting 4k60 in many games without making compromises in the graphics settings on a single 1080ti, and many games don't support sli or have bad sli scaling. You may want to wait a few months until Nvidia announces their next card.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Looks solid to me, also IMO good budget-conscious choices with Ryzen CPU and B350 mobo.

Few points to check:

- you could save a bit by going for 1600 CPU instead of 1600X and just overclock it a bit. The X is slightly higher clocked by default, otherwise they're the exact same processor (and as you aren't getting a X370 chipset mobo you won't get XFR functionality anyway)

- make sure the memory kit is on the motherboards QVL or that it uses Samsung B-die modules. Saves you trouble ;)

- the CPU cooler uses a sleeve bearing fan + isn't necessarily AM4 compatible out-of-the-box (needs adapter). Sleeve bearings may wear out quickly and become noisy

and as said don't expect to hit 4K60 with maxed settings in but a select few cases. You need to drop settings for 60 fps in most games I think.

Refer to Guru3D VGA charts / game performance reviews for more info if you have specific games in mind:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-categories/game-reviews.html

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    crap I am so out of date with this stuff but still love reading your guys posts. You have a nice budget.

I would go g-sync I know that much for sure. Also nothing wrong with being a consul gamer, we play xbox one all the time. Gl dude. Pc master race!