1st & 2nd pieces of my 4k/120hz upgrade

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Mda400, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    1660 - 2130/10ghz
    Have been waiting to upgrade my home theater/gaming setup from 1080p@60hz/HDMI 1.3 to 4k@120hz/HDMI 2.1.

I was waiting for an AV receiver under 700$ that supported HDMI 2.1.

Denon AVR-s960h

[​IMG]

Next piece I'm looking at, is the 48" 4k CX OLED from LG but waiting to see if it may come down in price temporarily around the holidays.

Also waiting to see the next generation of graphics cards from either AMD or Nvidia. That will likely be the last part I upgrade.

Edit:

A couple weeks ago, decided i couldn't wait any longer and bought the 48" CX OLED from LG (since I could play around with G-Sync with my poor GTX 1660, which works perfectly through the audio receiver too).

LG OLED48CXPUB

[​IMG]

Picture is unlike any other display. They say the brightness on OLED's is a short-coming, but with the PC HDMI input label applied (disables ABL/automatic brightness limit) I only need to turn the OLED light to 6/100, even for daytime situations in my office.

Now to wait until AMD shows what they have to compete with Nvidia's upcoming graphics cards and hopefully keeps pricing from going up. Hopefully a kidney is not required as i feel i have practically sold one already!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    dope...

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    First thing I'd do when it's all hooked up is listen to Pink Floyd's Animals album.

Mda400 and The1 like this.

4. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    1660 - 2130/10ghz
    My old system was an LG LHB-326 that i had since 2011. It was nice for the time, had a "bypass" sound mode for making sure the audio didn't go through any tone control (bass/treble) or psychoacoustic effects like pretending im in an arena!

But it didn't have a subwoofer pre-out connector and i was just using the passive subwoofer that came along with it.

Once i growed up and got around to buying an AVR that i felt was next-generation enough, had to of course get a powered subwoofer as there wasn't any speaker-level connections for the sub. And why would i want that any way after listening to how the Polk PSW505 i purchased made me realize what i was missing in the low frequencies!?

The mid-range and treble definitely had more clarify with this new AVR (with all the guts a power user's AVR has in it). Still using the satellite speakers SB95SA/SB that came with the old LG system, they have a 20w tweeter and a 90w 3-1/4" mid-range driver in them so they actually can take some power and it does sound good enough to keep them until i get a place with more room ;)

You darn right i listened to things like Dire Straits, The Eagles, Rush, etc. on it. I keep my unit with Eco mode on and in Direct sound mode and it has more than enough volume/clarity for the space i live in. Doesn't even need a fan for how big it is, versus the old system with its little ~ 40mm fan whizzing up from time to time.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  5. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    1660 - 2130/10ghz
    Although some reviews from people who purchased it i read that they didn't like it only had 1x 8k/4k120 input, at this time i know for myself it will only be my computer that i will be using with that input.

I felt that by the time if any devices i had, needed something higher than HDMI 2.0's 18gbps limit that there may be an HDMI 2.1 switch available that i would just purchase instead.

Not sure if this AVR supports Display Stream Compression, which is included in the HDMI 2.1 specification (though i don't know if its mandatory or optional to provide functionality for), but i figured if i ever step up to 8k in the future it will be on an AVR (or some futuristic device that can utilize sound and video to comparable quality!) that would need to support 8k at 120hz. I am betting this AVR cannot do that, but if so and if DSC does not cause any noticeable video delay to my preference, then that would be awesome!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.