1GB or 2GB?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fajitasforme7, Apr 30, 2006.

1. fajitasforme7

fajitasforme7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    what exactly is the difference between having 1GB AND 2GB ram? im pretty sure games load faster but whatelse?

2. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    Well, with certain games like F.E.A.R and BF2, at high settings, the textures use more than 1GB of ram, around 1.2. This way, if you only have 1GB, you may notice some stuttering. I used to big time on my 256 X800GTO2, but when I got my 512XTX, it went away so I assumed that the extra 256mb had helped.

1GB will typically be faster in benchmarks as tighter timings are offered and the famed TCCD IC doesn't come in 2x1GB flavour.

Basically, you can't go wrong getting 2gb, and if you're trying to future-proof, I have a strange feeling games will start taking advantage of the growing consumer market for 2x1gb sticks.

IMO, go 2GB.

3. kakarocht

kakarocht Member

GPU:
    MSI 7600GT 256x2 SLi
    If you're more on gaming go for 2GB Ram. Gd luck.

4. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    An interesting article I read (I can't find it now) showed the 2GB sticks actually decreasing FPS by, at most, 1FPS due to the looser timings. However, the stuttering caused by BF2 and FEAR with only 1GB is not an FPS issue, so 2GB will actually make the game run smoother.

5. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    I think with 512MB vid card, 1GB RAM is pretty sufficent, save the money for DDR2. Though if you don't plan to upgrade for a while then 2GB is the way to go since next gen game will probably need those amount of RAM to run smoothly.

6. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    2 GB helps a lot in games .... ideally for now 1 GB is enough to run all the other operations ....

7. chennhui02

chennhui02 Member Guru

2GB RAM definitely help BF2 on high settings. Others benefit such as switching/opening application by minimizing game to desktop work lots faster...

8. fajitasforme7

fajitasforme7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    k thnx everybody,im not sure if im getting 2GB but since im getting a 512mb graphics card i think i should be set for a bit if i dont get the extra 1GB

9. messerchmidt

messerchmidt Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 7900GT @ GTX
    hey man - look around you can get a 2gb kit pretty cheap now

i got this; http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17771 (Canada)

check newegg,etc if your in the states for thier specials.

i download torrents, run 5 apps at once, etc - 2gb helps - I am at 1T timmings with this ram @ 238mhz DDR

10. pieisgood

pieisgood Master Guru

GPU:
    4870 512mb
    yah i would go with 2gb if you have the funds ;) but you can get 2gb(2x1gb) ddr400 g-skil ram at newegg.com for $150. thats what i am planning on getting. GL

11. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5870 Lightning
    Go for 2GB.
    Most games use around 800MB today. Combined with your other programs that will make it a little above 1GB, which means that you will have no memory left.

Games like FEAR and Quake4 take up a lot of ram. I have 75% of my ram used up in those games.

12. Ankit kukreti

Ankit kukreti Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 7600 GT
    Yeah even I read that more ram can slow your pc. But currently only very few games take advantage of 2gb. So if 1 gb is doing the job for you then may be you can wait little longer.

13. Chocolinx

Chocolinx Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi X1950 Pro 256MB
    Will WOW take up more than 1 GB?

14. kerpunkin27

kerpunkin27 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX+
    If you playing older games stick to 1 gig, But if you play the new stuff like bf2/fear/oblivion/call of duty 2 then get 2 gigs.