197.41 and GTX 470 initial problem and other stuff

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Paul5850, May 8, 2010.

1. Paul5850

Paul5850 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phantom GTX 970
    Hello.
    Today I bought a new GTX 470 that replaces my HD 5850 * exclusively for 3D Vision move *.

Just before changing the graphics card I used Driver Sweeper to clear every ATI thing I had.
    After that I installed the Nvidia drivers from my CD and later downloaded 197.41 from the internet and installed, restartet and just after a few seconds in Windows 7 the screen went wild once, reappeared normal with a message that said "The display driver has stopped responding and recovered". Then when I opened my browser it did it again just to go black finally and need a reset.
    Afterwards I restarted din safe mode, cleared all the Nvidia drivers and installed it again and same problem only I realized that in my GPU-Z there were some very weird numbers such as Memory Clock 45500Mhz or something like that till it went blank again.
    My idea was simply to enter the BIOS and Load Optimized Defaults, just after that I repeated the safe mode thing with Driver Sweeper and after I installed directly the drivers there has been no problem.
    The only thing that is bugging me a bit is that in GPU-Z my GPU Clock=Default Clock ( not like in 5850 by ATI ), that my memory is 837 and not as much as it's specified for the 470 and that's 1280 so a big difference.
    Also, even though the GPU-Z says that all the default clocks are similar to GPU Clock ( face to ATI 400Mhz v. 725 ) in Idle the card simply uses 50.5 GPU Core Clock and 67.5 Memory clock in the condition that 5850 used 400 respectively 1000!
    The temperature is surprisingly low in IDLE now at 48 Celcius though!

I'm still worried about those artifacts followed by black screen even though the problems seems to be done, just want to see if it's a natural thing for that to happen :infinity:.

Oh and, Hello nVidia ! :)

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    As long as the issue is taken care of now it sounds more like a driver conflict than a bad card.

Nothing to worry about I think.

3. GAR818

GAR818 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    going from ati to nvidia does that in win 7, happend to he, nothing to worry about, just do a clean reinstall.

4. bummerman

bummerman Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 tri-crossfire
    it's possible gpuz is not reading the fermi card correctly, especially if this program hqas not been updated to latest version. Try MSI Afterburner 1.6 beta

5. bummerman

bummerman Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 tri-crossfire
    oh, you don't have to uninstall ATI drivers, necessarily, to get the Fermi's to work

6. Paul5850

Paul5850 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phantom GTX 970
    Thanks guys, so it's no problem.

About the GPU-Z, i think it shows 837 because it's GDDR5 ( 837x4=3348? )

Anybody with 470 to confirm? :D
    It's also the latest version of GPU-Z.

7. ilam3d

ilam3d New Member

GPU:
    GTX 470 sli + 9800 gtx ph
    Correct, memory is alright.
    Defaults on GPU-Z should be:
    Core:608
    Memory:837
    Shader:1215

About the main problem.. I don't know... Try to clean again and then go for the latest drivers.

Gar also suggests that its common if you switch from red to green on win 7. So you might wanna do a clean reinstall.

If that doesn't work the card might be defective and you should RMA.

8. Paul5850

Paul5850 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phantom GTX 970
    The problem with the drivers have been solved. I asked if it's a common problem and it seems like it is since I changed from red to green.x
    Since then I had no problems.