186.82 WHQL at Microsoft Update (all desktop + notebook cards)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by justinkw1, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    The 186.82 drivers have been the best for me to date, exceeding the 182.50's and 186.18's in every game I've played.

Games tried,
    CoD4
    CoD:WaW
    CS:S
    FarCry2
    UT3
    Crysis

2. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 980TI Classified
    Kind of gay that these aren't out for xp. Hearing and reading a lot of good things about them.

3. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    after using these for a couple days im quite pleased.. Ive pretty much only played FO3 with them, but 5+ fps gain over 186.24 and it feels a tad bit smoother (and 186.24 seemed great in FO3)

definitely a keeper for me so far

4. Pedroshin

Pedroshin Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SC
    Good drivers so far. The first to make me leave 182.5.

5. Wintrmte

Wintrmte Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295
    Where are the drivers stored when Win7 downloads them? Everytime Windows Update goes to install it, it seems to work then I get the message saying the update failed to install.

Is there someplace else I can go to get the drivers? I have uninstalled the 186.18 drivers and tried it that way, also tried removing with driver sweeper, same results.

Thanks!

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Same *&$ ()$*# *%$)#+ problem. These drivers will not install via Windows update on Windows 7 64bit RTM. Yeah folks I tried all the usual. What is really freaky is after the install fails it says the driver installed is 190.38 which is not on my system. Weird.

7. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 Ti
    Just download it from the link in the original post?

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Doh! Thanks Haze I didn't see that in the original post. Still WUPDate is FU'ed.

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I too had problems getting this set installed when I did an uninstall of previous set and used Driver Sweeper.
    Windows 7 gave me error on driver signature on them, I even tried to take the check off.
    Plus Driver Sweeper removes the build in WDM driver which makes it even worse, since then the cards can't be recognized, and you need to give them a driver via Windows Update to get any driver installed at all.
    So... Driver Sweeper is currently worse then good for Windows 7.

The trick to get this set installed... I installed 186.18 and then 186.82 on top.
    Checked that all files had the .82 stamp, which they got.

The 186.82 itself works flawless, using both RT 2.24C and NH 2.5.1 with them.

Only waiting for a new exhaust fan for my case, so I can push things a bit and do some benchmarking.(The RV01 sucks at getting hot air out fast enough with a GTX dual SLI setup).
    But seems like most games generally run a bit smoother with this set, compared to 190.xx drivers.
    Plus the 3D to 2D clock changing works like it should.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  10. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080TI Duke
    Yeah.. download the .cab and extract it. Then just run the Setup.exe. I also took the latest physx software from the 190.62 and everything is going good.. been running it for few days now with no problems.

11. Valagard

Valagard Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FE
    That was the big kicker for me, the 190 series have been notoriously bad for suddenly 2D clocking your card during gameplay, sometimes permanently until a reboot even

But these run faster, run smoother, run COOLER and no 2D clocks while playing games

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That was my original install was over the 186.18. It failed with a error code 80070103 which says: If you receive Windows Update error 80070103 while installing updates, you might be trying to install a driver that is already installed on your computer or a driver that might be less compatible than one you already have installed.

So naturally I went through all the usual steps remove driver, reboot safe mode, driver sweeper, tried driver cleaner...etc etc... rinses repeat multiple times. No joy. Downloading an using the cab file worked fine.

13. darkw0lfe

darkw0lfe Member

GPU:
    SLI 570GTX
    These are hands down the fastest and most stable drivers I have touched to date. :)

14. Stevedroid

Stevedroid Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    What cards/chipsets are these driers actually for on Windows Update? The laptop chipsets?

It seems with desktop chipsets you get 190.38 using Windows Update normally. I know how to install these drivers from the linked cab - I'm just curious as to why they were put on Windows Update in the first place and why nVidia wouldn't have them anywhere on their own site.

15. Wintrmte

Wintrmte Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295
    This is irritating. I tried installing via the .cab file and I get the nvidia error message saying it couldn't locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware.

I'm running a GTX 295 for crap sakes, so it kind of leads me to believe that the above poster has hit the nail on the head in that desktop chipsets seem to get 190.38?

Do I need to use a modified .INF to get these to install?

16. Wintrmte

Wintrmte Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295
    Got it figured out. I had to unzip the file "additional_infs.zip", which contains two .inf files on top of those in the install directory. The .zip file is in the install directory as well.

What a kludge.

17. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780ti
    I also have GTX 295.
    Try to do this.
    1. Download file from the original post.
    2. Extract everything is some new folder using winzip.
    3. Uninstall current display driver.
    4. Boot into safe mod.
    5. Run driver sweeper cleaning NVIDIA display drivers.
    6. Boot nomal into windows.
    7. Open folder with extracted drivers and run setup application.

Should work.
    For me also the best set of drivers so far.
    If you noticed this driver has most positive feedback from people in a long time for all kind of cards starting from 6xxx series up to 2xx series.

18. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780ti
    Oh you already did. Sorry did not see the last post.

19. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 980TI Classified
    That's why I'm so interested in trying it. But there isn't any word on the xp version of these which I find kind of lame. Hope they come out soon. Wanna try them out since it got so much good feedback.

20. Celeras

Celeras Banned

GPU:
    eVGA GTX780 ACX SC
    Wow, going from 190.38 to these did some crazy to the color display. I dont know how to explain it, but all the colors are just.... wrong. I suck at the terminology, but everything is brighter... contrast? **** if I know, but can't figure out what was changed. Would like to get this straightened out before i try benchmarks, ideas?

[edit] Nevermind I'm blind, it was on the first page. Digital Vibrance was changed to 79%.. thanks ThEc :) I dont remember what the default was for 190.38 though, anybody know? I just set it to 0 for now.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009